Non-proctored/supervised Test?

Ophir

Hello all! First time cruiser here. 

Has anyone (from the UK specifically but anywhere else too) tried using a non-supervised test to get on the cruise? We're sailing out of Rome. 

Here's the thing, in the UK you can get an at-home PCR test that you do the swab unsupervised and then send to the lab to be tested. The results certificate you get has all the details required by RC, and most of them do not say if they were supervised or not. I was wondering if anyone has tried using these, as it seem they could technically be accepted. 

3 hours ago, Ophir said:

Has anyone (from the UK specifically but anywhere else too) tried using a non-supervised test to get on the cruise? We're sailing out of Rome. 

Here's the thing, in the UK you can get an at-home PCR test that you do the swab unsupervised and then send to the lab to be tested. The results certificate you get has all the details required by RC, and most of them do not say if they were supervised or not. I was wondering if anyone has tried using these, as it seem they could technically be accepted. 

Most certainly, the test will not be accepted.  It's written very clearly that the test must be supervised.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from Europe

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements your for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test”
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you have a lab printout I'd bet that could be used despite the language in RC's test FAQs.

I think you are right, after all, they are in the business of allowing paying passengers pay!  However, do you want to take a chance with Billy Bob that has got his underwear on too tight?  I think, not for me!  It's too easy to just get the proctored test done.  

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If you have a lab printout I'd bet that could be used despite the language in RC's test FAQs.

Yeah that is what I think. I've had confirmation from them (on Facebook) it doesn't have to say on the certificate that it was supervised. This is confirmed in their FAQs that specify what the certificate needs to have. 

1 hour ago, Suite Snob said:

I think you are right, after all, they are in the business of allowing paying passengers pay!  However, do you want to take a chance with Billy Bob that has got his underwear on too tight?  I think, not for me!  It's too easy to just get the proctored test done.  

I 100% agree it's a risk. Hence why I'm asking here to see if anyone has done this. To my understanding the US doesn't really offer such tests (i.e. at home tests that are unproctored but provide certificates) and this is probably where the policy came from. I'd pay for Antigen without a second thought, but my university provides free PCR so it is annoying to have to pay 😅

1 hour ago, AspiringCruisePlanner said:

Most certainly, the test will not be accepted.  It's written very clearly that the test must be supervised.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from Europe

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements your for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test”
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

Yes, thank you, but I know what it says there. 

However, when if talks about what the certificate must mention, the test being supervised is not one of the requirements. So how can they know? I've had it confirmed via Facebook that the certificate does not need to say the test was supervised. 

To my understanding the US doesn't really offer at home tests that are unproctored but provide certificates, and this is probably where the policy came from.

I've heard from many using this kind of test and getting on board just fine. 

As long as the document doesn't state it was a diy test you should be fine. 

There is no way that Rcl knows exactly how and where each test was taken. Especially for us from Europe with all of these different countries and test centers. 

I am taking a at home test that is on video, but not a live video. You tape yourself. I am not worried at all about being denied boarding. 

25 minutes ago, Marga said:

I've heard from many using this kind of test and getting on board just fine. 

As long as the document doesn't state it was a diy test you should be fine. 

There is no way that Rcl knows exactly how and where each test was taken. Especially for us from Europe with all of these different countries and test centers. 

I am taking a at home test that is on video, but not a live video. You tape yourself. I am not worried at all about being denied boarding. 

Thanks for the response! I was definitely thinking they can't verify every test, but know you're supposed to submit in the app the day before so wasn't sure. 

Honestly the only reason I even ask is because I have access to an unsupervised pcr test for free. Feels like a shame to pay for one. 

Wow.  This is amazing.  The presumption is the test was legitimately taken by the person saying so.  It's so unfortunate we have a society where there are those who will lie in order to cruise.  Sorry, I've no input on the validity of the test.  It would seem you need people who have done this process to answer.  

6 hours ago, Ophir said:

Please note, the way you said, "Here's the thing, in the UK you CAN get an at-home PCR test that y9ou do the swab unsupervised ........".  You didn't say that it was the only option.  

18 minutes ago, Marga said:

Nobody is saying anything about not taking a test or using somebody else's test results.  That's exactly the point, it can be done.  There is a lot of room for fraud when not supervised and that is why it isn't authorized.  Nobody is saying that YOU would commit fraud, but you could, anybody could with an unsupervised swab/test.

These are legitimate and official testing facilities in the countries we live in. 

Video testing is not available in my country.  And you did not say that in the first post.  You just said you CAN get an unsupervised test and a certificate to go with it.

Doesn't matter what country you live in.  It matters what country you are visiting and what cruise line you are using.  When in Rome...........  When I go to the UK, I drive on the left side of the road!

19 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

Doesn't matter what country you live in.  It matters what country you are visiting and what cruise line you are using.

But there's no rule that says you have to be tested in the country that the cruise departs from. There's enough travel hassle right now and I surely wouldn't want to seek out a test after flying to that destination only to risk testing positive in a foreign country.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But there's no rule that says you have to be tested in the country that the cruise departs from. There's enough travel hassle right now and I surely wouldn't want to seek out a test after flying to that destination only to risk testing positive in a foreign country.

That may be true.  But, it is our responsibility to know the rules/policies/laws of the country we are visiting/cruising out of, hassle or not.  Same with the cruise line.  

I agree though, there is far too much hassle in traveling today AND we all take a chance testing positive at any point in our travels.  It sucks, I see that, I know that.  But, we all have the responsibility of knowing and abiding by the rules of the country/cruise line we are traveling to/on.  There is way too much uncertainty, that's for sure.

I really do wish we didn't have these hassles.  I haven't enjoyed traveling since 911, the new normal.  I hate TSA, but it is what it is.  I hate COVID, but it is what it is.  But, I'm glad we are slowly getting over it.  

4 hours ago, Marga said:

Nobody is saying anything about not taking a test or using somebody else's test results. 

These are legitimate and official testing facilities in the countries we live in. 

Video testing is not available in my country. 

I am not implying that.  I find it interesting...especially when I've read of people (not saying your country) who faked vaccination cards and testing.  There are rule followers and then there are those who are not, in any society.  Jetblue airline used to have testing kits you could order to take at home and mail in, and it was an acceptable practice.  It's those no-rule followers that make it worse.
I'm also amazed that you can get results to turn around that quickly.  I know people who flew with Jetblue had some huge issues with the turnaround time due to delays in the carrier as well as lab back ups when the Covid numbers were high, not to mention the holiday weekend when everyone was testing to go away. It was a disaster for many.

Maybe try a facebook group for sailings that leave out of the UK  (Anthem of the Seas June ___)  or Rome (not sure which Royal ship is sailing there)  and inquire which tests they used and were accepted.  It's more likely you will get a better answer from someone who has already cruised or will be on a cruise before yours.