Wash & Fold Bag

I apologize if this has already been asked.

What is the size of the plastic bag used for the "Wash & Fold" service?  I'm asking because I read somewhere that a good "hack" is to put a paper bag inside so you don't rip the plastic bag (and want to know what size paper bag to bring).

Thanks!

Found these images on another thread.  I am not sure if the prices are the latest...

The first picture shows a $34 bag - they will clean anything you can fit into that bag.  Sometimes the bag is a paper bag that can rip easily.  

75AE93CD-4A58-474E-8B8E-2471475AF438.thumb.jpeg.0d314126cfcb0e81273a225b73ac52d6.jpeg

laundry-service-price-list.jpg.f534437cbb35cd17117b67d61e3c0e17.jpg

Edited by FireFishII
Add more info about the picture.

8 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

Found these images on another thread.  I am not sure if the prices are the latest...

75AE93CD-4A58-474E-8B8E-2471475AF438.thumb.jpeg.0d314126cfcb0e81273a225b73ac52d6.jpeg

laundry-service-price-list.jpg.f534437cbb35cd17117b67d61e3c0e17.jpg

Thanks but that's not what I was looking for.  I understand that most (if not all) RC ships offer a "Wash and Fold" service for around $35 USD where you can stuff as many items (socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc..) in the bag for the fixed price.

12 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Thanks but that's not what I was looking for.  I understand that most (if not all) RC ships offer a "Wash and Fold" service for around $35 USD where you can stuff as many items (socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc..) in the bag for the fixed price.

I believe that's the bag laying next to the shirt. 

18 minutes ago, baltodave said:

I have found that it is only offered on day 2 and 3 of the sailing as a special and then often will disappear as an option. We waited to long on a sailing (wanting to make sure we got our $35 worth) and the sale went away and we paid a per item fee for the items we wanted washed. 

26 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

I think it depends on ship and length of cruise if it's pay one price bag or individually priced pieces. But see if this helps.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DryHYXqCIHb4&ved=2ahUKEwjThL6j0a_4AhU9g4QIHVdeBP4QwqsBegQIAxAF&usg=AOvVaw3Xoj0dtPA5d36DZ0_E9ciF

Thanks.  That's a great video.  I also read somewhere to bring some tape to secure the top of the bag so nothing falls out.  Also, I was under the impression the bag was plastic but in that video, it appears to be paper.

22 minutes ago, baltodave said:

Thanks.  That's a great video.  I also read somewhere to bring some tape to secure the top of the bag so nothing falls out.  Also, I was under the impression the bag was plastic but in that video, it appears to be paper.

There are 2 different types of bags.  There is a paper one and there is a plastic one.  Frankly, I have no idea what the difference is between the 2 of them.  I just know that I can get more into the plastic one than I can into the paper one....plus the plastic one comes with a tear-off ribbon that acts like a "tie" to secure the bag.

@Kathleenhad an excellent piece of advice.  Always check with your room attendant on the first day to find out if there is a certain day(s) for the wash special.  Some ships in the past only had the special (or if it's C&A freebie or discount) on certain days so if doing wash is something you are anticipating, be sure that there are no limits (or if there are, what those limits are) on when or how you can submit your bags of laundry.

We used the Diamond Plus free Wash/fold on our last Radiance cruise in May.  We asked the room steward for a wash/fold laundry bag, and he provided us with the plastic version mentioned above, and the wash/fold form (also above, not ala carte pricing form).   I would estimate that the plastic bag is about 5-7 gallon bag.  Royal returned the clothes in the paper bag.  

I think the plastic bag is frequently (always?) hanging in the closet, so as long as you are using the wash/fold form, I would have no problem using that bag as well.

I've always received a plastic bag for the C&A laundry that is specifically for shorts, t-shirts, pajamas, socks and underwear.   However I've had nice t-shirts ruined by the acid they use in place of laundry soap for the C&A version.  A nice RCI t-shirt I bought on board was good for one time only as I placed it in the C&A bag and it came back looking like a tye-dye gone wrong.   That's happened more than once so now I only place sock, shorts and shirts I don't care about and underwear in there.  Anything nice never goes in the C&A laundry.

I'm pretty sure they use C&A guest laundry to clean the scrubbers on the stacks before they run it through the laundry.  Once through the wash cycle they mop the floors with C&A guest laundry before drying in the exhaust gases where its 4,000 degrees.  Once cooled overnight it's folded and returned to guests.  Hiking shorts I have that with plastic belts and loops have melted in the C&A laundry service so now I make a point of writing on the bag "Dry low heat only".  

The paper bag is usually already in the closet for any guest who wants to pay for laundry using the price list above.  I used that recently for jeans on two consecutive Alaska cruises.  I wore my jeans a lot on those sailings so I cycled two pair through laundry while wearing a 3rd pair near the end of cruise 1 then alternated and did the same on cruise #2 so I always had clean jeans on hand.  Sure it cost money ($11.50 for 2 pair) but it saved from trying to find a laundromat in between the two cruises with only one day to shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle so it was money well spent.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've always received a plastic bag for the C&A laundry that is specifically for shorts, t-shirts, pajamas, socks and underwear.   However I've had nice t-shirts ruined by the acid they use in place of laundry soap for the C&A version.  A nice RCI t-shirt I bought on board was good for one time only as I placed it in the C&A bag and it came back looking like a tye-dye gone wrong.   That's happened more than once so now I only place sock, shorts and shirts I don't care about and underwear in there.  Anything nice never goes in the C&A laundry.

