Covid Antigen Test Question

Hello Cruisers! 

I wanted to know if anyone has had first hand experience with having a proctored antigen test at a pharmacy or other location.  I ask this because one of my family members just recived an  invalid test result. Luckily they tested on day 2 and tomorrow is day 1. So they are going to go to the same place to get tested again. While I do believe that there should be no issues, I still want to have a contingency plan. That plan is to have a proctored antigen test. I know Walgreens offers this and it is accepted type of testing as the family member is fully vaccinated.  I wanted to ask the community what the test report looks like and ensure that it has all the information that is needed. If anyone has done the antigen test for cruising on site please let me know. Thank you !

5 hours ago, leesam82 said:

Hello Cruisers! 

I wanted to know if anyone has had first hand experience with having a proctored antigen test at a pharmacy or other location.  I ask this because one of my family members just recived an  invalid test result. Luckily they tested on day 2 and tomorrow is day 1. So they are going to go to the same place to get tested again. While I do believe that there should be no issues, I still want to have a contingency plan. That plan is to have a proctored antigen test. I know Walgreens offers this and it is accepted type of testing as the family member is fully vaccinated.  I wanted to ask the community what the test report looks like and ensure that it has all the information that is needed. If anyone has done the antigen test for cruising on site please let me know. Thank you !

It could be difficult to book a same day appointment, you might want to check that out and book ASAP if that’s your back up plan.

13 hours ago, SunnyDays said:

@Mattthat is good to know.  I am thinking of doing the rapid antigen at CVS on Day 2 prior to sailing out of Rome.  Thanks.

Check the Rome requirement - might be one day before. Several European countries (Greece and Italy, at least in May) required 1 day testing.

10 minutes ago, 711Dave said:

I see the Walgreen's Rapid NAAT 2 hour testing is acceptable by Royal Caribbean but how about Walgreen's Rapid antigen 2 hour test?

Is that one also acceptable by Royal Caribbean?

Thanks 

My Walgreens now only does the Rapid NAAT or the PCR only.  I purchased the eMed proctored antigen tests that we will use for our two upcoming cruises.  However, I plan on booking with Walgreens as a backup in case I mess up on the eMed.  My Walgreens will let you schedule 1 week in advance but not sure if you can get an appointment on short notice.

I was able to get an appointment today. My family member decided not only to re do their test at the original location but also go to Walgreens for the rapid naat. The stress level is so high right now because Walgreens has not sent me the results and it has been more than 4 hours. I have called them and they verbally confirmed the test as negative which is a relief but I still don't have paperwork. They said it could take anywhere between another 3 hours to 24 ish!!!! I was told by the staff that if I don't get the results with in the next few hours to give them a call and they can have the a copy of the lab report printed. Has anyone done this before? Is this the same report you get via email? 

@LCWind I spoke with the pharmacy staff today. I still have not received the email. So out of an abundance of caution I asked them to print out my test report. I was told by the pharmacist that it is the same test report that is given via email. This is the first time that we have experienced such a delay in test reporting with the Rapid NAAT. I would reach out to them and have them print a copy for you. Hope this helps. 

You know, reading this thread, and others, I've come to the conclusion that going to your local 5 & Dime pharmacy (which I include the big box pharmacies) for a rapid COVID test is hit and miss.  I've only done the at home proctored COVID tests (iHealth and eMed.  But, iHealth is out of the at home proctored testing now) and found them to be flawless.  Yes, I'm sure some folks have had issues.  So, I'd recommend the at home proctored self tests to anyone/everyone.  Hopefully, this is all MOOT sooner than later.

🐄

Not sure what’s going on with the above posters but I’ve read hundreds of reports of those who have used Walgreens & 99% have received their e-mail results in under 2 hours, many in under 30 minutes.

Everyone obviously has to make their own decisions but it’s Walgreens for me.

11 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Not sure what’s going on with the above posters but I’ve read hundreds of reports of those who have used Walgreens & 99% have received their e-mail results in under 2 hours, many in un

der 30 minutes.

Everyone obviously has to make their own decisions but it’s Walgreens for me.

Yes they do!

