Sailing on the same ships or new ones?

So Royal Caribbean has two ships down under for the 2022-2023 cruising season - Ovation and Quantum and three for the 2023-2024 the aformentioned two and Enchantment. I sailed on Ovation back in 2017 and am looking at a New Zealand cruise for early 2024 - Ovation has an itinerary I want to go to, but I've already sailed on her before....I'm wondering if I should fly to Brisbane instead and sail on Quantum that does a very similar itinerary, since it'd be a new ship for me. 

Or should I fly to Hawaii and do the 18 day transpacific.... 🤣

Different ships can be fun.

We sailed a different ship AND class of ship for our first 6 cruises before 3 straight Oasis class ships.   

Right now we are prioritizing itineraries but we did book Odyssey for next year so there's that.

Seems like you can't go wrong with either choice as long as you are cruising.

We sailed on Symphony for our first Oasis class ship a few weeks ago just to experience the ship. And wow.  Everybody says I wont go back to smaller or other ships. But for us usually its about itineraries.  Same ship or not. Next year we booked Hawaii to Vancouver for the itinerary and Wonder for the ship.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

There is a couple on my current cruise that hit Pinnacle this week. They started cruising on 2018. Can you match that as a goal?

I can't imagine!  Wouldn't that be great.  You'd have to be virtually a "full-time" cruiser.  I'd love it.

To date, I have not sailed on the same vessel twice (that will change in July on a 4-nighter on Freedom). I prefer to base trips on the itinerary.

My wife already has three sailings on Freedom with four more scheduled (including the one with me in July). It's her favorite ship and she wants to make sure she hits a multiple of 70 points to get a block on "the right ship."

28 minutes ago, AandD said:

We sailed on Symphony for our first Oasis class ship a few weeks ago just to experience the ship. And wow.  Everybody says I wont go back to smaller or other ships. But for us usually its about itineraries.  Same ship or not. Next year we booked Hawaii to Vancouver for the itinerary and Wonder for the ship.

I only have two more Quantum class ships to go to have cruised on all of them.  I only have two Oasis Class ships to have gone on all of them.  I, currently, have one more Oasis Class booked, Harmony, and then it's down to one.  At my rate of sailing and the rate Royal is producing new ships, I'm guessing I won't be able to keep up.  But, it's fun trying.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

There is a couple on my current cruise that hit Pinnacle this week. They started cruising on 2018. Can you match that as a goal?

Nope, I'll be happy to get my D+ and 5 drink vouchers /day.

I like variety of destinations and ships. Did five straight cruises on Brilliance and cancelled the 6th one because I was done with her that month. Back on BOTS in December.  

12 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

hits a multiple of 70 points to get a block on "the right ship."

10 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

What is this you talk about?  😄

You kid, but she didn't know about the blocks until I told her what to ask the Loyalty Ambassador on her trip this month on Mariner with friends. Only one of us frequents the forums - the other does the extra cruises that accelerate the points accumulation.

She was unhappy that the 140 block won't be on Freedom. That's why multiple trips on Freedom (only one with me) were added - to cross the 210 threshold on Freedom next summer.

9 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

You kid, but she didn't know about the blocks until I told her what to ask the Loyalty Ambassador on her trip this month on Mariner with friends. Only one of us frequents the forums - the other does the extra cruises that accelerate the points accumulation.

She was unhappy that the 140 block won't be on Freedom. That's why multiple trips on Freedom (only one with me) were added - to cross the 210 threshold on Freedom next summer.

No, I kid in the way I asked the question.  But, I really don't know what blocking or whatever it's called is.

The Royal Caribbean Crystal Block is awarded to guests as a milestone recognition when they accumulate 140 cruise points and subsequent blocks every 70 points. 

These blocks are custom made for all 26 ships in the fleet. Guests can create their own 'crystal fleet' as they cruise on different ships around the world.

These crystals would be presented to eligible guests reaching the milestone on that voyage in your staterooms, along with a letter from the ships' loyalty ambassador onboard.

8 minutes ago, Swar said:

These crystals would be presented to eligible guests reaching the milestone on that voyage in your staterooms, along with a letter from the ships' loyalty ambassador onboard.

And now the option exists to have the block shipped to you or to decline receipt of a block.

