Cruising through time, ship by ship

I started cruising in 1976 on board Carnival's Festival.  The Festival had originally been launched as the Transvel Castle in 1961 for North Atlantic crossing  The Festival was actually the TSS Festival which stood for Turbine Steam Ship.  The ship was fast and had that unmistakable large high bow for the North Atlantic.  If you wanted to use a hair dryer or curling iron you had to go down the hall to "get ready" rooms which had 110 volt electric outlets.  Just a few years later we were on the Song of American which was a remarkable ship of the RCCL.  She was sold off way to soon in my humble opinion.  Next up was the Sovereign of the Seas which was a beautiful ship with the last of her class just retiring which was Majesty of the Seas.  Then came Rhapsody of the Seas which is a Vision Class of ship which we thought was as big as cruise ships were ever going to get.  Much to our surprise came Voyager Class of ships including the Navigator of the Seas which was a great class of cruise ship.  Then came Freedom Class of ship which was wonderful we've sailed on both the Freedom and the Liberty.  Later came the Mega liners.  In my short time cruising I've seen such changes mostly for the better.  Here is a photo chart of the aforementioned ships for comparison.

Bill

IMG_2024.jpeg

When we went on Radiance OTS, we thought it was a very big ship.  Now I have been on Anthem OTS, a mega ship. In November, we will be going back to the US on Vision OTS, which is one of the smaller ships.  All of these are much bigger than the ships of the seventies and eighties, which have been long retired.  

2 hours ago, Audrey V. said:

When we went on Radiance OTS, we thought it was a very big ship.  Now I have been on Anthem OTS, a mega ship. In November, we will be going back to the US on Vision OTS, which is one of the smaller ships.  All of these are much bigger than the ships of the seventies and eighties, which have been long retired.  

I've been on the ROTS 6 or 7 times and it is one of my fav ships.  I've been on the VOTS and it is also a fav even though it's thought of as an older smaller ship.  Easy to get around with nice amenities.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I had never been on a cruise until my wife suggested one for our honeymoon in 2002... and we sailed on Voyager... a ship with an ice skating rink??? WHAT!!!

Sailed on Mariner a couple times after that, then Allure. Up up and away!

When we got to 76 points (she had a bunch from sailing as a kid), we decided to take the cheapest 4-nighter we could find from our home port that summer and went on Enchantment. I was lost without a promenade, lol, but we had a good time of course in addition to reaching Diamond.

Only been on one ship smaller than Voyager since then and that was Radiance in Alaska, which was fine b/c we were there for Alaska, not the ship, but barring special circumstances, I don't want a promenade-less ship.

Different strokes, of course, and it's great that so many different ship classes are out there.

Haven't been on anything except Oasis-class in quite a while and looking forward to Indy next month as a change of pace and to see how I feel about Freedom-class after all this time.