Royal Up - Radiance

Hello all!

I just got my bid letter for Radiance of the Seas on August 26th, and the categories have me confused!  Scenic Ocean View Balcony, Spacious Ocean View Balcony, Scenic Spacious Ocean View Balcony, and Sunset Balcony!  We are booked in an Ocean View Balcony portside on a Northbound cruise, so is that already a Sunset balcony?  I've been looking for a site that gives these descriptions with possible cabin numbers, but no luck.  Any ideas?  I'll probably bid on the Jr Suite as well, but the other suites are out of my price range.  Thank in advance for any help!

Hi, Were also booked on an Alaska cruise on ROS for southbound in August. We received the royal up but opted not to do it. We felt that being on the "right side" of the ship was more important than getting a suite on the cheap, which would probably be on the other side of the ship unless someone cancels last minute. Since there isn't a coastal kitchen and its a small ship we felt having the balcony views were more important. As well you don't get double points for royal up. Just my humble thoughts. in terms of your room descriptions mine had the usual ones, I've never seen sunset balcony before.

3 hours ago, Sandra F said:

Hello all!

I just got my bid letter for Radiance of the Seas on August 26th, and the categories have me confused!  Scenic Ocean View Balcony, Spacious Ocean View Balcony, Scenic Spacious Ocean View Balcony, and Sunset Balcony!  We are booked in an Ocean View Balcony portside on a Northbound cruise, so is that already a Sunset balcony?  I've been looking for a site that gives these descriptions with possible cabin numbers, but no luck.  Any ideas?  I'll probably bid on the Jr Suite as well, but the other suites are out of my price range.  Thank in advance for any help!

These cabins are pretty much the same as your ocean view balcony but on different parts of the ship. They may have about 20 or so more feet than the one you are currently booked in but I wouldn't pay more than $25pp to upgrade to any of these. There is a possibility that you will get a room in a not ideal location so ymmv. As far the JS, you won't get more C&A points but you might enjoy more space if the price is right. 

3 hours ago, Sandra F said:

Hello all!

We are booked on Harmony Sept 4. Got our bid letter as well. We are currently booked in a ocean view balcony. The offer of ocean view large balcony and JS were disappointingly high for the minimum bid, so we are just going to keep what we have. 

• 1 year later...

Did anyone figure out exactly what a sunset view  balcony is? Even RC couldn't answer this question and it's not listed as a category on their website. ... But I just got the exact same offer as the OP . Is this possibly the aft facing balconies? If so, id be interested, but if not, Im not. I'm already in a OV balcony on the side with the sunset heading north. Weird that they would have you bid on cabins that they can't explain!! 

2 hours ago, Lori Hawthorne said:

Did anyone figure out exactly what a sunset view  balcony is? Even RC couldn't answer this question and it's not listed as a category on their website. ... But I just got the exact same offer as the OP . Is this possibly the aft facing balconies? If so, id be interested, but if not, Im not. I'm already in a OV balcony on the side with the sunset heading north. Weird that they would have you bid on cabins that they can't explain!! 

In my experience it's an aft facing balcony...but this is not a guarantee as obviously it depends on the direction of the ship. For comparison purposes the sunset suites on icon of the seas are aft facing balconies. Long and short royal is up is raffle that no one understands if you would like to take a chance go-ahead assume your room will stick.

13 hours ago, Lori Hawthorne said:

A Sunset View balcony is a Celebrity term for their aft facing balconies.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

A Sunset View balcony is a Celebrity term for their aft facing balconies.

Confusingly the sunrise can also be viewed depending on the ships orientation. 

I considered filing a complaint to the “Truth in Marketing” board to have the name changed to Sun view balcony.

Just now, AlmondFarmer said:

Confusingly the sunrise can also be viewed depending on the ships orientation. 

I considered filing a complaint to the “Truth in Marketing” board to have the name changed to Sun view balcony.

I wonder if they have have ever had any complaints when the sun set in front or to the sides of the ship? 🤷‍♂️

51 minutes ago, Shari said:

Maybe they mean sunset like the end of something (i.e. the "end" of the ship balcony).

That is the hope. I would love to have that aft facing balcony if that is what it is. If not, I'm not interested since I already have a nice balcony that I chose. I just hate to bid and not know exactly what I'm bidding on!