I'm pretty sure they use C&A guest laundry to clean the scrubbers on the stacks before they run it through the laundry.  Once through the wash cycle they mop the floors with C&A guest laundry before drying in the exhaust gases where its 4,000 degrees.  Once cooled overnight it's folded and returned to guests.  Hiking shorts I have that with plastic belts and loops have melted in the C&A laundry service so now I make a point of writing on the bag "Dry low heat only".  

The paper bag is usually already in the closet for any guest who wants to pay for laundry using the price list above.  I used that recently for jeans on two consecutive Alaska cruises.  I wore my jeans a lot on those sailings so I cycled two pair through laundry near the end of cruise 1 then alternated and did the same on cruise #2 so I always had clean jeans on hand.  Sure it cost money ($11.50 for 2 pair) but it saved from trying to find a laundromat in between the two cruises with only one day to shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle so it was money well spent.  

Wow, I appreciate the input.  i have a B2B coming up and was considering pairing down what I pack and using the laundry service.  I'll be reconsidering.

9 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Wow, I appreciate the input.  i have a B2B coming up and was considering pairing down what I pack and using the laundry service.  I'll be reconsidering.

Often D+ and Pinnacle will talk about this in the lounge and it's not unusual to hear other frequent cruisers say they won't put anything nice in the free laundry service.  I know I am not alone as someone who has been disappointed by it.  But they do a good job on socks and underwear so not all is lost.  🙂 

I agree with @twangsterbut also add that even with Star class laundry, your clothes won't be right. They seem to not wash with regular laundry detergent and in 5000-degree water. 

The bag looks small and is a bit misleading. I was shocked at how much can actually fit in the bag. I was able to get 2 t-shirt style dresses, 2 shorts, 4 shirts and undies with room to spare. 

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I use the C&A from time to time.

On the last cruise we been able to push 11 t-shirts/Polos and extra socks underwear and two shorts , so

"from size perspective its not bad"

I agree.  We used the D+ free laundry on our Quantum cruise earlier this month.  I "Ranger Rolled" my stuff and made room for more of the wife's items.

My August trip is going to be an adventure vis-a-vis laundry.

We fly LAX-BCN August 2...spend two nights in a hotel then board Vision of the Seas for an 8-night cruise (We're Diamond C&A).  Then we spend three more nights in Barcelona, then fly to Reykjavik...spend three nights there, then board Celebrity Summit for a 12-night transatlantic...then a night in Boston, then fly home.

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity, so, on that cruise, we get two FREE bag of laudry each.  But, we don't get to that ship until Day 17 of the trip.  And the airlines allow us only one 50 lb. suitcse and one carry-on each.  Yes, we could pay more for additional luggage BUT it would be near impossible to drag it on various Ubers and Taxis and through airports and city streets--so, not an option.  End result:  50 lb. case plus carry-on for 30 days worth of wardrobe...and everything else needed to go with us--toiletries, electronics, cameras, accessories, etc.

Our assumption is we can carry enough for 10 days maximum...which means we are out of clean clothes toward the end of our Vision cruise.  If we could launder EVERYTHING and get it back by the end of the cruise, we could, theoretically, make it to the Summit.  Alternatives would include getting SOME laundered on Vision, hand-washing in sink in Barcelona or Reykjavik hotel (or sink on Vision) or finding a laundry or Laundromat in Barcelona (though I have this nightmare vision of schlepping large bags of laundry through the streets of Barcelona!)

5 hours ago, twangster said:

The paper bag is usually already in the closet for any guest who wants to pay for laundry using the price list above.  I used that recently for jeans on two consecutive Alaska cruises.  I wore my jeans a lot on those sailings so I cycled two pair through laundry while wearing a 3rd pair near the end of cruise 1 then alternated and did the same on cruise #2 so I always had clean jeans on hand.  Sure it cost money ($11.50 for 2 pair) but it saved from trying to find a laundromat in between the two cruises with only one day to shuttle between Vancouver and Seattle so it was money well spent.  

I have not had good luck with the wash and dry laundry service.  Yes, way too hot of dryers and I had some items ruined. Also lost embellishments on shirts missing. If I have laundry done I pay by item, and usually do dry cleaning.  I wash in sink or tub, basic things if I need to.  Underwear, shorts, etc. 

I guess we’ve just been lucky. Never had anything even slightly ruined.  One time (we were Star Class so everything came back on hangars) we realized, after we got home, that Dan had an extra pair of gym shorts and I had a missing pair of yoga pants !  So the item count was correct but someone got my britches and someone’s missing some gym shorts !  Dan loves those shorts.  They’re his favorite Jammie’s.  I hope whoever got my pants are enjoying them half as much !