Testing positive COVID

Well.. my worst nightmare came true. I was on Wonder of the Seas June 2nd out of Rome and I’ve tested positive for COVID. My husband and kids are negative. They have no symptoms. I wanted to share here so others have a reference if this happens to them or for anyone that can share with me some advice. My advice: 1. Get travelers insurance. 2. Book your flight through Air to Seas. They have been VERY helpful. Will be refunding me and rebooking me 3. Know ahead what the protocol is in the US for getting back to the US if you test positive. Better to be prepared. I have been “Flagged”. I have to Quarantine in Rome for 5 days I tested Thursday after our Rome excursions and can not retest until Monday. NO way around this. Very easy to get tests at the Pharmacia’s here. We did not have an appointment, just walked up and tested. Boom!! Mine lit up like a Christmas tree.  Had I tested on the ship, before getting off,  RC will accommodate you on the ship until your quarantine is done then Air to Sea would get me home from whatever port I’d complete my quarantine. Option 2, find a hotel and Quarantine. Not easy on a weekend to find a room. Im staying near the Pharmacy I tested at. Not sure I have to do that but don’t know that I can get unflagged any other way. Very scary and stressful and I’m here alone as a female. I must wait 5 days to test here. Where I’m confused is, being I feel well aside from allergy symptoms which is not new for me at all, what happens in 5 days if I’m still positive. Yes. I’m vaccinated and boosted. I can’t get a clear answer here at the pharmacy, RC, or Air to Seas as to what I do then. I was told to call the airline and see what their protocol is. I waited on hold for 2 hours before being disconnected by Air Canada. Not sure if a certificate of recovery will do. If yes, where do I even get one?  Or if I HAVE to have a negative rapid antigen test. So this story is to be continued. I had THE most amazing trip and am trying to stay positive in that I get a little vacation alone. Which as a health care provider having worked the whole pandemic… it may be a much needed time to reflect and relax. Any thoughts.. please keep them positive as I’m just trying to get through this. 

So were you at the end of your cruise when you tested positive or did this happen during your scheduled cruise time?  Curious because I am wondering what happened to your husband and children...did they fly home...continue on the cruise?  You noted that you are by yourself and that is why I asked.  I am sorry this has happened to you, especially while in a foreign country!  I do hope your next test proves to be negative, that will be great!  I also hope you are able to get meals, drinks, etc...is someone at the hotel helping you with that?     

Hoping you have no serious symptoms and a quick turn-a-round!  I am interested to know how this plays out and ends for you!  My best wishes!

I am so sorry.  We used Emed tests for our flight home from Rome last month based upon advice given to us by friends.  If you test positive in a pharmacy, you have to quarantine.  At least with the Emed test, you are not in Italy's system.  You still can't fly, but your quarantine is not as strict.  

I am glad that the CDC is ending the testing requirement to fly home.  For our trip, the most stressful moments were testing prior to the cruise, then testing to get home.  

Sounds like the OP disembarked Wonder yesterday and tested positive on the mandatory "return to US" test, which is doubly unfortunate given that the requirement is about to be lifted. Probably her husband and children flew as planned, which ultimately was a very brave but also very sensible decision on the family's part. I would not be surprised if the husband and children subsequently test positive after arriving home but at least they will be home where they have their normal support system. It would be an even worse nightmare for them to have stayed and potentially all test positive in Italy.

OP: I'm so sorry this has happened to you. As far as the certificate of recovery is concerned, since you are now in the Italian system, you should be able to get this from their healthcare system, as the EU has three different types of certification: 1 - vaccination; 2 - negative test, which has limited validity depending on the type of test; and 3 -certificate of recovery. Potentially, the pharmacy where you did your test may be able to assist with this, if you can find someone there who speaks enough English. If you haven't already done so, I would also suggest you contact your Embassy for assistance. I wish you a speedy recovery and a safe flight home to your family as soon as possible.

8 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

Well.. my worst nightmare came true. I was on Wonder of the Seas June 2nd out of Rome and I’ve tested positive for COVID. My husband and kids are negative. They have no symptoms. I wanted to share here so others have a reference if this happens to them or for anyone that can share with me some advice. My advice: 1. Get travelers insurance. 2. Book your flight through Air to Seas. They have been VERY helpful. Will be refunding me and rebooking me 3. Know ahead what the protocol is in the US for getting back to the US if you test positive. Better to be prepared. I have been “Flagged”. I have to Quarantine in Rome for 5 days I tested Thursday after our Rome excursions and can not retest until Monday. NO way around this. Very easy to get tests at the Pharmacia’s here. We did not have an appointment, just walked up and tested. Boom!! Mine lit up like a Christmas tree.  Had I tested on the ship, before getting off,  RC will accommodate you on the ship until your quarantine is done then Air to Sea would get me home from whatever port I’d complete my quarantine. Option 2, find a hotel and Quarantine. Not easy on a weekend to find a room. Im staying near the Pharmacy I tested at. Not sure I have to do that but don’t know that I can get unflagged any other way. Very scary and stressful and I’m here alone as a female. I must wait 5 days to test here. Where I’m confused is, being I feel well aside from allergy symptoms which is not new for me at all, what happens in 5 days if I’m still positive. Yes. I’m vaccinated and boosted. I can’t get a clear answer here at the pharmacy, RC, or Air to Seas as to what I do then. I was told to call the airline and see what their protocol is. I waited on hold for 2 hours before being disconnected by Air Canada. Not sure if a certificate of recovery will do. If yes, where do I even get one?  Or if I HAVE to have a negative rapid antigen test. So this story is to be continued. I had THE most amazing trip and am trying to stay positive in that I get a little vacation alone. Which as a health care provider having worked the whole pandemic… it may be a much needed time to reflect and relax. Any thoughts.. please keep them positive as I’m just trying to get through this. 

