What's your ultimate trip?

Prices, vacation days aside, what's an itinerary that you absolutely have to do at least once in your lifetime? What would it be, and what ship would you want it to be on?

Mine would be doing a Transpacific trip that has New Zealand, Fiji, Tahiti, Hawaii, and ends in Vancouver. I preferably want to be on a Quantum class ship. Even though I've never been in one, it seems like a fun fleet to be in.

I'd love a cruise that started in Italy, then made its way north and west to Spain and Portugal, then went up through Northwestern Europe and Scandinavia -- Northern France, England / Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, and Sweden.

If there was a way to expand that to start more in the Mediterranean and also include Croatia and Greece, so much the better! Cover all my bucket list destinations in one fell swoop!

I'd love a cruise that started in Italy, then made its way north and west to Spain and Portugal, then went up through Northwestern Europe and Scandinavia -- Northern France, England / Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, and Sweden.

If there was a way to expand that to start more in the Mediterranean and also include Croatia and Greece, so much the better! Cover all my bucket list destinations in one fell swoop!

I'm waiting patiently for RC to release their European itinerary for 2018. If there was a trip that covers both Rome and Santorini or Myknos, I would be a very happy person. 

I've seen the "around the world" cruises they offer that pretty much hit every major port on the planet. That could be an absolutely awesome bucket list sort of thing, I'm just not sure I could stand over 50 days on a single ship, with the same entertainment over... and over... and over again. If the ports weren't regularly changing and giving me new scenery, I'd be convinced I was transported to the movie Groundhog Day. ;)

Seriously, how do they keep the ship provisioned with a good variety of meals over that long a span, and the entertainment on a good enough rotation to avoid boredom? I'd imagine they must have to plan out several different shows, maybe with cast changes every few ports when they also load up new food supplies.

I want to do a Norway Fjords and Iceland cruise. I don't even care what cruise line, just want to see this wonder filled area of the world.

I have a 7 day Norway Fjords booked for May 2018 on Celebrity but am waiting for Royal to post their 2018 schedule. With everyone waiting for 2018 to be published there shouldn't be any cruises left.

Candie

I want to do a Norway Fjords and Iceland cruise. I don't even care what cruise line, just want to see this wonder filled area of the world.

I have a 7 day Norway Fjords booked for May 2018 on Celebrity but am waiting for Royal to post their 2018 schedule. With everyone waiting for 2018 to be published there shouldn't be any cruises left.

Candie

It's a great trip. We did a Norway/Iceland on the Brilliance. You can here me discuss it on the podcast here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-107-brilliance-of-the-seas-norway-iceland-listener-cruise-review

I'd rank it as the best cruise for scenery and natural wonders and that's after having sailed Eastern Canada and Alaska twice.

It's a great trip. We did a Norway/Iceland on the Brilliance. You can here me discuss it on the podcast here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-107-brilliance-of-the-seas-norway-iceland-listener-cruise-review

I'd rank it as the best cruise for scenery and natural wonders and that's after having sailed Eastern Canada and Alaska twice.

Kris, I listened to that podcast episode and the trip sounds fantastic! Given they only offer it once a year and it's expensive as a result, I'll probably have to wait on trying to book that until both kids are in / done with college and old enough to take care of themselves for two weeks. ;)

From your comments in that episode, it sounds like you'd advise getting at most an ocean view room without balcony, due to the cooler / cold weather there. And then only if you're able to get it for a good rate, otherwise stick with an inside cabin.

Do you have a live blog or other write-up of the trip? I hate to say, but the podcast was just too short and I was really hoping to hear more about the different ports and what was seen / done. I realize the on-ship experience is just as important on a long trip like that where you're going overseas, and it was good to hear about it, but I kind of wish Matt had either skipped the email segment on that show to give you another 15 or 20 minutes to talk more about the ports, or let that episode run to an hour instead of the usual 35-40 minutes.

Kris, I listened to that podcast episode and the trip sounds fantastic! Given they only offer it once a year and it's expensive as a result, I'll probably have to wait on trying to book that until both kids are in / done with college and old enough to take care of themselves for two weeks. ;)

From your comments in that episode, it sounds like you'd advise getting at most an ocean view room without balcony, due to the cooler / cold weather there. And then only if you're able to get it for a good rate, otherwise stick with an inside cabin.

Do you have a live blog or other write-up of the trip? I hate to say, but the podcast was just too short and I was really hoping to hear more about the different ports and what was seen / done. I realize the on-ship experience is just as important on a long trip like that where you're going overseas, and it was good to hear about it, but I kind of wish Matt had either skipped the email segment on that show to give you another 15 or 20 minutes to talk more about the ports, or let that episode run to an hour instead of the usual 35-40 minutes.

I used to do length write ups of all my trips, but after the kids and the car guy going, I simply let the time to do so even though I loved sharing my experiences to give back to those that I benefitted from.

The weather was relatively cold and the balcony prices were high, so I couldn't justify the extra expense. And in reality, you want to be on deck for the scenic cruising. They even set up a bar on the helicopter deck.

If you book early, the pricing is pretty competitive for the number of nights. We actually paid a little more for the Baltics.

Doc,

Thanks for the link to your podcast. Listening to it really helped. I am not a cold weather person and knowing that is really making me think about the decision to take this cruise. I always book an ocean view cabin because I never utilize a balcony, not interested in sitting out there, nothing to see but water.

Thanks again, I wish Royal would open their 2018 itineraries.

Candie

Once we hit retirement age I want to do a South Pacific, then Aussie/Singapore cruise (maybe in the same trip).  After that, Azamara in SE Asia.  In the unlikely event I actually come back home from there, then maybe a circumnavigation of South America, or a Nordic countries cruise.

Basically I want to get old on a ship.

Doc,

Thanks for the link to your podcast. Listening to it really helped. I am not a cold weather person and knowing that is really making me think about the decision to take this cruise. I always book an ocean view cabin because I never utilize a balcony, not interested in sitting out there, nothing to see but water.

Thanks again, I wish Royal would open their 2018 itineraries.

Candie

It was cold by California standards. Mid to high 50s. However, a jacket was sufficient and it wasn't so cold that it was miserable. Some ports were warmer than others.