Questions for the more experienced European cruisers.

RorySC

Going on 2 cruises this September out of Civitavecchia.  (As a reference, we are D+) so have been on many cruises, but never in Europe. As we have started cruising back in the 90's where dress codes were either enforced more, or taken more seriously. Though I will still ware at least a sport coat in the evenings in the MDR, I too have taken more of the attitude of "If you can not beat them, join them" and no longer travel with a Tux or two. Though I sure miss where everyone was dressed in the evenings. I am not judging, you do you!

My question is, over in Europe, are dress codes taken more serious? Obviously in and around the pool area Europeans have different sunbathing customs that are not so much in the USA other then Spring Brake .

What should I prepare for, how to pack?

28 minutes ago, RorySC said:

Going on 2 cruises this September out of Civitavecchia.  (As a reference, we are D+) so have been on many cruises, but never in Europe. As we have started cruising back in the 90's where dress codes were either enforced more, or taken more seriously. Though I will still ware at least a sport coat in the evenings in the MDR, I too have taken more of the attitude of "If you can not beat them, join them" and no longer travel with a Tux or two. Though I sure miss where everyone was dressed in the evenings. I am not judging, you do you!

My question is, over in Europe, are dress codes taken more serious? Obviously in and around the pool area Europeans have different sunbathing customs that are not so much in the USA other then Spring Brake .

I just got back from a cruise on Wonder from Civitavecchia.  The dress was very similar to what you see in the US.  Because we stayed additional days, we were trying to limit luggage.  I didn't even bring my usually dinner jacket - I wore only casual polo style shirts with a nice pair of pants.  I did not feel out of place at all.

Pool customs on the ship were also the same but you would be very likely to see topless bathers at most European beaches.

9 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We are doing our first Europe cruise in August and we decided not to take "formal" clothes this time.  We plan of business casual for dinner so I am happy to see doing so will be acceptable.

How are things going for your Jewel cruise ?  I am sure sorry that we aren’t going to be able to go !  😢

I hope you will give us a little real-time feedback while you’re there.  Have a great time !

23 hours ago, RorySC said:

How do you want to appear to others?  I watch Rick Steve's videos, and he wears long pants rather than shorts along with a collared shirt.  This is for walking around, getting into churches, and dining in family restaurants.  Seems like a good guide except for bumming around the ship with other tourists.  I always pack a coat to Europe but wear it with slacks while traveling.  Then I change to shorts and T-shirt from my carryon.  I find my sport coat gets more wrinkled in the suitcase.  

47 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

How are things going for your Jewel cruise ?  I am sure sorry that we aren’t going to be able to go !  😢

I hope you will give us a little real-time feedback while you’re there.  Have a great time !

We are getting so excited for this "Bucket List" trip!  We have excursions at every port so I will update our journey so you can get a little glimpse.  The Roll Call board is pretty active and one couple will actually be on the same return flight as we are.  I am super excited that we won't have to test to return to the US!!!  It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they stopped the embarkation testing too but I know that won't happen for this trip.  

We will be aboard the Harmony (Western Caribbean) in 31 days cruising with family.  We have been so extremely busy with our work schedules that this will be a much needed break for us.  My oldest Granddaughter has talked us into Swimming with Pigs so that will be a first for me 😱

31 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We are getting so excited for this "Bucket List" trip!  We have excursions at every port so I will update our journey so you can get a little glimpse.  The Roll Call board is pretty active and one couple will actually be on the same return flight as we are.  I am super excited that we won't have to test to return to the US!!!  It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they stopped the embarkation testing too but I know that won't happen for this trip.  

We will be aboard the Harmony (Western Caribbean) in 31 days cruising with family.  We have been so extremely busy with our work schedules that this will be a much needed break for us.  My oldest Granddaughter has talked us into Swimming with Pigs so that will be a first for me 😱

I am so excited for you.  I will be enjoying it with you.

I've done 18 European cruises over the last 20 years or so...and have three more coming up in the next 10 months!  When we go, the shortest cruise or cruises (B2B) we have taken was 10 nights...but, even with that, we added an additional 11 nights on land.  We just don't like to fly all the way to Europe and not take advantage of making it a long trip.  Luckily, my wife and I have both had the kind of jobs that allowed for long vacations.  But, with that, the issue has always been luggage limitations.  Even on trips where we've flown business class and were alowed additional luggage, it is still not practical to drag too much luggage onto taxis or Ubers or to drag it around in places one might have to walk a little.

When we first started cruising to Europe and true formal wear was completely in vogue, I solved the issue by leaving by tux at home and renting one onboard.  However, cruise lines no longer rent tuxes.  Luckily, things have gotten less and less formal.  Oceania has no formal nights.  Celebrity has replaced formal with "evening chic".  I no longer pack a tux...or even a business suit.  And no ties.  What I do pack, rather than to go completely casual on those nights, is a pair of black Dockers, a couple of long sleve black/white shirts and  black polyester sports coat (keeps wrinkles to a minimum).  I also pack a couple of black/gray golf shirts so I can also use the black Dockers on some of the casual nights.  The black/black sports coat combo appears "formal enough" and leaves me more formally dressed than most onboard...yet takes up less weight and space in my luggage.

The biggest issue is packing enough clothes in 50 lbs. of luggage to last for my entire trip (My upcoming August trip is 30 days total--an 8 night cruise, a 12 night cruise and 9 hotel nights before, between and after plus an overnight flight)...Since, reasonably, I can pack for approximately 10 days max, the keys are 1) NOT taking formal wear and 2) Doing laundry along the way--taking advantage of RCCL's laundry bag and of my Celebrity Elite Plus free laundry.  Still takes a lot of planning.

Good luck... 

Thank goodness we get two bags (70#) each going and two (50#) each on our return flight.  I guess the poundage difference is we are flying Delta One going over but Premium Select coming back home (can't get Delta One on the return for some reason).  I guess I will have to keep it under 50# per case so I can bring home stuff that I buy there.  Good thing I just checked to see....

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

How do you want to appear to others?  I watch Rick Steve's videos, and he wears long pants rather than shorts along with a collared shirt.  This is for walking around, getting into churches, and dining in family restaurants.  Seems like a good guide except for bumming around the ship with other tourists.  I always pack a coat to Europe but wear it with slacks while traveling.  Then I change to shorts and T-shirt from my carryon packed in carry-on.  I find my sport coat gets more wrinkled in the suitcase.  

I picked up some cargo style pants at Costco at all places that were great for Europe.  They had several zipper pockets that allowed me to keep my wallet and passport safe.