WHY DO YOU CRUISE? WHAT IS THE DRAW?

As a former serving member of the Royal Navy, I genuinely rebelled against the whole idea for many years. As a professional sailor I had a jaundiced view of floating "Gin Palaces" one I freely admit was not correct. Finally though, I had to come up with something for one of Sheryls birthdays so I bit the bullet and booked a 5 nighter on Brilliance.

From the moment my feet touched the deck, I changed my mind. Once more I could feel a ship under me, her motion, her machinery, her vitality. I was hooked. While leaving harbour from Tampa, I loved every moment. From assessing wind speed and direction, currents, potential hazards and more, it all came back. Later, after passing under the Sunshine Skyway and making her way to sea, Brilliance brought back so many lost memories.

Cruise ships will never bring me quite the same feelings as one of the grey ladies of the sea, after all they have a different intent and purpose. But they are close enough that this old sailor loves them dearly. I can close my eyes and reminisce, which is as close as I will ever get again.

Top reason: being on the ocean for a week or more.

Second reason: I am very organized, and a planner. I also do all the cooking at home. On a cruise, once I have preplanned, I have to make no decisions, wash no dishes, cook no meals, etc.  They do it all for me.  A land vacation typically is in a vacation rental, and there are beds to make, dishes to wash (from the meals eaten in), and beds to strip at the end. As much as I enjoy staying in vacation rentals, a cruise is the one vacation where I have absolutely no responsibilities to take care of once I get there. 

Third reason:  everything, including entertainment, is in one ‘place’.  We don’t even have to call an UBER to get back ‘home’ if we have a few drinks. 😁

For me I love the safety that it offers. I grew up in the cornfield. Everyone knew everyone's business. Greatest country in the world (NOTE: This is not a political statement, it is a gratitude statement.) We don't worry about the food, the water, etc. When you travel you have to be mindful of how different other places are. I can not tell you how many times I was told not to drink the water in Mexico as a child - who never went to Mexico. A cruise offers lots of cool "make it easy" features. 1) You can always eat/drink on the boat! 2) visit like three countries on one trip. The travel between ports is very enjoyable! 3) unpack once, still visit three countries.

For me is was a great way to introduce international travel to a lightweight. Now, I have been to Europe three times, two with a tour, once independent! Day bus trips to Canada, Three cruses later I have plenty of confidence in traveling. Cruising opened that door for me.

At this point in my life all my vacations are Geocaching vacations. I'm trying to make finds in all the countries!

1 hour ago, Ann613 said:

I have enjoyed reading these comments. Thank y’all. I am getting on a cruise ship for the first time this Monday and have been everywhere between apprehensive to totally panicked. My husband is the one who encouraged me to go for our 7-year anniversary. I now have some ideas to look forward to.

I'm sure that it will be the best vacation of your life or at least within the top 10%.  Just relax and enjoy!

2 hours ago, Ann613 said:

I have enjoyed reading these comments. Thank y’all. I am getting on a cruise ship for the first time this Monday and have been everywhere between apprehensive to totally panicked. My husband is the one who encouraged me to go for our 7-year anniversary. I now have some ideas to look forward to.

Once you cruise, nothing else will do! 🙂

It's a hotel that has unlimited food and lots of activities to do that randomly stops in different countries. 

I don't cruise to learn anything, I don't cruise to do stuff like read or browse Facebook that I can do at home for free.

I cruise to unplug, eat like a pig, hang out in a pool, and have a great time while someone else makes the bed all week.

On 6/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, Funeegal said:

We cruise because we get assistance with our special needs kids/teens.  We travel with Autism on the Seas (AOTS) and they provide volunteers to provide assistance with our kids so we can enjoy and have a vacation.  It can be difficult traveling with special needs guests and parents need a break, too!  Cruising gives us a chance to travel safely and be able to relax.  RCL staff is fantastic with our kiddos and it provides the kids with opportunities to see the world and experience things they may not have a chance to do.

If you ever see a bunch or orange shirts that say STAFF on the back, pop on over and say hi!  That is what we call TeamOrange and they are the amazing volunteers that help families.

AOTS doesn't just help those who have autism or are autistic.  They deal with all specials needs individuals needing assistance from age 3 to adult.

We are looking at a cruise in September/October on Oasis of the Seas. And we have a young son with autism, non-verbal. 
i saw a website describing the program, but i’m a little confused. 
do we book normally or through them?  Is it a lot more expensive?

any info would be so great!!  

16 hours ago, Gillian_WV said:

We are looking at a cruise in September/October on Oasis of the Seas. And we have a young son with autism, non-verbal. 
i saw a website describing the program, but i’m a little confused. 
do we book normally or through them?  Is it a lot more expensive?

any info would be so great!!  

I hope this is allowed since it references a travel agency.

Hi!  I am happy to help!  Autism of the Seas is technically a travel agency.  www.autismontheseas.com  On their website, they have a list of staffed cruises.  It is on these cruises that have their volunteer staff to assist your child and your family.  You can book directly with the cruise line and then go to the AOTS website and transfer your booking to them (within 30 days).  The price of the cruise is the same you would pay if you booked anywhere else PLUS a small per person in your immediate family fee that ranges depending on the ship, number of days, price of an interior cabin, etc.  That per person fee ranges from about $150-250.  If other friends or family books the same cruise with you AND they also book with AOTS, but do not need the volunteer services, there is no additional fee.

I am happy to assist with any questions you have!  Please message me and I will reply with more details.

We are off to a B2B Alaska trip with AOTS in July!

You can also use AOTS to help you on unstaffed cruises.  They help to arrange accommodations with RCL and their special needs department.