Wow, I hope you are feeling ok.

We were on the same cruise and are still in Rome. We are flying Sunday so are no longer required to take the test to return.

On 6/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, Hharris1997 said:

23 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

So were you at the end of your cruise when you tested positive or did this happen during your scheduled cruise time?  Curious because I am wondering what happened to your husband and children...did they fly home...continue on the cruise?  You noted that you are by yourself and that is why I asked.  I am sorry this has happened to you, especially while in a foreign country!  I do hope your next test proves to be negative, that will be great!  I also hope you are able to get meals, drinks, etc...is someone at the hotel helping you with that?     

Hoping you have no serious symptoms and a quick turn-a-round!  I am interested to know how this plays out and ends for you!  My best wishes!

Thank you for all the well wishes. I’m feeling almost💯 now. All is finally settled especially now that the travel ban has been lifted. If it wasn’t for that I may of had to stay more than 5 days if my test continued to be positive on Monday even if I had a letter of recovery. The only negative is because  I tested positive in Italy at the Pharmacy, I’ve been flagged and can not leave until Tuesday. The Abbott test may have been my best bet as someone suggested here in this thread . We used it coming to Italy but didn’t want to travel with the boxes here. My husband and kids made it home. They feel 💯. Of course that could change. Once I found a place to stay and RC’s Air to Sea helped with my flights I feel so much better and am at peace. The only unsure thing for me now is if I have to have a letter of recovery. It’s not a US thing, its an Italy and Canada thing being my layover is there. I will have this answer on Monday.  I would highly recommend using Air to sea for anyone flying because I still can not get any answers directly from Air Canada. I’m not having to pay for transfer of flights they took care of it all. If my husband and kids chose to stay with me their flights being changed would have costed us. Plus, if they did end up getting sick this whole situation could last much longer. Now I must find out directly from the airline and Italy what  their policy is to get back after being flagged. So hopefully I’ll be back on here Tuesday letting you know I’m home bound. Personally, I’m making the most of this time alone and this beautiful city!

On 6/10/2022 at 12:45 PM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Happened last day of cruise after getting off ship in Rome. I had nothing more than my typical allergy symptoms. I brought with me my Flonase and Costco sized Zyrtec. I truly was not expecting a positive test. I’m very fortunate in that I have the ability to stay in a safe place in Rome. Ordering room service and masking up when needing to. RC, at the time I booked, had a booking guarantee program due to COVID. I believe this since has stopped? Not sure if anyone knows and can verify? Being it was the the last day of the cruise, RC is reimbursing me up to $100 for food a day (just have to submit my receipts) and part of my hotel accommodations (not sure how much). The way my test lit up like a Christmas tree on Thursday and (I bought some home tests at the pharmacy so I can continue testing) how it continues the same today it is a good thing I didn’t get on an airplane to get anyone else sick. Thank you for being so kind

21 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

I am so sorry.  We used Emed tests for our flight home from Rome last month based upon advice given to us by friends.  If you test positive in a pharmacy, you have to quarantine.  At least with the Emed test, you are not in Italy's system.  You still can't fly, but your quarantine is not as strict.  

I am glad that the CDC is ending the testing requirement to fly home.  For our trip, the most stressful moments were testing prior to the cruise, then testing to get home.  

Totally agree with you. That was the most stressful part for us too. Glad no one else will have to experience the stress of getting a positive test and how to manage the plans following it. 

18 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Sounds like the OP disembarked Wonder yesterday and tested positive on the mandatory "return to US" test, which is doubly unfortunate given that the requirement is about to be lifted. Probably her husband and children flew as planned, which ultimately was a very brave but also very sensible decision on the family's part. I would not be surprised if the husband and children subsequently test positive after arriving home but at least they will be home where they have their normal support system. It would be an even worse nightmare for them to have stayed and potentially all test positive in Italy.

OP: I'm so sorry this has happened to you. As far as the certificate of recovery is concerned, since you are now in the Italian system, you should be able to get this from their healthcare system, as the EU has three different types of certification: 1 - vaccination; 2 - negative test, which has limited validity depending on the type of test; and 3 -certificate of recovery. Potentially, the pharmacy where you did your test may be able to assist with this, if you can find someone there who speaks enough English. If you haven't already done so, I would also suggest you contact your Embassy for assistance. I wish you a speedy recovery and a safe flight home to your family as soon as possible.

