Cinque Terre

wordell1

I visited Cinque Terre today from our stop at La Spezia. We took at taxi to the train station and then took the special train that runs both ways, and stops at each town. We elected to start at the farthest town (Monressero) and work our way back. It took less that 1 hr to get there.

First of all, this place is beautiful. You really have to see it to believe it. We took a little time to explore the town and then started the hike from Montessero to Vernazza. 

This is a 2 mile hike but you need to be in pretty good shape to make it. It has over 500 steps up and the trail is rocky and narrow at times. I have no regrets about making the hike,  but I am definitely feeling the effects. The views from the hike are spectacular.

Vernazza was very crowded so we grabbed a quick panini lunch, and explored before taking the train to Manarola. In Manrola we again explored and had a Gelato break.

We then elected to get back to the ship as this is our last day and we need to pack to get off in Rome tomorrow.

I highly recommend this as an alternative to the 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to Florence. It was fun and inexpensive.

We had no issues with the train. I had read that it could be difficult to get on at times because of the crowds. Maybe it was because we started at the farthest town, but we never had a problem.

I will post pictures in a follow up post.

23 hours ago, WAYNO said:

Wow.  And which ancient engineer put his stamp on these walkways?  They're not for my faint heart.  But all so beautiful.

They were described in several guides as easy to moderate. There are 500 steps up, some of which are very steep.

As I said above,  I would highly recommend the hike, but it was not easy. I can easily walk 5 plus miles at home (flat) and I was definitely winded a few times.