La Spezia

We are sailing on Wonder on September 25th and will be at La Spezia the 28th. We want to go to Florence and visit the Accademia. Of course, none of the excursions go there so we are going to try and "choose our own adventure". This is our first Mediterranean cruise, and we aren't sure how to get from La Spezia to Florence. I've tried to figure out the rains but it doesn't look like there are many choices. If anyone has taken a train i would love to hear your thoughts. Also what time should we make our museum reservations?

Thanks

I depends on how long your ship will be in LeSpezia. 74 miles from LeSpezia to Florence. By train, about 2 hours, here's a link for you La Spezia to Florence (rome2rio.com). Understand that the Italian trains don't always stick to their schedules, maintenance problems, strikes, etc. Sorry, can't help you with the museum, perhaps someone else will chime in here. Bouon viaggio!😎

Have you thoroughly checked Royal's excursions? In 2015 we went on Historical Florence & Accademia Museum. Excursion # LV1 If this specific excursion is not offered I'm sure there is something very similar. Was it worth the $172 pp we paid in 2015??? ABSO-FREAK'IN-LUTELY!

The Academy is not necessarily a destination itself, it is limited for other than The David. There is a gallery or two of 16th century paintings which may have some extraordinary examples but compared to works associated to Michelangelo, who cares? 

The David is extraordinary and exceeds expectations. Like Burnelleschi's dome, very much a symbol of Florence. You'll be a better person after you have seen it.

3 hours ago, bobroo said:

Have you thoroughly checked Royal's excursions? In 2015 we went on Historical Florence & Accademia Museum. Excursion # LV1 If this specific excursion is not offered I'm sure there is something very similar. Was it worth the $172 pp we paid in 2015??? ABSO-FREAK'IN-LUTELY!

The Academy is not necessarily a destination itself, it is limited for other than The David. There is a gallery or two of 16th century paintings which may have some extraordinary examples but compared to works associated to Michelangelo, who cares? 

The David is extraordinary and exceeds expectations. Like Burnelleschi's dome, very much a symbol of Florence. You'll be a better person after you have seen it.

I actually called Royal Caribbean and asked if there was a tour going to Accademia and they said there was not. Thanks for your response I think we are going to try it on our own

The tours to accedamia are limited to small groups due to Covud restrictions still in place. That is why they are not offered by Royal.

You can get tickets on the accedamia website in advance for specific times and then take the "Florence on your own" tour through the cruise line. You may want to find out through Royal the times you will actually be in Florence.

You could also book a private tour through a 3rd party. Search cruise tours from La Soezia in Google. These are expensive but may be worth it.

Also note that it is 2 to 3 hours each way from LA Spezia. I love Florence, but that is too long to spend on the road.

I would look at going to Pisa, Lucca, or Cinque Terre as alternatives. I chose Cinque Terre and have a post describing our day.