Maybe an end in sight?? Cruise lines call for CDC to change covid testing policy

19 minutes ago, BrianB said:

The current CDC cruise ship dashboard tool shows virtually all ships in orange status, with a few yellow and just one green. It seems to me that this tool, in it’s current form, does not provide sufficient information for vacationers contemplating a cruise. Even posting actual numbers of positive cases would be more informative. 

Problem with the color coding is this is purely historic data using very unrealistic thresholds. It is rather meaningless in predicting future cruises.

Really all that should matter are percentage of cases that require medical care not available on board ship. While that too doesn't project future cruises, it does show the true impact of covid on board since the whole point of these protocols was to prevent onboard medical staff from being overwhelmed. Frankly they may be more overwhelmed with the quarantine rules than they would without.

The bottom line is that society must learn how to live with this new virus much like society has learned to live with other viruses.  

We collectively have taken great strides forward from the days when there were lockdowns and vaccine passports implemented in some form in various cities and countries.  Those have all but disappeared and we are free to go watch Top Gun in a packed movie theater sitting beside strangers with no protocols for 3 hours. 

Yet cruising is still subject to excessive government regulation and the only industry subject to the scrutiny of government oversight related to the virus to this extent.   

Honestly, for us, its no longer the fear of getting Covid.  Cruise Industry policies for Covid protocols mean very little to us now that we have done a post-pandemic cruise.  

The single biggest thing for us is for the CDC/Government to do something about Covid quarantining in general.  I am a vaxxer, pro-masks (for us-those who chose not to mask are no longer my concern), and pro-mitigation.  

We loved our cruise so much that even IF we got Covid on the cruise (having been vaxxed and having had Covid twice now), we would have thought it was worth it.  BUT it is after the cruise that affects us.  We wouldn't be able to go back to work and earn back the money we spent on the cruise.  We would have to be stuck at home quarantined while thinking about how much fun we had, etc.  Kids would have to stay home from school/summer school, etc...

Side note for what it's worth - During the President's Cruise Q&A w/Michael Bailey - Michael Bailey was asked about both the pre-cruise testing and vaccine requirements. He stated he was hopeful the pre-cruise testing requirement would be removed "in a couple of months" as conversations with the CDC were moving in a positive direction. However, he did not exude any confidence that the vaccine mandates would be removed anytime soon due to the requirements of other countries. So we'll see what happens.

The ability to test for cruising is getting tougher - Walgreens now only allows a three day window for scheduling and CVS will only give free tests if you're having symptoms or were referred by a medical professional.

The three day scheduling window creates difficulty scheduling a test for the one day that exists between our July 4 Freedom and our July 9 Explorer. Previously, we could have scheduled a test for July 8 as early as July 1 but now the window to schedule doesn't open until July 5 - while we're at CocoCay. Guess I'll be using a Diamond free day of Voom just to schedule the test.

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The ability to test for cruising is getting tougher - Walgreens now only allows a three day window for scheduling and CVS will only give free tests if you're having symptoms or were referred by a medical professional.

The three day scheduling window creates difficulty scheduling a test for the one day that exists between our July 4 Freedom and our July 9 Explorer. Previously, we could have scheduled a test for July 8 as early as July 1 but now the window to schedule doesn't open until July 5 - while we're at CocoCay. Guess I'll be using a Diamond free day of Voom just to schedule the test.

The “at home” proctored tests solve all of these problems. 

2 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

The “at home” proctored tests solve all of these problems. 

Not if you aren't home to use them. Would have to rely on the internet on the ship being good enough to do the proctored test from the ship.

And those cost extra (even if reimbursed by insurance, they cost the hassle of filing for the reimbursement and the price of postage to send it in).

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Not if you aren't home to use them. Would have to rely on the internet on the ship being good enough to do the proctored test from the ship.

And those cost extra (even if reimbursed by insurance, they cost the hassle of filing for the reimbursement and the price of postage to send it in).

Won't you have a day in Miami on the 8th? You could bring the tests with you and do the proctored tests while in Miami btwn Freedom and Explorer. As for the costs, the convenience is worth it - no dealing with making appointments or waiting in a line. 

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I am sorry but I don't buy the cost issue from any of us that will spend thousands for a cruise, then complain about $25 for the test. 

As for timing, you can do the test in the parking lot prior to embarkation, if the WiFi on board isn't up to snuff.

