Sailing on Symphony of the seas June 18th.  Does anyone know the bourbon situation?  I know they have buffalo trace, my personal favorite.  I'm hoping they have other offerings from the Buffalo Trace family. 

I found Blanton's on my 2018 honeymoon cruise.  There is nothing better than drinking Blanton's neat out of a plastic cup on the pool deck.  FOR FREE!!!!!

If anyone knows shops in St. Thomas or St. Martin let me know.  I will update my findings once I'm back.

Cheers.

Was on Harmony a few weeks ago and the bartenders at CK and Suites Sun Deck were very open about supply issues.  I was discussing scotch and bourbon and they shared that supplies were low and very hit or miss on re-supply.  Some bars were out of specific brands but others might still have something you are looking for.  My guess the situation will remain very fluid.  The suites sun deck was the only place the had a couple of items, likely the whole ship got re-stocked at the same time and that location just didn’t have the same demand as other spots on the ship.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get off the ship in St. Thomas since we had been there a number of times before but my friend found and got a few bottles Blanton’s in St. Kitts.  They were a little higher in price than ideal but it was there at  least.

Good luck with the bourbon situation and have fun,  

The standard list of bourbon that is usually onboard is Buffalo Trace (My go to brand!) Bulleit, Maker's Mark, and Four Roses. There may be others, but I generally stick with Buffalo Trace unless the onboard bar I'm at is out.

There are many other brands of whiskeys and scotches available, too.

I doubt Blanton's will be available onboard anytime soon. It's hard to find and currently retails at about $150 a bottle. (I know this because I just bought a bottle!)

BuffaloTrace.gif

54 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Was on Harmony a few weeks ago and the bartenders at CK and Suites Sun Deck were very open about supply issues.  I was discussing scotch and bourbon and they shared that supplies were low and very hit or miss on re-supply.  Some bars were out of specific brands but others might still have something you are looking for.  My guess the situation will remain very fluid.  The suites sun deck was the only place the had a couple of items, likely the whole ship got re-stocked at the same time and that location just didn’t have the same demand as other spots on the ship.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get off the ship in St. Thomas since we had been there a number of times before but my friend found and got a few bottles Blanton’s in St. Kitts.  They were a little higher in price than ideal but it was there at  least.

Good luck with the bourbon situation and have fun,  

Thank you for the info.  I guess I will have to try all the bars on the ship (for research purposes).  Its a tough job but someone has to do it. 

56 minutes ago, SPS said:

The standard list of bourbon that is usually onboard is Buffalo Trace (My go to brand!) Bulleit, Maker's Mark, and Four Roses. There may be others, but I generally stick with Buffalo Trace unless the onboard bar I'm at is out.

I doubt Blanton's will be available onboard anytime soon. It's hard to find and currently retails at about $150 a bottle. (I know this because I just bought a bottle!)

BuffaloTrace.gif

You have some good taste.  Thanks for the info.  I know one thing finding a good drink on a cruise isn't hard.  Blanton's by me is now 200+.  Plenty of other good bourbon out there. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Do you love it said:

If anyone knows shops in St. Thomas or St. Martin let me know.

Shop in St. Martin: Gulmohar's (Whisky Paradise), http://www.gulmoharsxm.com/

Back in April the had the Black and Red versions on Blanton's... $225 and $250

My purchase, Willett Rye (4y) for $55 Michter's Straight Rye for $40

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Shop in St. Martin: Gulmohar's (Whisky Paradise), http://www.gulmoharsxm.com/

Definitely worth a visit if you have the means to take your purchases home with you. They will bag up your purchases and deliver them to the ship if you buy early enough, so you don't even have to carry them around all day if you go in the morning.

15 hours ago, Do you love it said:

You have some good taste.  Thanks for the info.  I know one thing finding a good drink on a cruise isn't hard.  Blanton's by me is now 200+.  Plenty of other good bourbon out there. 

Cheers

You're welcome. I visited the Buffalo Trace Distillery back in October. (My wife gifted me a Kentucky Bourbon Trail weekend for my 50th) No Blanton's was available, but I did bring home a delicious bottle of Eagle Rare.

