Costa Maya and Cozumel excursions

HeatherinVT

If you can handle the boat (ferry) ride from Cozumel to Carmen del Playa, I would recommend the Amazing Secret River, which is a hike in bathing suits through a cave system.  Another option is Tulum Mayan Ruins.  We have taken the ferry twice, have gotten some nausea, but haven't lost our cookies yet!  Even our young son managed the ferry over a decade ago.

My favorite at Costa Maya is Chacchoben Mayan Ruins.  (We found a raft trip through Lake Bacalar too tame.)  Now we just take a shuttle/cab to Mahahual and have a local lunch in the village.   Some folks pay for a pass at one of the port bars and just chill. (Swimming pool to cool off!)

7 hours ago, Kathleen said:

I second the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya. A very nice set of ruins without having to travel too awfully far.I believe it took us about 45 minutes to an hour to get there on a paved highway!

By any chance have you explored other ruins? We booked Chacchoben and also Tulum’s ruins in Cozumel. I hear the journey from Cozumel to Tulum is quite long. Not sure if we should do 2 days of ruins in a row

Does anyone know if you can go to the Tulum ruins from Costa Maya, or is that only available from the Cozumel port? I haven't been able to bring up any shore excursion info for several days on the RC site. It says that part is down. Anyone else having a problem with that?

1 hour ago, Jen76 said:

Does anyone know if you can go to the Tulum ruins from Costa Maya, or is that only available from the Cozumel port? I haven't been able to bring up any shore excursion info for several days on the RC site. It says that part is down. Anyone else having a problem with that?

No, it is too far. Like nearly three hours each way if the traffic is perfect. Which it never is.

12 hours ago, Livtocruise said:

By any chance have you explored other ruins? We booked Chacchoben and also Tulum’s ruins in Cozumel. I hear the journey from Cozumel to Tulum is quite long. Not sure if we should do 2 days of ruins in a row

Tulum is available only from Cozumel (through Royal), and it is an all-day affair when you consider the ferry rides.  It is very hot this time of year, and our excursion allowed you to go to a beach at the bottom of the cliff for a bit to cool off.  I found Chacchoben nicer.  It is jungle-like, so bug spray is essential.  We did both Tulum and Chacchoben on the same trip.  It can be fatiguing in combination.  For either, take bottled water!