There really aren't any excuses

1 hour ago, JC Pats said:

Won't you have a day in Miami on the 8th? You could bring the tests with you and do the proctored tests while in Miami btwn Freedom and Explorer. As for the costs, the convenience is worth it - no dealing with making appointments or waiting in a line. 

It takes less than a minute to make the online appointment and we haven't had to wait in a line. From what people report about the proctored in-home tests, there is less total time involved by using Walgreens (make the appointment, get there, test, get home) than the in-home (make the appointment for your proctored test, wait "in line" for a proctor, perform the test, wait some more). Time from test to getting the email confirming a negative result appears to be about the same.

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

I am sorry but I don't buy the cost issue from any of us that will spend thousands for a cruise, then complain about $25 for the test. 

As for timing, you can do the test in the parking lot prior to embarkation, if the WiFi on board isn't up to snuff.

No excuses - just don't find ordering the tests and paying for them to be efficient. And that $25 is the better part of two drinks onboard. Would you rather pay for a test or have two extra cocktails? If your answer is different than mine, I question your sanity.

44 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

No excuses - just don't find ordering the tests and paying for them to be efficient. And that $25 is the better part of two drinks onboard. Would you rather pay for a test or have two extra cocktails? If your answer is different than mine, I question your sanity.

I would rather be onboard, fully cleared and ready to enjoy a week of cruising, regardless of the $25 fee.  Question my motives if you will, but that is how I approach the process.

To each his own.

49 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

It takes less than a minute to make the online appointment and we haven't had to wait in a line. From what people report about the proctored in-home tests, there is less total time involved by using Walgreens (make the appointment, get there, test, get home) than the in-home (make the appointment for your proctored test, wait "in line" for a proctor, perform the test, wait some more). Time from test to getting the email confirming a negative result appears to be about the same.

I have taken 7 in home proctored tests for cruising. None of these tests have consumed more than 20 minute of my time.

I have taken 7 in home proctored tests for cruising. None of these tests have consumed more than 20 minute of my time.

But did a second person in your home also test "at the same time" as you? Add another 20 minutes because the tests must be consecutive, not concurrent. We have done the Walgreens drive through in less than 20 minutes for two of us, including the drive time.

I would rather be onboard, fully cleared and ready to enjoy a week of cruising, regardless of the $25 fee.  Question my motives if you will, but that is how I approach the process.

To each his own.

I would rather be onboard, fully cleared, and ready to enjoy a week of cruising with that $25 available for adding to my enjoyment.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We've done tests concurrently before.

You are the first to report that you have done this successfully. Thanks for the info.

Assuming you each had an appointment at the same time and were able to obtain available proctors nearly simultaneously. Very serendipitous based on reported wait times to have a proctor available, even with an appointment time.

If that's the case, the total time for at home proctored and drive through testing is about the same for those convenient to a pharmacy. Guess now the only advantage to the local pharmacy is that I don't have to trust the delivery of the tests (none of USPS, UPS, or FedEx is particularly reliable around these parts).

13 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I would rather be onboard, fully cleared, and ready to enjoy a week of cruising with that $25 available for adding to my enjoyment.

I agree but mostly because its not just $25, it's $25 x 4 which is starting to get in real money I could use towards a drink package!😉

Reading the newly posted article on the home page of this blog it appears as though the testing requirement will remain in place for at least a few more months according to Royal Caribbean's CEO.  Which could mean the testing requirement might still be in place this fall or perhaps even this winter.

And as far as the vaccine requirement to cruise and when that might go away he had no concrete answer because according to him many countries/destinations still require a high degree of vaccination for all arriving cruise ships. I personally (even though vaccinated) was hoping the vaccine mandate would go away by the end of this year but after reading his comments that he gave on Ovation this week I'm starting to think the vaccine mandate will still be in place well into 2023. 

My wife and I did the Abbott home test at the same time, back in May.  She was on her laptop and I was on mine.  No problem!  It never occurred to me that there would be a problem and there wasn't.  She had her own Navica (or what ever it is called) account and I had my own.  In less than a half hour (that includes my wife losing her internet connection once), we were done and never left the confines of our home and didn't even get out of our PJs.  I also did the iHealth either just before or just after the Abbott test.  If I had to worry about $25.00, each, I wouldn't be cruising.  But, the Abbott tests include the testing in the price of the kits, from Royal's site.  