BTD Combo.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

We were on Independence last month. We drank a L O T of Buffalo Trace, I dont think we ran into any supply issues on it.  It is my go to, since it was readily available I didnt pay much attention to what else they had. I know they had Makers. I didnt see any Eagle Rare. I also really like Four Roses small batch and single barrel.  The Viking Lounge had single barrel pre pandemic but I didnt see any Four Roses at all last month.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:52 PM, SPS said:

BuffaloTrace.gif

Plentiful in St. Maarten if you happen to have a port call.

on a slightly (un)related topic, I have never been able to get a decent old fashioned on a RC cruise. Last couple cruises they all either had soda, muddled fruit, were shaken or some other similar crime against humanity.

Last month I was in the viking lounge and no one else was there. The waiter seemed to want to chat (and I didn't see a bartender) so I asked him if he could put some buffalo trace, angostura bitters, and simple syrup in a rocks glass and stir it.  He looked puzzled and said sure.

He came back with a nice cocktail. I slipped him some cash and told him I had more guys on the way who would want same. My son and son in law came and we drank several of them. Idk how much we tipped him but he didn't get 10 feet away from us the rest of the afternoon.

2 hours ago, brdjnr said:

on a slightly (un)related topic, I have never been able to get a decent old fashioned on a RC cruise. Last couple cruises they all either had soda, muddled fruit, were shaken or some other similar crime against humanity.

Last month I was in the viking lounge and no one else was there. The waiter seemed to want to chat (and I didn't see a bartender) so I asked him if he could put some buffalo trace, angostura bitters, and simple syrup in a rocks glass and stir it.  He looked puzzled and said sure.

He came back with a nice cocktail. I slipped him some cash and told him I had more guys on the way who would want same. My son and son in law came and we drank several of them. Idk how much we tipped him but he didn't get 10 feet away from us the rest of the afternoon.

Know what you're getting at. Using the menu description from the Pub for a Classic Old Fashioned:

image.png.192755087f5ab40af3c74e75124c77aa.png

No where does it say "mashed fruit salad". Yet somehow when I order one it ends up being borderline tasting along the lines of fruit cake.

One trick that seems to work is clearly saying don't mash anything and make it as the menu describes.

3 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Know what you're getting at. Using the menu description from the Pub for a Classic Old Fashioned:

image.png.192755087f5ab40af3c74e75124c77aa.png

No where does it say "mashed fruit salad". Yet somehow when I order one it ends up being borderline tasting along the lines of fruit cake.

One trick that seems to work is clearly saying don't mash anything and make it as the menu describes.

Unfortunately their classic old fashioned is way too sweet.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Unfortunately their classic old fashioned is way too sweet.

To me any drink that calls for a syrup is too sweet. I find the bartenders have a very bad habit of free pouring syrup.

Trick on the Classic Old Fashioned might be asking to hold the simple syrup and letting the juice left on a maraschino cherry doing any sweeting.

I was in St. Martin in October and there was a wonderful liquor store there off the beaten path that had so many types of Bourbon, including several types of Blanton’s (they told me some of them aren’t even sold in the US-just exported). The prices were good on all the other Bourbons as well.  I would have bought more for my husband if I hadn’t been flying back from Miami. I found the liquor store selection in St. Thomas to be very disappointing.  

50 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Gulomahr's on Front Street..highly recommend checking it out. You can walk or water taxi from the port.

http://www.gulmoharsxm.com/

Much obliged , got my sights set on some sazerac products. In 2019 in st kitts I purchased some blantons cask strength. Can’t get it in the states. Am still sipping on it. 

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to report that the Bourbon was WELL STOCKED onboard Quantum of the Seas last week!

One hiccup that I had on Day One is that ONE BAR did not have Buffalo Trace. The bartender told me that they would have it the next day as they had not yet received their restock yet. All other bars I visited that day did have it.

For the duration of the Cruise, all bars we visited had Buffalo Trace (YES!), Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Bulleit Rye, & Jim Beam. I don't recall seeing Four Roses, but I was also not seeking it out.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, amanalo217 said:

On Harmony this week and the suite deck bar had a nice selection

Nice selection! I don't ever recall seeing Angel's Envy, Old Forester, or Elijah Craig on board any of our sailings.

Possibly only available in "Suite Guests Only" areas?

