Scooters onboard and in ports any experience a plus

My mother is 80 years old and just can't get around too well anymore but she loves to cruise, oh how she loves to cruise. She is wanting to get a scooter for this cruise so she can do a little more as she can not walk too far because of her COPD and her body just being plain worn out. My question is have any of you had experience with this? We are in an accessible junior suite so we know the door will be a little wider but what about everywhere else. Also we will be renting her a scooter so does anyone have experience with that as well? This is uncharted territory for us and I want to make it the best I can for my mother as I am not sure how many more cruises I will get to enjoy with her. Any help would be highly appreciated.

My late wife needed a scooter for medical problems which limited her ability to walk.  We probably used scooters on at least 15 RCCL cruises.  RCCL provided a list of companies which provided scooters at which ports.  I would order the scooter and make the arrangements.  The scooter would either be in our cabin or a crew member would meet us with the scooter at the terminal, depending on location and ship.  We had very little trouble using the scooter on the ship during the cruise.  Most people were very considerate when using elevators allowing plenty of room.  On several occasions the crew/staff even loaded the scooter on and off tender ships so we could go ashore.  This service needs to be pre-arranged and won't be available everywhere.  All that said use of the scooter enabled us to enjoy cruising and the time we had remaining together.

Bill

9 minutes ago, Paid4c4 said:

My late wife needed a scooter for medical problems which limited her ability to walk.  We probably used scooters on at least 15 RCCL cruises.  RCCL provided a list of companies which provided scooters at which ports.  I would order the scooter and make the arrangements.  The scooter would either be in our cabin or a crew member would meet us with the scooter at the terminal, depending on location and ship.  We had very little trouble using the scooter on the ship during the cruise.  Most people were very considerate when using elevators allowing plenty of room.  On several occasions the crew/staff even loaded the scooter on and off tender ships so we could go ashore.  This service needs to be pre-arranged and won't be available everywhere.  All that said use of the scooter enabled us to enjoy cruising and the time we had remaining together.

Bill

So sorry for the passing of your wife Bill. I appreciate the help and insight on this as I want to make it as enjoyable as possible. It sounds like the use of a scooter on board was very positive.

13 hours ago, DuaneG said:

My mother is 80 years old and just can't get around too well anymore but she loves to cruise, oh how she loves to cruise. She is wanting to get a scooter for this cruise so she can do a little more as she can not walk too far because of her COPD and her body just being plain worn out. My question is have any of you had experience with this? We are in an accessible junior suite so we know the door will be a little wider but what about everywhere else. Also we will be renting her a scooter so does anyone have experience with that as well? This is uncharted territory for us and I want to make it the best I can for my mother as I am not sure how many more cruises I will get to enjoy with her. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Take a peek at this recent related post... Matt provided a link to a company that provides scooters, wheelchairs, etc... My MIL is 83 with mobility issues as well and we may need to look into this company too!

My father and wife both use scooters. Since we live in the Orlando area, when sailing out of Port Canaveral, we bring the scooters from home. When traveling out of any of the other Florida Ports we use Special Needs at Sea (link in the post above). Customer Service has been outstanding. 

In some cases they will have the scooters available before you enter the Port for processing near the Parking garage, if not, we arrange for wheelchair assistance onto the ship and the scooters are waiting in our rooms.  

Using the scooters provide much more independence for my dad and wife.  

Good luck!