15 hours ago, leesam82 said:

@LCWind I spoke with the pharmacy staff today. I still have not received the email. So out of an abundance of caution I asked them to print out my test report. I was told by the pharmacist that it is the same test report that is given via email. This is the first time that we have experienced such a delay in test reporting with the Rapid NAAT. I would reach out to them and have them print a copy for you. Hope this helps. 

Make sure there is not a typo in the email - this happened to my brother once and he was able to get Walgreens to re-send to the correct email address.

20 hours ago, leesam82 said:

Thanks. Walgreens said they have a system glitch.  They printed the test reports for us too! Enjoy your cruise.

I've  posted on this subject before. To reiterate, the PCR test and NAAT tests are both molecular tests. They are more sensitive. A PCR test goes to a lab and can take 72h to result. The NAAT is done by machine at the place the test is run and takes 2-6h to result depending on demand at the site running the test. The eMed among other home monitored tests are antigen tests and less sensitive.  These take about 15 -30 minutes to result by phone app and email. I support the idea of doing home tests 2d prior backed up by NAAT tests 1d prior. I've needed to use the back up plan 2x in 12 cruises since the restart, June 21. It happens but infrequently. Had one bad eMed test (defective) and one I did it 3d prior by mistake. eMed replaced the bad test. One tip: if you've had Covid there's a remote chance molecular tests will pick up viral material that persists even though you're long past being infective. Choose wisely.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

The NAAT is done by machine at the place the test is run and takes 2-6h to result depending on demand at the site running the test.

Then how is it that you get your results from Walgreens in as little as 30 minutes?

Maybe you just meant the testing site might take that long to send your results b/c the test itself obviously has to be much quicker.

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Then how is it that you get your results from Walgreens in as little as 30 minutes?

Walgreens uses about 3 types of tests.  I'm going to assume and it is just my opinion that the 30 minute test that Walgreens uses is the Antigen Test, the same kind you would buy at Walgreens and use at home except that they administer and supervise it:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-testing.jsp

13 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

Walgreens uses about 3 types of tests.  I'm going to assume and it is just my opinion that the 30 minute test that Walgreens uses is the Antigen Test, the same kind you would buy at Walgreens and use at home except that they administer and supervise it:

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-testing.jsp

So when every Walgreens near me says they don't offer an antigen test anymore, only the NAAT test as far as rapid goes, you assume they are all lying?

I'm going to assume I'm getting the NAAT test.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The NAAT test offered at the popular pharmacies takes an hour to run.

Same question... then how do Walgreens send results in under an hour sometimes?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This is pretty silly. As long I get my free test quickly, it doesn't matter.

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

So when every Walgreens near me says they don't offer an antigen test anymore, only the NAAT test as far as rapid goes, you assume they are all lying?

I'm going to assume I'm getting the NAAT test.

I don't assume anything.  I said it was an opinion.  Is the NAAT test you are talking about a 15 - 30 minute test?  That's what I'm talking about.  

What is your problem?

Just clarify from experience and as a scientist who works on diagnostic tests, the posters are correct in the three choices 1) regular PCR which sent out to a third party medical lab 2) rapid PCR also known as a Naat. Depending on the machine that is being run you can have results in like 45 mins. The interest thing about the machine that run naat test is they are a hybrid of PCR and an antigen test depending on the brand of equipment 3) the regular antigen test ( many Walgreens have now stopped offering this)

The problem arises actually after the test as there is red tape and other hurdles that need to be addressed. My advice is that if you took an Naat from Walgreens and you know that you have the correct email with them ( check that you have a confirmation for the test) then I would call and ask for a print out. I would also caution those using Walgreens regular PCR tests as their needs to be a thrid party medical lab. So even though the PCR process only takes about 4 to 8 hrs depending on the PCR method, you may not get results in 24 hours. much of is has to do with the fact that medical labs do what is called sample batching. Meaning they aren't going to waste reagents to run only a few samples. They will wait to have a full load before running. Another issue is the transit time from collection site to the lab as there can be logistical issues. The sample could have been misplaced and then run later or there could be a delay in delivery of the sample. 

My last bit of advice would be if you are expecting results with in a certain be time frame and you don't get one, call back and ask.