Alaskan Excursion Apparel

Hello Royal Caribbean Gurus. Can you help us pack for our excursions in Alaska in August. There are a lot of sites with suggestions but we are trying to pack as light as possible. Our excursions in August are:

Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear Watch by floatplane
Skagaway - Dog Sledding and Glacier Flight Watching

Endicott Arm Fjord - Glacier Explorer

Juneau - Pilot’s Choice Glacier Explorer

Any suggestions, especially footwear would really be helpful. 
Thanks All. 

Footwear... any type of light hiking boots. I got a fairly cheap pair on Amazon that looked like sneakers and wore them everyday for our 10 days on land and 8-day cruise in 2018.

When you hike/walk on a glacier they will give you crampons (sharp metal spikes that attach to your boots). We did this. My wife even ice climbed with similar light, cheap hiking boots that were more like sneakers.

We also went dog sledding on a glacier in Skagway and they were fine there too.

For footwear some waterproof hiking boots would be good. I wore mine on all our Alaska Excursions last September and was glad I did with the temperatures and walking we did. Do not suggest tennis or canvas type shoes as they tend to get a might bit cold especially when wet. You can pick up Frog Togg rain gear on Amazon for a good price that is breathable and will keep you dry from any potential rain events. Folds up nice in a bag and will fit over your clothes.

17 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

For footwear some waterproof hiking boots would be good. I wore mine on all our Alaska Excursions last September and was glad I did with the temperatures and walking we did. Do not suggest tennis or canvas type shoes as they tend to get a might bit cold especially when wet. You can pick up Frog Togg rain gear on Amazon for a good price that is breathable and will keep you dry from any potential rain events. Folds up nice in a bag and will fit over your clothes.

Hey, One crazy Texan to another, San Antonio here. Do you recommend gortex lined? Is it worth the cost? 

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Our first two stops this week have been mild and dry. Next week may be cold and rainy. You really have to pack for all weather

Woof, It’s the bandit. Thanks Firebird ( Hope that is from Smokey). We are expecting lots of rain and packing accordingly, including layers. We really just don’t want to live in soggy shoes. 

Didn't need the Gortex. The Toggs work great (use them on my motorcycle rides) and the layering keeps the cold out. Layering is important as stated above for the weather changes. Our trip in September was fairly consistent with temperatures in the 50's and overcast with only mild drizzle/light rain at times. Depends early August or late August. We panned for gold and had late Salmon Bake dinner outside and the rain gear helped with the cooler temps in the evening especially with the light drizzle. Remember to take a stocking cap and scarf, they help.

52 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Light weight thermals and other warm items to allow you to layer as required.  A good set of rain gear is a must also. 

Thanks. I’ve been to Alaska a few times…don’t recommend Fairbanks in January, lol. This is our first family trip, TG it is summer. They don’t make thermals for those Fairbanks winter nights. 

32 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

We each had a set of these, agreed.

I asked for our Blind Santa family Xmas exchange for Frog Togs for our upcoming Alaska Cruise.  We have since taken the cruise.  I've always liked Frog Tog rain gear especially when I was big into motorcycling all over the country.  Funny thing, I never needed the rain gear while on the Alaska cruise, May 13 - 20.  Not complaining though. 

Having said all that, I wouldn't think of not having rain gear (Frog Togs) while in Alaska.  

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Have lots of gortex issued in my military days.  It’s bulky and warm…Hot in nice weather though.   I actually prefer lightweight frog tog type rain gear.  

I spent about a month in Bardufoss, Norway, which is about 2 or 3 hundred miles north of the Artic Circle on a NATO exercise.  This was about the same time Gortex was coming out but the Army didn't feel fit to purchase it, yet.  So, we had our Mickey Mouse Boots, long johns, field jacket with liner, extreme cold weather parka, 3 fingered gloves with inserts, artic head gear and a face mask that made us look like something out of a movie.  We lived in GP Mediums with heaters that didn't work and the fuel, when we could get it, was small blocks of wood that the locals cut up for us.  Our weather ranged from 10 degrees down to -40 degrees.  Man, I loved that exercise even though we froze our a$$es off. Beautiful country.  The British mess hall had fresh Reindeer and Whale steaks, most days.  Of course, the U.S. Mess hall had Chili Mac and fried Chicken, everyday, for lunch and dinner, and powdered eggs, flat pancakes (paper thin) with watered down syrup, for breakfast. 

I miss some things about the Army.  Yes, that includes roughing it.  

One side point - be sure bring a second pair of shoes, even if it's sport sandals. Drying out hiking boots/shoes takes time... 

I like sport sneakers that have removable liners and lots of drain holes as my primary option for that time of year. Unless you're fly fishing in the middle of a stream (in which case you'd have waders) your feet shouldn't get too cold, but wet will be a problem year-round.