12 year old and Dining

Stelkp

Your son can order anything and everything on the menu. Age of the passenger is not relevant.

And if the chicken fingers on the children's menu happens to strike your fancy one night for dinner, you are allowed to order that for yourself. On our recent Ovation to Alaska, on multiple nights I wasn't enamored of any of the desserts so I ordered the kids' banana split with just chocolate ice cream.

16 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Your son can order anything and everything on the menu. Age of the passenger is not relevant.

And if the chicken fingers on the children's menu happens to strike your fancy one night for dinner, you are allowed to order that for yourself. On our recent Ovation to Alaska, on multiple nights I wasn't enamored of any of the desserts so I ordered the kids' banana split with just chocolate ice cream.

Oh my gosh thank you so much! Now I can exhale haha 

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Though keep in mind, at a specialty restaurant, if your 12 year old orders from the adult menu, you are charged the adult price, not the kids price.  Which makes sense, as they ate an adult meal.

• 2 weeks later...

When we did our first cruise with kids, my sons, about 7 and 9, were not offered a children's menu, and they only ordered from the regular menu. They also spoke politely to our other dinner companions and ate like an adult.  I advocate cruising as a good way for teaching dinner manners to young gentlemen and to keep them from being finicky eaters. 

We had the unlimited Dining Package on the Ovation recently and my nine year old politely told every waiter to keep the kids menu and asked for the adults menu.  By the way, this is an excellent way of ordering extra food in specialty dining restaurants.  For example, my 9 year old did not like the mushroom soup at Chops and so I got to finish it and the waiter brought him bacon.  Cha-ching.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, karl_nj said:

Though keep in mind, at a specialty restaurant, if your 12 year old orders from the adult menu, you are charged the adult price, not the kids price.  Which makes sense, as they ate an adult meal.

I am confused about this.  The pre-purchase UDP price for my 9 year old was not the same as it was for us.  Also, the kids' a la carte pricing is $10 per specialty restaurant. Many friends of mine said they paid $10 for their kid and the kid still ate off of the adult menu. 

34 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I am confused about this.  The pre-purchase UDP price for my 9 year old was not the same as it was for us.  Also, the kids' a la carte pricing is $10 per specialty restaurant. Many friends of mine said they paid $10 for their kid and the kid still ate off of the adult menu. 

This is a YMMV situation. You brought the UDP for your child and paid a set price as opposed to adding your child at separate occasions for $10 each time. That $10 add-on is for children and mainly the children's menu. Which the waiter could choose to enforce or not. 

19 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

This is a YMMV situation. You brought the UDP for your child and paid a set price as opposed to adding your child at separate occasions for $10 each time. That $10 add-on is for children and mainly the children's menu. Which the waiter could choose to enforce or not. 

The set price was still lower than the adult price.  I think it was $69 for the 7 day cruise.  You are getting bang for your buck if you pay UDP for kids at that price and they order off of the adult menu.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ampurp85 said:

My experience has been that I was charged the adult price at the Steakhouse on both Celebrity Edge and Oasis of the Seas for my 12 year old in 2021.  I didn't question it, since she ordered from the adult menu.  I'm glad other people were able to get a reduced price for their kids in Specialty Restaurants.  

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 12:55 PM, Stelkp said:

So my son is 12 and we paid for a child obviously since he’s not 13 yet…but does that mean he can ONLY order childrens food at restaurants and dining room? God I hope not because he usually orders regular meals. 😵💫

Did you already go on your cruise? I'm taking my 12 yr old in a few months and have been wondering this too since I bought the Unlimited Dining Plan for our family and the only option was to buy him the Kids priced one

On 6/23/2022 at 12:31 PM, Audrey V. said:

I advocate cruising as a good way for teaching dinner manners to young gentlemen and to keep them from being finicky eaters. 

I would second this as our son has been cruising since right before his first birthday, except...

...his manners and adventurous palate have taken a steep dive now that he is a teen.