Starlink Internet could be coming to Royal Caribbean

8 hours ago, SuzanneM said:

How much?

Before discount Surf/Stream 26.99 and Surf 21.99 Current discount is only 10%. With the current discount Surf, one person, 2 (might have been 3) devices, which I ordered in February for April for 182 is currently 265 for two and 375 for three. Note, adding on device increases the price 110.

FWIW...we never order for each person but rather for one with however many devices will be needed including when my in-laws cruise with us.

Due to a glitch on the last cruise we had to book onboard. Skipped Sunday, used our diamond discounts booking devices separately and got a decent rate for the duration of the cruise.

17 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

Before discount Surf/Stream 26.99 and Surf 21.99 Current discount is only 10%. With the current discount Surf, one person, 2 (might have been 3) devices, which I ordered in February for April for 182 is currently 265 for two and 375 for three. Note, adding on device increases the price 110.

FWIW...we never order for each person but rather for one with however many devices will be needed including when my in-laws cruise with us.

Due to a glitch on the last cruise we had to book onboard. Skipped Sunday, used our diamond discounts booking devices separately and got a decent rate for the duration of the cruise.

Thanks for the info. How many days is that for? How much per day? 

While the 350Mbps speeds from Starlink maritime service sounds impressive it's important to remember that O3b/SES that is currently found on Oasis and Quantum class ships has a proven track record of far exceeding the projected Starlink speeds as far back as April 2018.  

https://en.calameo.com/read/003132028fd96d2228608

Digital Ship magazine wrote about a Princess ship that reportedly set a record for ship connectivity at 1.5 Gbps 4 years ago in April 2018.  Prior to that MSC is thought to have held the record at 580 Mbps at the end of 2017.  In other words Royal has had the slowest internet at sea for almost 5 years.  

Since that time Royal has promised it's guests "The Fastest Internet at Sea" which obviously was just not true.  The problem is that Royal chose not to implement higher speeds from O3b instead keeping Voom capped at 4 Mbps per user making them the slowest internet at sea.

It's amazing to me how much hype Royal has generated by forcing crappy internet on guests for over 5 years and then making a huge splash announcing they will still have the slowest internet at sea using Starlink instead of O3b/SES!

O3b/SES is launching more satellites to make their LEO constellation even faster.  Ironically they are launching their satellites on SpaceX rockets.  As Starlink adds more satellites to their constellation they hope to achieve 350 Mbps maritime service sometime in 2023.  If they do, they will still be four times slower than the 2018 speed of O3b/SES.  

So far the only thing that is increasing on Royal is the price of Voom internet.  It's clever what they have done.  By making their internet so dreadful over the past five years they only have one way to go.  Any marginal increase during the migration to Starlink is going to seem transformational not because it is, but because anything is better than what they provide today.  

At it's best Starlink will still be slower than O3b/SES in 2023.  Yet everyone here has had the proverbial wool pulled over their eyes and is eagerly anticipating the next generation of... the slowest internet at sea.  

3 hours ago, NJCruisers said:

This is all new to me, but I purchased my Voom 1 device for $15.99 pd. If my ship gets this Starlink am I still able to keep that price? We are on the Radiance, a much older ship so this may not even be on their agenda anytime soon.

Once you book at that price you are locked in. Unless they cancel or you cancel. They hope to have it on all ships before the summer of 2023. 

The person who talked about increased price has nothing to do with Starlink. Sailings will always fluctuate in price, it may increase or decrease based on tons of factors.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

The only ship it's on is Freedom.  They're in the process of adding it to other ships but we're not aware it's been activated yet on any other ship.

Freedom's test setup used the residential "dishy" antennas that were just for the test.  The new installations are all using much more professional marine grade hardware.  At some point, if it hasn't occurred already, Freedom will get the same hardware that Indy got.  

• 3 weeks later...

I will be curious to see if they update all the routers you see down the hallways.  I know at work our IT department came in and replaced all the wireless routers to maximize the bandwidth because the ones we had didn't put out what our network could get up to.  So they could get this Starlink, but if they don't update all the other hardware then I don't know how much difference it till make.  I mean it can't get worse, just boost it to where it is now.  I know it's not going to happen over night, but just hope their IT team thinks about that.

11 minutes ago, dustfsu said:

I will be curious to see if they update all the routers you see down the hallways.  I know at work our IT department came in and replaced all the wireless routers to maximize the bandwidth because the ones we had didn't put out what our network could get up to.  So they could get this Starlink, but if they don't update all the other hardware then I don't know how much difference it till make.  I mean it can't get worse, just boost it to where it is now.  I know it's not going to happen over night, but just hope their IT team thinks about that.

I would hope just by switching to Starlink they wouldn't need to replace all that hardware. 

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I would hope just by switching to Starlink they wouldn't need to replace all that hardware. 

There isn't a lot broken with the hardware on the WiFi side.  It is dual band but 5GHz will never work well on a ship.  It just can't penetrate through steel walls as well as 2.4 GHz can.  

Newer ships are built with access points in each cabin.  They won't rip old ships apart to recable the ship and add access points in hallways or inside each cabin.  At one point they talked about using TVs that had access points built in but those are expensive when you desire to couple them to a centralized controller and there are other issues using this type of technology.  

WiFi 6E uses even higher frequencies so adopting emerging technology isn't going to help WiFi on a ship.  

Lastly, Starlink is slower than O3b so migrating to a new ISP isn't going to do a lot other than lower latency.  Indy still employs the draconian 3.5Mbps per user policer which is one thing they could remove to improve performance but even so, with the need to rely heavily on 2.4GHz on a ship that doesn't have in-cabin APs there will long be inherent limits per user.  

Ships will never have ideal WiFi coverage everywhere.  If they invested $3-5 million to completely rip and replace the WLAN environment they'd see at best a 5-10% improvement.   It will never be worth it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Starlink has begun enabling lasers between satellites to expand coverage.  However they are starting in specific regions like Canada, Australia and Antarctica.  

https://wccftech.com/starlink-turns-on-laser-satellites-for-region-with-fourth-month-long-night/

Lasers are the key to expanding coverage to remote areas and more of the oceans.   

On 11/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, JulietTango said:

Hoping that Starlink will be active on Anthem before my sailing in March of 23'! With regards to the speed, how good is it farther out to sea vs near land? 

Just got off of Anthem of the Seas and they told us that Starlink is scheduled for mid-December for install. 

I will be back on Jan 2nd so I will let you know if it is completed

34 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Is there a summary anywhere of ships in the fleet that have has Starlink rolled out?

It has always been up to the cruising community to identify which ships had the legacy Voom versus O3b Voom.  Royal just called it all Voom.  So far Starlink seems to be the same.  i.e. - it's up to us to document which ships have Starlink.  

So far it's only O3b ships.  I haven't seen any legacy geostationary ships get it yet which is a shame as they really, really need it.  O3b ships haven't been the gloom that has become the legacy ships.  

3 hours ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Is there a summary anywhere of ships in the fleet that have has Starlink rolled out?

• Freedom of the Seas
  • Independence of the Seas
  • Liberty of the Seas
  • Enchantment of the Seas
  • Allure of the Seas
  • Oasis of the Seas

Adventure and Anthem are in the process it seems (among others).