Main dining room - multiple mains?

Hi all! 

I’ve never sailed with Royal before and my partner and I are looking at booking a trip for next year sometime. 

I have a question with the MDR. My partner is a very big eater (powerlifter) and he’s not sure what the portion sizes are like in the MDR. Do they allow you to order more than one main per person? He wouldn’t eat multiple plates of food, but he’d definitely eat more than 1 portion. 

1 hour ago, WinterRuby said:

Do they allow you to order more than one main per person? He wouldn’t eat multiple plates of food, but he’d definitely eat more than 1 portion. 

Oh yes, he'll be more than welcome to have several portions of the same item OR many different selections.  In my experience, the dining staff take it as a personal challenge if a person requires a larger portion to be filled up, and I've never seen them fail! 😉

16 hours ago, WinterRuby said:

Hi all! 

I’ve never sailed with Royal before and my partner and I are looking at booking a trip for next year sometime. 

I have a question with the MDR. My partner is a very big eater (powerlifter) and he’s not sure what the portion sizes are like in the MDR. Do they allow you to order more than one main per person? He wouldn’t eat multiple plates of food, but he’d definitely eat more than 1 portion. 

Keep in mind the Main Dining Room is only one of at least 4 different food venues on any ship. There's the buffet, the cafe, pizza (all free) and at least 1 specialty restaurant and room service (additional cost). There is food EVERYWHERE and at almost all times of day and it's all pretty good. Your partner will have PLENTY to eat.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:58 PM, Audrey V. said:

More than once we went to Windjammer following our MDR dinner.  Sometimes their concept of veggies is 2 spears of asparagus. Come to think of it, eating beforehand may be good, so as to stay away from the breads and starches.  

You can always ask gif extra helpings on the veggies.  Also consider ordering additional food off the vegan menu.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, Audrey V. said:

More than once we went to Windjammer following our MDR dinner.  Sometimes their concept of veggies is 2 spears of asparagus. Come to think of it, eating beforehand may be good, so as to stay away from the breads and starches.  

Our normal routine is Sorrento's before Windjammer opens. Then windjammer for sushi. Then MDR. Then windjammer before it closes. Then Sorrento's before bed.

You've already paid for it. They are offering all you can eat food. Time to make them pay for it. 🙃

So when I brought my BFF and brother on their first cruise in 2021, they came up with the bright idea day  to hit everything starting at 5pm. We were in a suite so they hit the SL for a snack and a few cocktails. Then the WJ, our dinner at CK and then would order room service from the MDR. Finally after last call drinks from the SL, they would hit Sorrento's. I felt so bad for our cabin steward as we would have stacks of empty plates all throughout the day and night.