No more ala carte at Sabor

Wilson

Many have seen the new $15 Sabor sale in the cruise planner.

I see it too for our upcoming Harmony sailing, but it's still showing the ala carte menu??? I called Royal this evening to ask what we actually get for $15 since all Oasis class ships are ala carte at Sabor. They told me they are in the process of eliminating the the ala carte menu and it will be a cover charge only restaurant fleet wide. Remember...this is the "Rumor" thread and only time will tell if this is true.

Interesting - I noticed that for the Navigator group cruise it showed the menu yet listed the restaurant as Sabor Taqueria and has the a la carte pricing with the $15 option.

I'm not sure if they're making all of the Sabor offerings the same or not -but if this is the case, I can't even tell the direction in which they're going with it.  It's also of course possible that this is all a mistake on the part of the web team.

Assuming it's true, it makes sense to consolidate and have one kind of Sabor experience across the fleet. Not only does this make things simpler for guests, but more importantly, it streamlines RC's process of supporting the restaurant operations.

Matt, Could you possibly try to find out for us? I am going on Allure in July and on my cruise planner dining just opened up and I see the same thing that Wilson sees. It says the price is $15 but it also shows an al a carte menu. I would hate to pay $15 and pay al a carte. Let me know if you can find anything out!!

Matt, Could you possibly try to find out for us? I am going on Allure in July and on my cruise planner dining just opened up and I see the same thing that Wilson sees. It says the price is $15 but it also shows an al a carte menu. I would hate to pay $15 and pay al a carte. Let me know if you can find anything out!!

As soon as I know something concrete, I will report it on the blog.

Had lunch at Sabor yesterday and was disappointed. Very limited menu and no tableside guacamole prep. No queso fundido, which is my very favorite dish at Sabor. The manager did offer to try and replicate queso fundido for me if I came back but I don't know if I will do that. It was nice of him to offer though.

Can't remember what the price scheme was but I don't recall seeing individual prices on the menu.

I truly prefer the full dining room Sabor (on Nav and other ships) to the "cantina" Sabors on the O Class ships.

Will be interesting to see if it becomes a fixed cover charge fleet wide. Some of you know I liked the flat cover charge version on Liberty versus the ala carte version on Oasis class. The dining experience just seemed more inviting and the staff interacted with the patrons way more. That's no knock on the version they have on Oasis, but the Freedom and Voyager class version is so much better.

Dined Freedom of the Seas......Sabor does NOT merit being an "upcharge" restaurant....common food. They offer nothing of any value.

Them are fighting words around these boards. ;)

While I enjoyed Sabor, I probably wouldn't go back largely as we have exceptional Mexican food here in San Diego. I feel the same way about Izumi especially since the surcharge exceeds what I pay for sushi and the grill experience at home. However, I don't think I'm the customer Risk is targeting with these venues. I think they're trying to offer a dining experience that many don't have the opportunity to partake in at home.

I am just looking to book the current bogof offer for our July cruise on Navigator for £24.60 and I can see Sabor is showing the sample menu as a la carte pricing, but then downloading the menu shows the cover charge menu!

The price for Sabor only is £12.30 - which is great value for money as we are big fans of Sabor :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The a la carte pricing worked well for us as three of us were able to eat lunch for $21, much cheaper than what we would have paid with a flat cover charge.

I like the idea of being able to walk up to the bar and have a couple of margaritas (drink package) and some really good guac for just a couple bucks... I'd be sad if this option was taken away.

I like the idea of being able to walk up to the bar and have a couple of margaritas (drink package) and some really good guac for just a couple bucks... I'd be sad if this option was taken away.

I'm going to bet that this will still be an option even with the changes.

I'm going to bet that this will still be an option even with the changes.

I hope that's a thing that continues to grow with RCL... Like how Vintages has small tapas (cheese plates) or like chips and dip at Sabor. I love the idea of being able to go from venue to venue and snack rather than a big traditional cruise meal... each one has their place, but I'd love to see more of that style on board ships. 

