Packing for a B2B

Hi - My family of 4 is going on a B2B Alaska sailing in early July.  We've been on several 7 and 9 day cruises (Caribbean and Europe), but this is our first time in Alaska.  I've read all of the "what to pack" blogs, vlogs, message boards, etc.  I am all about layers.

I realize we will probably need to do laundry on the ship.  I just don't want to do a week's worth of laundry for 4 on the ship!

How much extra, if any, do you need or do you pack when going on a B2B sailing?

Our standard attire is going to be jeans/joggers, tshirt, sweatshirt, rain jacket/poncho.  We will being some shorts just in case.  I am more concerned about the daytime attire and how much I need.

If you layer (short-sleeved t-shirts, shorts etc.) you can likely rinse quite a few items out in the sink. I usually pack for a week and then hand-rinse socks, undies, etc. (the body wash in the shower works really well). You can also buy souvenir t-shirts in port for pretty good deals as well so maybe bring and plan to toss a couple old ones, replacing them with new ones bought there. The weather will be the big variable, obviously. Good luck!

34 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

Hi - My family of 4 is going on a B2B Alaska sailing in early July.  We've been on several 7 and 9 day cruises (Caribbean and Europe), but this is our first time in Alaska.  I've read all of the "what to pack" blogs, vlogs, message boards, etc.  I am all about layers.

I realize we will probably need to do laundry on the ship.  I just don't want to do a week's worth of laundry for 4 on the ship!

How much extra, if any, do you need or do you pack when going on a B2B sailing?

Our standard attire is going to be jeans/joggers, tshirt, sweatshirt, rain jacket/poncho.  We will being some shorts just in case.  I am more concerned about the daytime attire and how much I need.

We are interested as well.  We are doing an Alaska B2B in August.

3 hours ago, Funeegal said:

For 14 days, I would typically pack this standard attire plan (including sleepwear and bathing suit). I plan to wear things like jeans and sweatshirts multiple days, but plan for clean underwear, socks and shirts every day.  Anything that can get wet, I make sure I have additional items to allow time for wet to dry.  I would also plan for a couple pairs of shoes/sneakers/boots.

As for ship laundry, we do use the wash and fold service for underwear, socks, shirts, shorts (maybe jeans).  It costs $35 per bag (discounted or free for Diamond/Diamond +).  Not sure of the cost for other laundering services.

Your other option is laundry off ship after 7 nights.  If this ship goes to Seward, the laundromat is about 1.5 miles from the ship and there is free shuttle service.  Call it a shore excursion 😄.  

Thanks!  We are round trip on Ovation (Seattle) and do not plan on spending a day in Seattle in between cruises so a laundromat is out.  We do get discounted ship laundry.  I mean really....who owns enough underwear for 17 days?

We do not wear our undies in front, in back, inside out, and go front and back again (4 days) as Fred does in Big Hero 6.  🙂