Sail away from Cape Liberty

12 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

We are cruising on AOS on August 18th, 2022 bound for Bermuda and then San Juan.  My question is there much of a view as you sail from Cape Liberty?  

Bill

If you want to see the skyline of NYC and a distant view of the Statue of Liberty, you'll want to be on the port (left) side of the ship.  But, if you are on the uppermost deck, outside, it's all good.

23 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

For a Westerner that is very much a fish out of water while visiting New York City...  NEW YORK CITY! 😲 , the view from Port Liberty was astounding.🤩

IMG952019082995113857196.jpg

I saw on either a FB group or one of the posts here, someone replied "there is no view of NY".....I'm thinking they must have been standing on t \he side with the Jersey view!  LOL

Be aware that the ship is basically in the middle of a yard full of industrial shipping containers and perhaps a cargo ship or two. It's not a pristine vista of the city. It's cool enough, but you are pretty far away. Notice how grainy most folks pics of the skyline are? That's because they are zoomed all the way in. For me the ease of getting there compared to the Manhattan terminal more than makes up for it. On the other side of the ship is the teardrop memorial and its worth a picture as well IMO.

Once in a while (but not often) a ship leaving Cape Liberty might be allowed to sail up the river and near Manhattan before turning and doubling back to leave the area and enter the Atlantic.  I was lucky enough to have this happen once but it should not be expected.

Sailing away under a bridge is always a good time.   Going under the Verrazano Narrows bridge is usually 20 minutes or so after leaving Cape Liberty and kind of cool.   Unless it's raining make plans to be outside for the experience.  

We were fortunate (?) to sail on the first RCL cruise from Port Liberty on a Canadian itinerary in May 2004 on the Voyager.  It was so new, there weren't any directions to the port available, but as lifelong NYers, we found our way.

As I recall, Voyager made it's way up the Hudson River, turned around, past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano Bridge.  What a great view and experience.  Also worthwhile to get up for the early morning return to NY

On one of our summer sailings a helicopter (don't recall if NYC, or Port authority) started showing off for us shortly after the bridge.  It was bobbing and weaving, and then moving in parallel to us sliding front to back,  even did an arched fly over to entertain the other side. Only lasted a few minutes, but amazing to see.

On 6/11/2022 at 6:44 AM, twangster said:

Once in a while (but not often) a ship leaving Cape Liberty might be allowed to sail up the river and near Manhattan before turning and doubling back to leave the area and enter the Atlantic.  I was lucky enough to have this happen once but it should not be expected.

Sailing away under a bridge is always a good time.   Going under the Verrazano Narrows bridge is usually 20 minutes or so after leaving Cape Liberty and kind of cool.   Unless it's raining make plans to be outside for the experience.  

That is something I wish could happen more often. I wish during the sail away they could take the ship up river to get a bit closer to the Statue of Liberty then turn around and head out under Verrazano on her way out to sea.  I'll never forget cruise I took on Norwegian out of the Manhattan Terminal (the terminal is a dump in my opinion at least back then) but sailing past the Statue of Liberty during the sail away has always stuck in my mind and I still look at those pictures.  I remember my first cruise on Royal out of Cape Liberty and as we sailed away I asked some people who had cruise with Royal out of Cape Liberty before if we would sail up to the the Statue of Liberty they were like no this is a close as the ship gets, zoom your camera in if you want a good shot of the Statue of Liberty LOL. 

Other than that bit of disappointment I have to say sailing out of Cape Liberty is fun and there is a lot to see.