On 6/26/2022 at 3:39 PM, TXcruzer said:

It took me all day to manage to get though 4 online emed tests for my cruise the last week of 2021.  Between a covid wave, lots of christmas week travel, and amazon cloud server issues, it certainly was not as easy as you make it sound.

23 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

It took me all day to manage to get though 4 online emed tests for my cruise the last week of 2021.  Between a covid wave, lots of christmas week travel, and amazon cloud server issues, it certainly was not as easy as you make it sound.

In March we had 12 people test at my house in less than 30 minutes.

Christmas week certainly did not do you any favors.

It really is as easy as I make it sound.

I love eating at my favorite steakhouse.  It gets almost impossible to get into, very long lines, waiting time is hours during special days like Mother's Day and Father's Day.  It's still my favorite steakhouse and I wait or I seek out alternative options.  

5 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I'm glad you have had good luck; in my experience not everyone does.  Especially in households with those under 18 years of age, since they can't have their own accounts.  It's impossible to do 4 tests at once when 2 people are under age 18.

17 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

We too had issues before our June Med cruise.  The NAVICA APP would not recognize our tests as valid and after calling customer service, directed to use the web site to run through test.   Took about an hour to get through 2 tests.  As we were testing from our hotel room internet, very concerned with drop-off before completing the test.   Still don't know why the tests would not show as valid with the APP.

15 hours ago, karl_nj said:

I'm glad you have had good luck; in my experience not everyone does.  Especially in households with those under 18 years of age, since they can't have their own accounts.  It's impossible to do 4 tests at once when 2 people are under age 18.

This is not only CORRECT, but I am glad you said it.

The emed Binax tests are easy BUT, depending upon your situation, could take much longer than 15 minutes.  It took us one hour because our children could not have their own accounts and I had to do their tests in succession rather than concurrent with ours.  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:28 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

On 6/27/2022 at 5:42 AM, Snowchaser said:

I agree but mostly because its not just $25, it's $25 x 4 which is starting to get in real money I could use towards a drink package!😉

Did you guys try having insurance reimburse you?  Our insurance reimbursed us within 48 of purchase.  This may help future cruisers.  

On 6/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, CruisingNewb said:

This is not only CORRECT, but I am glad you said it.

The emed Binax tests are easy BUT, depending upon your situation, could take much longer than 15 minutes.  It took us one hour because our children could not have their own accounts and I had to do their tests in succession rather than concurrent with ours.  

Locally, I've seen long lines of cars at the "Drive-Up" COVID testing facilities (not so much now, though).  I'd rather wait in line in my living room or kitchen.  At my doctor's office, for our first COVID test ever, the Office Manager was the only qualified person to give COVID tests, we had to wait on her to come out to our car for about 45 minutes while she was assisting the Dr.  Then we had to wait for her to come out and give us the test results which was at least a couple of hours.  I, right then and there said that I will always do the at home proctored testing (but, always having a plan B).  Our local Urgent care facility took over 2 hours for my wife's follow-up COVID test* while we waited in the car.  They didn't/don't provide electronic/digital documentation.  

*  We had COVID (like a mild cold) at the same time.  But, my follow-up COVID test was the last the Dr's Office had, so we had to go to get a test done at the Urgent Care facility.  We were in a hurry to get negative testing done so we could leave that day to drive up to visit with my daughter in Indiana.  We didn't want to take COVID up with us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Not looking for an argument but stating my thoughts that have been eating at me for awhile now:
So not only would I love to see the pre-cruise testing stop…how about allowing the unvaccinated back onboard?

I have never taken sides and I do not think it is my place to do so.  I am me…and nobody else.
I am vaccinated and boosted (twice) and got COVID for the first time 2 weeks ago after returning from a family vacation to Disney.  There were nine of us and only 2 did not get sick…both unvaccinated!  

I think this virus is pretty close to becoming our next head cold or flu.  Some will get very sick…some will have mild symptoms…some will never get sick!  So…….why are the unvaccinated still being penalized this late in the game?

I certainly hope my thoughts here do not start a war on words…but I feel better having finally stated how I think. 

Yes sadly I’ve seen this in the hospitals. (I’m a nurse at a large hospital in WI) The virus has no respect for vaccination or not. I agree 100%. 

