Power Strip

That is a yes and no answer. We have in the past taken very short extension cords with no surge protector with no issues but others have had them taken away. We quit taking the cords and just take a multi plug block with three outlets. These do not have an issue. But lately we have only used our three port USB plugs since all our devices but my laptop have gone to USB. For my laptop I request and get a ship extension cord from the steward so I can work out on the balcony.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

If you go to and really look and read this link, you'll find that it doesn't mention Surge Protectors/Suppressers at all.  The only thing related to them is "Electrical Extension Cords".

I've always been under the understanding that Surge Protectors/Suppressors, throughout my whole cruising past/history, were/are prohibited items.  I don't know why Royal has not addressed it in THEIR FAQ or anywhere else as far as I can tell.  I've read in other forums that people have actually had those plug/extension blocks that are also surge protected confiscated at the terminal before embarkation.  So, I can't say for sure what is going on with them.  Are they authorized or aren't they?  Enquiring minds want to know.  

12 hours ago, Suite Snob said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

If you go to and really look and read this link, you'll find that it doesn't mention Surge Protectors/Suppressers at all.  The only thing related to them is "Electrical Extension Cords".

I've always been under the understanding that Surge Protectors/Suppressors, throughout my whole cruising past/history, were/are prohibited items.  I don't know why Royal has not addressed it in THEIR FAQ or anywhere else as far as I can tell.  I've read in other forums that people have actually had those plug/extension blocks that are also surge protected confiscated at the terminal before embarkation.  So, I can't say for sure what is going on with them.  Are they authorized or aren't they?  Enquiring minds want to know.  

Due to lack of grounding on marine electrical systems, surge protectors are a major safety concern; and universally disallowed on all types of ships. 

We had the confiscated experience the one time we tried and decided not to try again.

Took a basic 3 outlet, dollar tree one and it was removed from the carry-on. Obviously got it back at the end of the cruise but was glad I didn't have a pricey one.

Seems like a YMMV situation. But USB hubs have gotten through on more occasions, from what I hear.

I just remembered that on my last cruise, a Port Security person (Port of Seattle, Pier 91) tried to confiscate my drone.  I tried to show him Royal's website FAQ that specifically authorized bring a Drone aboard (it also says that you can't fly it on board).  But, it didn't matter to him.  It wasn't until we got to his, I assume, supervisor that the decision was reversed.  Yes, YMMV is a very important aspect of what is authorized or not.  Actually, it depends on the training, or not, of the person doing the inspection of your personal belongings and THEIR interpretation of their training, unfortunately.   

It would be interesting to read if anybody took a plug block (no cord) with surge suppressor/protector to the terminal and was told that it wasn't authorized.  But, was asked to show where it is prohibited, in writing.  AND, show a copy of Royal's own FAQ that doesn't mention a suppressor or protector, just an electrical extension cord.