8 minutes ago, Suite Snob said:

I can't imagine "declining" something like that!

They are large and heavy, which can be an issue when flying for some people.  Also some just don't need more dust collectors around the house.  I'm not a knickknack person and can't imagine it'd be worth dragging home.

22 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They are large and heavy, which can be an issue when flying for some people.  Also some just don't need more dust collectors around the house.  I'm not a knickknack person and can't imagine it'd be worth dragging home.

I thought the same but my wife is the opposite and has planned out to make sure we have the correct itinerary for the block award. She has collected Navigator and Liberty and the next one is scheduled for Allure at the beginning of next year. Three ships, three different classes. After that who knows.

Wait, back to crystal blocks…

I’ve seen them mentioned but ignored those posts/threads b/c I figured (incorrectly) they were for much higher point totals.

Thanks to my generous in-laws, we just got 28 points on a family cruise for 7 nights in a suite booked during the Covid double points promo. That put us at 143 (technically my wife has 143 since I married into a chunk of her childhood points & I’ve been told I don’t really have 143 even though that’s what my account says online).

So what do I do about getting this lovely crystal paperweight? Just call Crown & Anchor and ask?

EDIT: Google is my friend. Looks like I just call as I assumed.

1 hour ago, Jamesszy94 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I want to try Quantum since it's a "new" ship, but I also wouldn't mind sailing on Ovation again, I had a wonderful time on there, bar one night where a passenger was being very rude during the shows.

I've sailed Ovation three times including New Zealand and I've recently sailed Quantum.  While I understand the concept or desire to sail different ships in this case Ovation and Quantum are so very similar I would be hesitant to spend any additional money and/or add flights into the trip just to say I sailed on a different ship.  

In most places around the ship if I magically teleported you back and forth between Quantum and Ovation you'd have a hard time guessing which ship you were on.  Are "bragging rights" worth the additional cost and hassle of flights just to say you sailed on XYZ ship?  

If the Brisbane itinerary was different in a significant manner that's one thing but how much are the flights and how far would that additional money go towards booking a whole different cruise?

If it was a different class of ship that's one thing but these two sister ships are so very similar.  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

Are "bragging rights" worth the additional cost and hassle of flights just to say you sailed on XYZ ship?

I personally agree and I know you were just listing pros/cons but everyone has different values, priorities, preferences, etc.

I'd never fly for a cruise unless it was Alaska or if we decide to do Europe someday or a TA/TP. Hell, I won't even drive 3 hours to South Florida b/c it's just so convenient for me to drive 1 hour to Port Canaveral.

To each his own.

11 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I personally agree and I know you were just listing pros/cons but everyone has different values, priorities, preferences, etc.

I'd never fly for a cruise unless it was Alaska or if we decide to do Europe someday or a TA/TP. Hell, I won't even drive 3 hours to South Florida b/c it's just so convenient for me to drive 1 hour to Port Canaveral.

To each his own.

Fort Lauderdale isn't too bad but that extra hour to Miami feels like an extra 3 hours.  We are fortunate to have so many ships to choose from sailing from Port Canaveral and different ships coming on the horizon.

Spectrum is sailing from Singapore now so it's entered the realm of possibility if my goal is sailing different ships.  So far Singapore is still too far for me to make the effort worth it.

Who would have thought Mariner would come back from Asia?  Who would have thought Voyager would also be in the Atlantic sailing the Caribbean?  I had all but resigned myself to never sailing Wonder.  

Wait long enough and your ship might sail into a port closer to home.

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

We are fortunate to have so many ships to choose from sailing from Port Canaveral and different ships coming on the horizon.

100%. And love that Indy is doing the short cruises and Mariner is the "small ship" now.

I don't care for ships smaller than Voyager-class so that's a ton more options for me now. Have been doing almost nothing but whatever Oasis-class was in PC for a long time, with no complaints, but looking forward to Indy next month b/c it's been so long since I was on any Freedom-class ship (along with trying Playmakers and other reasons of course).

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I've sailed Ovation three times including New Zealand and I've recently sailed Quantum.  While I understand the concept or desire to sail different ships in this case Ovation and Quantum are so very similar I would be hesitant to spend any additional money and/or add flights into the trip just to say I sailed on a different ship.  