Had lunch at Sabor yesterday and was disappointed. Very limited menu and no tableside guacamole prep. No queso fundido, which is my very favorite dish at Sabor. The manager did offer to try and replicate queso fundido for me if I came back but I don't know if I will do that. It was nice of him to offer though.

Can't remember what the price scheme was but I don't recall seeing individual prices on the menu.

I truly prefer the full dining room Sabor (on Nav and other ships) to the "cantina" Sabors on the O Class ships.

I've seen that little outdoor Sabor on Oasis when I've watched some of the tours online, I assume that's what you mean by "cantina"? I've wondered what the difference is??

I've seen that little outdoor Sabor on Oasis when I've watched some of the tours online, I assume that's what you mean by "cantina"? I've wondered what the difference is??

I know that on Freedom, Sabor is a very nice, quiet restaurant located next to the Schooner Bar.

On Oasis, it appears to be much more open and lively, kinda like a "cantina".  I can't wait to try it.

I hope that's a thing that continues to grow with RCL... Like how Vintages has small tapas (cheese plates) or like chips and dip at Sabor. I love the idea of being able to go from venue to venue and snack rather than a big traditional cruise meal... each one has their place, but I'd love to see more of that style on board ships. 

I could not agree with this more...

• 3 weeks later...

So I have an update to this after our Oasis cruise. Even though that little cantina bar in the center of the boardwalk says SABOR on its sign, it has absolutely no connection to the REAL Sabor. It was our very first stop on Embarkation day, and I asked if we could get the Sabor margaritas--but they just had the standard RC drink menus. I was satisfied with my LavaFlow, but I have no idea why they labeled it with a Sabor sign when it has no connection that I could tell. Maybe it did at one time, but it doesn't now.

Also, regarding the Ala Carte question--on Oasis it is still Ala Carte. There is no cover charge. Guac is $6, everything else is $5 or $10. We were pretty underwhelmed. The guac was pretty good, definitely the highlight of the meal. The rest was really underwhelming and we probably won't eat there again--maybe to stop and get margs and guac, but not a full lunch. I'll try Izumi instead next trip.

So I have an update to this after our Oasis cruise. Even though that little cantina bar in the center of the boardwalk says SABOR on its sign, it has absolutely no connection to the REAL Sabor. It was our very first stop on Embarkation day, and I asked if we could get the Sabor margaritas--but they just had the standard RC drink menus. I was satisfied with my LavaFlow, but I have no idea why they labeled it with a Sabor sign when it has no connection that I could tell. Maybe it did at one time, but it doesn't now.

Also, regarding the Ala Carte question--on Oasis it is still Ala Carte. There is no cover charge. Guac is $6, everything else is $5 or $10. We were pretty underwhelmed. The guac was pretty good, definitely the highlight of the meal. The rest was really underwhelming and we probably won't eat there again--maybe to stop and get margs and guac, but not a full lunch. I'll try Izumi instead next trip.

Thanks for the report, Hayley!

4379877.jpg

I HAVE to get my Sabor fix.  Seriously.

4379877.jpg

I HAVE to get my Sabor fix.  Seriously.

Oh don't worry, there is a REAL Sabor right next door (across from Johnny Rockets), but I just didn't understand that cantina thing that was also labeled Sabor--it was just a standard bar.

Speaking of Johnny Rockets, we did see a few kids eating off the JR menu while their parents dined at Sabor. I'm not sure if the two restaurants are normally close on other ships, but I thought it was pretty cool that they brought JR food over for the littles. Easy way to get around a kids menu.

We ate at Sabor on Harmony last week.  It was our first time with Sabor on any cruise.  It was ala carte despite reservations prior to the cruise asking for $15 / head (thank goodness I cancelled my reservation prior to the cruise).  We really did enjoy the guac, but were not very happy with anything else and thought the menu was very limited.  The kids wanted queso with chips and the waitress went over to Johnny Rocket's and brought back some of the orange nacho cheese and the kids loved that.  Except maybe for a snack of chips/quac/drink, I don't see us returning there in the future.