Request Advice for a JIC (Just In Case) Anti-Seasickness Treatment

To start off, I have only been seasick once -- in a 25 foot fishing boat off the coast of Monterey, CA -- and it was just a bad headache.  Haven't experienced it since then, even on the rough days of a Northern Pacific Crossing on Westerdam in October 2018.  That said, I'll be going on the Arctic Crossing in September on Voyager -- and figured I should take something JIC (that way, I know I won't need it 😉 ).  Any suggestions for what an anti-seasickness "starter kit" could include?  I'm already a ginger fanatic, and often ask for ginger root to put on / in my salad.  I'm thinking maybe Bonine? Dramamine?  Any suggestions?

I have taken both Bonine and Dramamine.  Both works with me.  However, I know that I will be taking a 1 hour nap 20 minutes after taking Dramamine. I take these OTC meds for short trips - think airplane.  For cruises and scuba diving trips, I get the Scopolamine Transdermal Patch.  I also do something with the patch that is not advisable: I cut 1/4 of the patch off and throw it away. I only use 3/4 of the patch.  When cutting the patch, I wear gloves and immediately wash my hands.  Do not tough your eyes!! 

Benefit of the patch over OTC: you just reapply the patch every 2 to 3 days.  OTC you will need to take daily or more often.

In your case, I would definitely go with OTC - just in case you need it. 

As a person who does get seasick....I've taken Bonine (Dramamine)-same Meclizine ingredient.  Dramamine also offers a different ingredient option (Dimethly.....sp?)  I forget which is "less drowsy".  I've also heard it said, but never attempted, that Guest Services does hand out sea sick pills......I'd rather have and not need than not have and they either aren't giving them out or ran out!   I start out taking 1/2 a pill and if it doesn't help me I add another 1/2.  my last sailing that method did not work, so I googled to see if another 1/2or whole pill would be ok and it was.  (always check yourself, don't take my non-medical advice).
I've read of the patch, but have never gotten it.
I also carry seabands (go on the wrist) but have never tried them.
Yes on the ginger, and I hear green apples (which you can get in the dining hall since you cannot carry them on) are helpful.
Last thought would be to ask your doctor for an antiemetic. (stop the vomit drug) Worked wonders when I went through chemo, never tried them on a cruise

ask your doctor to call you in some Scopolamine patches. it's smaller than a dime and can be hidden behind your ear. change the patch out every 3 days. The 1st patch needs to be applied 12 hours before you sail for optimum effect. I swear by this medication. 

zofran is another prescription anti nausea medication- i swear by this one too! The only downside is that its a pill, so if you're nauseous you might have a hard time keeping it down. 

I am an ICU RN for 12 yrs. I use these for myself and for my  patients with great results!

I don't get sea sick but I know many family members do. For our JIC seas sickness kit we have 1) Ginger Chews 2) Dramamine, 3), Ginger Tea 4) wrist acupressure bracelets (Some people swore by them others say they felt nothing). 5) MQ Patch same concept as those acupressure bracelets you can find them on amazon 6) I also second the scopolamine patches. I know some family members use them. The only draw back to some of the patches is that they can irritate the skin behind the ears. 

I use Bonine for myself.  I take it 30 mins before I board my flight, then I take one at bedtime daily.  It will make me sleepy some so taking it at bedtime works.  I did have a friend that used the patch and it effected her vision.  I asked the pharmacist about that and it is a potential side effect for some.  For this reason, I decided to stick with Bonine.

I use meclizine 25 mg at breakfast and dinner. If it gets to bad I have ondansetron and/or promethazine and have taught my wife how to give me a shot if needed.

In 2019 I had to give myself the shot and it did not turn out well. My thigh was sore for the rest of the week. LOL.

I like it better when I am the one giving the shots and so do my patients.