On 6/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, CGTLH said:

Ship/venue wise, best selection has to be at The Mason Jar on Wonder.

20220609_151708_copy_948x1264.thumb.jpg.86058a6083e5a3dcbd094b6ada6cd332.jpg

Plus, The Mason Jar is the only spot with the large style ice cubes.

20220307_225701_copy_1600x1200.thumb.jpg.f8be2180f611f2293ffe1f5759588948.jpg

WHOA!!  So the Mason Jar has EH Taylor for $13 a drink?  Wow, that’s Awesome.  EH is head and shoulders better than any bourbon on that list.  I have 13 bottles of EH and thankfully do as it’s become hard to find.  There’s liquor stores near me where I can find Eagle Rare for $45-50.  And not usually hard to find.  Baker’s is another great bourbon and rather hard to find.  EH and Bakers on a cruise?  That is awesome, take advantage of those two bourbons.  Don’t waste your time on the others. 

I went on Harmony just before Covid, the final cruise before they stopped.  They had a big barrel cut open in the liquor shop and they filled it with bottles of Blantons—$80/bottle which is basically retail price.  They were promoting they had every letter in stock (the letter on the cap by the horses back leg).  There were over 30 bottles in/on the barrel.  I have 6 bottles at home but grabbed 3 bottles while I had the chance.  I went on Harmony again this year expecting to find the Blantons again and they didn’t have it on the ship.  I’m guessing their supply chain got cut off or short. 

On 6/9/2022 at 2:45 PM, Do you love it said:

Cheers

Not sure which ports you’re going to but we found a store in St Maartens that sold liquor and found Blantons for $75.  I bought a couple bottles since the ship didn’t have it this time around.  We went to the beach bar and watched the planes come in then walked to the stores just beyond the beach.  Did some shopping in the jewelry store then stopped in the liquor store which had a decent selection and good pricing.  Pricing definitely wasn’t gouged. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 10:38 PM, TMatl said:

Not sure which ports you’re going to but we found a store in St Maartens that sold liquor and found Blantons for $75.  I bought a couple bottles since the ship didn’t have it this time around.  We went to the beach bar and watched the planes come in then walked to the stores just beyond the beach.  Did some shopping in the jewelry store then stopped in the liquor store which had a decent selection and good pricing.  Pricing definitely wasn’t gouged. 

Thanks for the info.  We are making up our cruise this weekend.  We are stopping at St. Maartens.  I will be trying to do the same shopping for bourbon and watching the planes come in. 

Cheers,

Michael 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, brdjnr said:

Great tip.  I will remember that.

• 5 months later...

This summer I will be heading out on Odyssey of the Seas for the first time.  Is there a place to get "good ice"?   On Symphony of the seas I would head to Vintages for buffalo trace and a big ice cube. 

Has anyone had luck finding good bourbon in Europe?

We are heading out of Rome and stopping at Santorini, Ephesus, Mykonos and Naples.  

Cheers.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:32 PM, TMatl said:

WHOA!!  So the Mason Jar has EH Taylor for $13 a drink?  Wow, that’s Awesome.  EH is head and shoulders better than any bourbon on that list.  I have 13 bottles of EH and thankfully do as it’s become hard to find.  There’s liquor stores near me where I can find Eagle Rare for $45-50.  And not usually hard to find.  Baker’s is another great bourbon and rather hard to find.  EH and Bakers on a cruise?  That is awesome, take advantage of those two bourbons.  Don’t waste your time on the others. 

I went on Harmony just before Covid, the final cruise before they stopped.  They had a big barrel cut open in the liquor shop and they filled it with bottles of Blantons—$80/bottle which is basically retail price.  They were promoting they had every letter in stock (the letter on the cap by the horses back leg).  There were over 30 bottles in/on the barrel.  I have 6 bottles at home but grabbed 3 bottles while I had the chance.  I went on Harmony again this year expecting to find the Blantons again and they didn’t have it on the ship.  I’m guessing their supply chain got cut off or short. 

Just got off the Harmony in April of this year - they had a ton of Blanton's for sale at the Port Merchant's shop. We picked up 2 bottles, $110 each, which is about halfway between retail and what you can find on the secondary market.  No complaints from us!  🙂