On 6/14/2022 at 3:35 PM, OrlandoDad said:

While I see the logic behind your post, I would not be in favor of this myself.  The 2-day-prior testing on your own is stressful enough...I can't imagine having to wait until getting to the port to see if you are actually going to get on the ship.

Personally, I would be glad to see the pre-cruise testing go away.  Normally at this time (< 2-weeks out) I am in full on ready-to-go mode, with passports dug out, boarding passes ready, activities planned and all necessary things taken care of around my house.  Now, none of that is done because I'm not sure I am going on vacation.  If I would have realized the level of stress I would be, and will be, feeling until next Saturday I would not have booked at this time.  And won't book again unless and until the pre-testing is eliminated. If pre-testing is eliminated  and cases rise dramatically on cruise ships, I'll make the call then as to whether I want to go.

IF my family and myself test negative next Saturday morning, I am going to have a VERY busy Saturday and Sunday around here.

I totally agree - catching a flight, arriving at a desination & awaiting your cruise embarkation was exciting. I have now had to bring flighs forward to mitigate UK flight cancellations, booked additional days in Rome and having to take a pre-cruise(48hr) antigen test before knowing if we will sail away! I somehow feel that my anxiety levels are somewhat being stretched & not sure how I will feel if I recieve a negative before sailing 😞 !! Life has become slightly more challenging

14 hours ago, Chris Ferrari said:

I totally agree - catching a flight, arriving at a desination & awaiting your cruise embarkation was exciting. I have now had to bring flighs forward to mitigate UK flight cancellations, booked additional days in Rome and having to take a pre-cruise(48hr) antigen test before knowing if we will sail away! I somehow feel that my anxiety levels are somewhat being stretched & not sure how I will feel if I recieve a negative before sailing 😞 !! Life has become slightly more challenging

I agree.  The testing is sucking the fun out of cruising.  I’ve adjusted my flight  into Europe so I can test at home 2 days before sailing. . I’m missing out on exploration and they will miss my $.  I took a look at the Celebrity ship I’ll be sailing on and have followed some Celebrity groups   The groups report the ship is about 40% capacity. I see an awful lot of availability on my sailing  in 2 weeks. Meanwhile in the US sailing capacity is near max.  This has me wondering….are US citizens just not returning to Europe yet? Was it the recent removal of return home testing that impeded a return to cruising on Europe? Is it the whole uncertainty of testing in Europe-which country has which rules, or the booster/test, non booster/test confusion. Whatever is going on, the restrictions have an impact on all economies.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

I agree.  The testing is sucking the fun out of cruising.  I’ve adjusted my flight  into Europe so I can test at home 2 days before sailing. . I’m missing out on exploration and they will miss my $.  I took a look at the Celebrity ship I’ll be sailing on and have followed some Celebrity groups   The groups report the ship is about 40% capacity. I see an awful lot of availability on my sailing  in 2 weeks. Meanwhile in the US sailing capacity is near max.  This has me wondering….are US citizens just not returning to Europe yet? Was it the recent removal of return home testing that impeded a return to cruising on Europe? Is it the whole uncertainty of testing in Europe-which country has which rules, or the booster/test, non booster/test confusion. Whatever is going on, the restrictions have an impact on all economies.

The CDC return test put a damper on travel to Europe from the US.  It's not a spontaneous trip so when testing was lifted people didn't suddenly decide to go to Europe next weekend.  Instead people had made other plans and stuck to them.  At the same time air travel woes hit which motivated some people to CWC.  Add on top of that news of Italy's tougher protocols and quarantine rules in the beginning also created some cold feet.  The way that most European countries did their own thing didn't help.  

Then there are folks like me that moved my 2022 Europe cruises to 2023 because I decided to stay closer to home this year.  I did that a long time ago and given the soft bookings in Europe I'm guessing I wasn't alone.  If 2023 trends the same way with intrusive protocols I'll push it out again to 2024.  If I'm spending money for bucket list cruises I want to be able to travel freely without restrictions and intrusive protocols. 

I don't think there is any mistaking that restrictions and extensive protocols are impacting travel.  Maybe that's the intention by countries around the world who don't want the travel floodgates flung wide open just yet.

I have a couple of friends who work in the Travel Industry and after hearing all their tales of woe trying to shepherd people through the ever changing rules from country to country, I decided there was no way I was going to mess with international travel until all this stuff is done, not worth the hassle.

Bad enough dealing with the machinations of our government never mind having to worry about what all the other ones are thinking.