Formal / High tea on Symphony of the Seas?

Santa John

Because the English has been bred out of my DNA over many generations, I must ask...

If you went into a cafe and ordered tea, a charcuterie and/or a crumpet, would that not satisfy high tea?

I truly am not trying to be disrespectful.  I would like to know.🤔

When I was in England, high tea was MUCH more than a simple cup of tea and a crumpet or charcuterie.  I remember a TOWER of food with finger sandwiches, cheese, meats, scones, and yes a crumpet.  This tower was shared between 2 people.  There were also lots of variety of teas - which I don't think Royal will have.  But I could be wrong. You may be able to go to the Windjammer and sort of duplicate the menu?  Maybe? 

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

... MUCH more than a simple cup of tea and a crumpet or charcuterie.  I remember a TOWER of food with finger sandwiches, cheese, meats, scones, and yes a crumpet. 

Guess I've got a lot to learn.  I thought a charcuterie was a tower of food with finger sandwiches, cheese, meats, breads, etc.

pennsylvania-charcuterie-trail-FT-BLOG1121.thumb.jpg.ba1f0c69a00c988f2115322fa3f32284.jpg

So I should have more correctly asked, if you ordered tea with finger sandwiches and a relish plate, would that then be a high tea?

I see now, it must be stacked to qualify.💂‍♂️

2017-04-Four-SeasonsDestinationTea_Park75_20170422_2410-1-e1576515048844.thumb.jpg.b8feb38284d99e50810c466ff4c77856.jpg

@WAYNO, if you look carefully, the High Tea tower does not need any assembly like the charcuterie board.  Also, the high tea tower is vertical while the charcuterie board is horizontal.  High tea leans towards the sweet side while the charcuterie board leans more on the savory side. Sorry, my analytical engineering side is showing. LOL!  I don't really care what you call them, I love them both.  

So many rules.  Guess that's why my family always practiced 'family style' dining.  The Irish DNA prevailed.😉

Ironic, we have the most gorgeous English tea set, and we've never used them even once since we inherited them well over 50 years ago.  They'd kick me out of the Brit Club since I'd likely put the little dishes in the wrong place at place settings.😲

Further, I am envious of the folks that know their identity.  Too many of our ancestors lost it at Ellis Island.

2 hours ago, WAYNO said:

Guess I've got a lot to learn.  I thought a charcuterie was a tower of food with finger sandwiches, cheese, meats, breads, etc.

pennsylvania-charcuterie-trail-FT-BLOG1121.thumb.jpg.ba1f0c69a00c988f2115322fa3f32284.jpg

So I should have more correctly asked, if you ordered tea with finger sandwiches and a relish plate, would that then be a high tea?

I see now, it must be stacked to qualify.💂‍♂️

2017-04-Four-SeasonsDestinationTea_Park75_20170422_2410-1-e1576515048844.thumb.jpg.b8feb38284d99e50810c466ff4c77856.jpg

The stacking is all wrong in this picture.  Per my English friends, you start at the bottom tier with savory (finger sandwiches and the like), then you move up to the middle tier for scones, then finally to the top tier for sweets.

Not sure if you need your Pinky finger out or not.😆

13 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

The stacking is all wrong in this picture.  Per my English friends, you start at the bottom tier with savory (finger sandwiches and the like), then you move up to the middle tier for scones, then finally to the top tier for sweets.

Not sure if you need your Pinky finger out or not.😆

I was wondering about that.  I almost missed the finger sandwiches because they were in the middle.  But since I only had high tea once in England, I thought I was wrong.  It is nice to find out I was not wrong.  There goes the swelling of my head.  LOL!!!

In my hometown, they just opened a restaurant that serves high tea and elevenses.  Maybe elevenses is more in line with what @WAYNO would like.  I know my husband would like it. What is Elevenses for those who have not read the Hobbit: think sweet and savory breads, meats and cheeses.  It is also cheaper than high tea - which my husband would also like.  Ha Ha. 

I want to thank everyone who has answered and contributed to this thread.  We were on a different (gasp) cruise line that did serve high tea, and was wondering if RC did.  Looks like they do not. 
Not that we need the extra food and calories anyway - but it is always a nice experience. 
Thanks to all.