No more Covid test requirements to fly into U.S.

Although, I  don't agree with the snale pace slow roll of dropping protocols that have mainly served to add cost and inconvenience and could've been dropped months+ ago, I    am thankful it is finally happening.  Please keep removing them.  I    agree, they will likely be gone by the end of 2022.

We are looking forward to jumping on Independence in August, but the extra hoops and costs are making us look at All Inclusive for future vacations which are actually significantly less expensive now compared to RCCL.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:34 PM, TXcruzer said:

Testing is a qualifier to cruise at a certain lower level of restrictions; however it is NOT a CDC requirement to cruise period. 

Viking Ocean had been doing daily onboard COVID Tests, but they just stopped that as the US no longer requires testing fly back.  Interestingly, they also just made a change to no longer require COVID tests for boarding, except for sailings out of the US and Canada.

I wonder if Royal will do the same, and drop all tests to board except for sailings out of the US/Canada.

The Trade association CLIA that represents the interests Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian and other cruise lines is now asking the CDC to drop its recommendation that recommends all cruise passengers present a negative COVID test prior to boarding. Although CDC only recommends passengers be tested it appears as though (at least here in the US) cruise lines will not take the next step and remove the testing requirement on their own unless the CDC first ends their recommendation that the test be required.  This probably has more to do  with legal ramification no cruise line wants to be sued by someone claiming they got COVID onboard a cruise. The CDC's recommendation is a problem for cruise lines as long as it exists.  Should the recommendation go away that then may provide legal cover for cruise lines against someone looking to file a frivolous lawsuit.  

According to the article (link provided below) the CLIA is only asking for the CDC to remove its testing recommendation there are no signs yet that the industry is looking to move away from the vaccine requirement. 

The CDC finally caved into the pressure from the nations airlines, lets see if they extend that same courtesy to the cruise line industry.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

9 minutes ago, Audrey V. said:

I remember traveling in the 1960s and 1970s, and maybe it was just my parents, but we had smallpox vaccines and others. Can't the cruise industry still require the vaccine, but not the testing?

I find it "laughable" (not sure that's the word I want to use) that the industry is accepting vaccines that were administered over a year ago.....as a standard to say "ok you can cruise" while we all know it does not prevent the spread.  Now I understand people saying it prevents you from getting seriously ill and it won't overwhelm the ship medical facilities, but the science seems to indicate that the farther out you are from vaccine the less protection you are offered from getting more seriously ill.  Also, the new variants are not as deadly for the majority of people.    So at what point is requiring the vaccine moot?......I was too young for the 60/s 70's travel-but do know that the smallpox vaccine eradicated smallpox, so if that was the case with the Covid vaccine I might be more inclined to say "mandate it"  (and I am not a "mandate type of person")

On 6/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, TXcruzer said:

Testing is a qualifier to cruise at a certain lower level of restrictions; however it is NOT a CDC requirement to cruise period. 

This isn't at all true. The Cruise Lines are even now asking the CDC to reconsider the pre cruise COVID testing. Of course it's a CDC requirement. Go read the post on the board today where CLIA specifically says they hope the CDC will reconsider.

3 hours ago, Bowen said:

This isn't at all true. The Cruise Lines are even now asking the CDC to reconsider the pre cruise COVID testing. Of course it's a CDC requirement. Go read the post on the board today where CLIA specifically says they hope the CDC will reconsider.

I am sorry, but i stand by my initial statement, which is 100% accurate.  There is an option to sail without testing, it just comes with restrictions that no one wants.

The political maneuvering that you refer to with the CLIA is asking the CDC to remove testing while still allowing the current unrestricted "comfort level" of cruising.