Great advice on the Embassy. I’m actually a block from there. My only hang up is finding out if I have to have any kind of certificate or further testing. RC at this time seems to think I don’t and can just show up at the airport. I’m not sure how I feel about just showing up so I’m heading to the pharmacy on Monday. Any thoughts? Your right in the validity of the test. I do believe I am positive. They gave me the option of getting a PCR after my positive but being I have symptoms I didn’t see the point. I retested today, 2 days after and still positive faster than the control line shows up. 

17 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Wow, I hope you are feeling ok.

We were on the same cruise and are still in Rome. We are flying Sunday so are no longer required to take the test to return.

Wordell how was your cruise?? I’m hoping you and your family enjoyed it as much as we did? Thank you again for all the advice leading up to this trip. Aside from this hiccup, this trip has been the most amazing ones we’ve ever done. Spectacular!! 

1 hour ago, Hharris1997 said:

Wordell how was your cruise?? I’m hoping you and your family enjoyed it as much as we did? Thank you again for all the advice leading up to this trip. Aside from this hiccup, this trip has been the most amazing ones we’ve ever done. Spectacular!! 

We had a great time. If anything,  we did too much! I am looking forward to sleeping on the plane tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Hharris1997 said:

Great advice on the Embassy. I’m actually a block from there. My only hang up is finding out if I have to have any kind of certificate or further testing. RC at this time seems to think I don’t and can just show up at the airport. I’m not sure how I feel about just showing up so I’m heading to the pharmacy on Monday. Any thoughts? Your right in the validity of the test. I do believe I am positive. They gave me the option of getting a PCR after my positive but being I have symptoms I didn’t see the point. I retested today, 2 days after and still positive faster than the control line shows up. 

Starting Sunday, you can freely fly back without a test.

I'm pretty sure that you would be violating Italian quarantine rules, and I'm not sure what the implications of that would be. Since you are "in the system", you are probably stuck until you qualify to get out.

2 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

50 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Starting Sunday, you can freely fly back without a test.

I'm pretty sure that you would be violating Italian quarantine rules, and I'm not sure what the implications of that would be. Since you are "in the system", you are probably stuck until you qualify to get out.

I agree with Wordell. While you're in Italy it doesn't matter what RC says or thinks. You have to abide by Italian law. 

As per the official Re-open EU website, the length of time in quarantine in Italy depends partly on symptoms and partly on vaccination status:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ITA/7012

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I agree with Wordell. While you're in Italy it doesn't matter what RC says or thinks. You have to abide by Italian law. 

As per the official Re-open EU website, the length of time in quarantine in Italy depends partly on symptoms and partly on vaccination status:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ITA/7012

It also looks like it relies on the ability to test negative

17 hours ago, Hharris1997 said:

....They gave me the option of getting a PCR after my positive but being I have symptoms I didn’t see the point. I retested today, 2 days after and still positive faster than the control line shows up. 

You did get lucky with the lifting of the test requirement, cause you may have been in for an extended stay.  A PCR test would not have helped.

I used an emed test day before flight and was negative.  I am guessing I got infected on the plane ride home from rome - carelessly fell asleep with mask off and it was a united flight so there was no mask requirement for other passengers.  Sinus headache day after return and took PCR test 2 days later.  Wife and 2 kids kept masks on and were negative (and continued to test negative).   I continued to test positive on the antigen (rapid/home) tests for 2 full weeks after the flight, testing every 2-3 days.  On the day I tested negative, I had a PCR done that afternoon and it came back positive.  From what I read, after infection, there is residual viral RNA that can stick around for 4 weeks or more, and this small amount will return a positive PCR.

Italy requires 5 day quarantine after testing positive. From what I could make out from the pharmacy, after a 5 day quarantine, no symptoms (no fever for 24 h, no sob, cough), being fully vaccinated I can get a letter of recovery or chose to retest. This is new as of 6/1. However it’s so unclear being I don’t speak the language. You are right, I’m VERY lucky because if the mandate wasn’t lifted it is possible I would have had to stay another 2-10 days. I want to do the right thing and not get anyone sick. My family wore their N95 mask the entire trip home just to be safe. They said the plane was a Petri dish with people coughing and sneezing all over the place. Sorry to hear you and family are positive. Hope you are feeling well? 

Italy requires 5 day quarantine after testing positive. From what I could make out from the pharmacy, after a 5 day quarantine, no symptoms (no fever for 24 h, no sob, cough), being fully vaccinated I can get a letter of recovery or chose to retest. This is new as of 6/1. However it’s so unclear being I don’t speak the language. You are right, I’m VERY lucky because if the mandate wasn’t lifted it is possible I would have had to stay another 2-10 days. I want to do the right thing and not get anyone sick. My family wore their N95 mask the entire trip home just to be safe. They said the plane was a Petri dish with people coughing and sneezing all over the place. Sorry to hear you and family are positive. Hope you are feeling well? 

On 6/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, Hharris1997 said:

Great news.. tested negative today!!! Get to go home tomorrow!!