In most places around the ship if I magically teleported you back and forth between Quantum and Ovation you'd have a hard time guessing which ship you were on.  Are "bragging rights" worth the additional cost and hassle of flights just to say you sailed on XYZ ship?  

If the Brisbane itinerary was different in a significant manner that's one thing but how much are the flights and how far would that additional money go towards booking a whole different cruise?

If it was a different class of ship that's one thing but these two sister ships are so very similar.  

Flights to/from Brisbane are relatively cheap all year round. I live in Sydney, and a return trip can be anywhere between 150-250 depending on if they have a sale.

Enchantment is coming down here next year and for the 2023-2024 season, so I guess I could try sailing on her too.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Fort Lauderdale isn't too bad but that extra hour to Miami feels like an extra 3 hours.  We are fortunate to have so many ships to choose from sailing from Port Canaveral and different ships coming on the horizon.

Spectrum is sailing from Singapore now so it's entered the realm of possibility if my goal is sailing different ships.  So far Singapore is still too far for me to make the effort worth it.

Who would have thought Mariner would come back from Asia?  Who would have thought Voyager would also be in the Atlantic sailing the Caribbean?  I had all but resigned myself to never sailing Wonder.  

Wait long enough and your ship might sail into a port closer to home.

I also thought about sailing on Spectrum, but it seems like she only does 3 and 4 night cruises... 😔

13 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

How large are they?  The word "block" makes me think it is shaped like a Ribuk's (Magic) Cube.   Anybody have a picture of one?  

3 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

How large are they?  The word "block" makes me think it is shaped like a Ribuk's (Magic) Cube.   Anybody have a picture of one?  

4"Width x 3" tall x 2" Wide - My 1st one was in my backpack, flagged by the machines - had my 2nd one mailed to my home - I don't mind them, but to each their own. 

Block.jpeg

block1.jpeg

2 hours ago, JC Pats said:

4"Width x 3" tall x 2" Wide - My 1st one was in my backpack, flagged by the machines - had my 2nd one mailed to my home - I don't mind them, but to each their own. 

Block.jpeg

block1.jpeg

Kewl, really kewl.  I'd like to have one or two or......  I'm working on it.  

My wife and I like that kind of stuff, we also collect crystal glassware (wine glasses, cordials, and such), Swarovski figurines, Hummels .........  So, those would fit in nicely!

From Brand X, I have several, what they call, Ship on a Stick figurines. 

AND:

WIN_20220416_10_43_27_Pro.jpg

On 6/10/2022 at 8:36 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

My wife already has three sailings on Freedom with four more scheduled (including the one with me in July). It's her favorite ship and she wants to make sure she hits a multiple of 70 points to get a block on "the right ship."

I thought I was using the "right ship" strategy too and thought we were earning our first block on Brilliance last week.  

But the actual ship on the block is ......................SYMPHONY!?!?!  

We did recently sail her and she is one of my favorite ships so it's not that big of a deal.  

Has this happened to anyone else?

14 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

I thought I was using the "right ship" strategy too and thought we were earning our first block on Brilliance last week.  

But the actual ship on the block is ......................SYMPHONY!?!?!  

We did recently sail her and she is one of my favorite ships so it's not that big of a deal.  

Has this happened to anyone else?

This is from the Oasis Loyalty Ambassador (which is what I thought it was... but she confirmed it) - you get a block for the cruise you hit the milestone on. If you were on Brillance and that cruise got you to/above 140 points (1st block), that's the block you should have received. You can call C&A and see if that was correct and/or if they can send you a Brillance block

8 minutes ago, JC Pats said:

This is from the Oasis Loyalty Ambassador (which is what I thought it was... but she confirmed it) - you get a block for the cruise you hit the milestone on. If you were on Brillance and that cruise got you to/above 140 points (1st block), that's the block you should have received. You can call C&A and see if that was correct and/or if they can send you a Brillance block

We definitely hit the 140 point milestone during our Brilliance cruise.   The block arrived after the top tier event.  It definitely says Symphony!  Not really a big issue for us.

Might be a supply and demand issue.  The gift shop was out of the cruise ship Christmas ornaments (said they sold out the first day).