Best quality in an assistant waiter?

16 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

For me it is one that never let's my water glass go empty. I am on Wonder of the Seas and Joseph has been on point all week. He doesn't even let me get to half full.

I would agree. I think just some one who is overall very attentive. We had an assistant waiter on anthem of the seas who was very attentive to the whole family's needs. He was very good in making sure our drinks were full and was always there if we needed anything in particular. 

As someone who likes water at dinner I couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately on a recent oasis sailing it was like I was in a desert, my glass would be empty and when filled once it would remain empty until I could find the AW to request water.  (Repeat, nightly) Thankfully this is not typical, but those who are first time cruisers would have a super negative impression. 

I think the best quality is friendliness and willingness to communicate.  You can't serve customers well if you don't understand them.  So we enjoy getting to know our wait staff and allowing them to know us.  The rest follows....Now for me, extra water isn't as important as an extra roll or plenty of butter, but good service is always enjoyed!

Our AW on Anthem picked up that generally we would finish the first soda or tea pretty quickly on night one and from night 2 onward he just brought out two of each right off the bat. I thought that was pretty smart. He was always working that crumb sweeper too. I told him early on it was not necessary, but he insisted. Darschand, if I remember correctly.