Capacity and best day at Coco Cay

My wife and I haven't been to Coco Cay since we were in our 20s back in 1992.  My wife and I are now 57 and prefer the more serene cruises, but we're planning a March 2023 family cruise with 2 married daughters, their hubbies (all 25-32 at sailing time) and our 14 y/o daughter. They all want an itinerary with Coco Cay. Wife and I are excited to go back after 31 years, but my fear is getting there are on day with 1-2 other ships.

I geeked out and mapped out all the itineraries for our youngest's Spring Break week, attached. It looks like there are some days with 3 ships in port at Coco Cay putting 10,000 - 12,000 people on the island, too many for my wife's and my preference. Are we right?

OTOH, the two 4-days cruises that week out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale (Liberty and Freedom) look like they are the only ones in port when at Coco Cay. Any thoughts on this or other advice on picking a truly Perfect Day by being the only ship in port?

Thanks. This is my first post, but we're loyal, semi-regular RCCL cruisers. Next cruise puts us in Diamond status.

CocoCay2023.png

I would think that means 11k.   We were there last month on Symphony.  Mariner was there the same day.  I talked to some Mariner passengers they said they had 3800 on their ship.  We had 5822.   You did not feel congested at all.  There were empty loungers  everywhere.  

Typically they have the ships arrive and depart at different times.  For example Mariner docked at 8 a.m., but departed at 3.  We rocked at 9 and departed at 4:30.  Most people will leave to get back to the ship about 1 HR prior.  For us that meant by 2:30 it was only Symphony passengers.  

I am 57 too.  I will caveat my post by saying we booked the day pass to the beach club on this cruise  so I can't say anything about the grill area for food.  If you don't want congestion and a feel of a private beach, splurge on the day pass.  Its not a 10 out of 10 its a 20 out of 10....you read that correctly.  Once you go there you will always buy it.  Everything there is amazing from the bathrooms where you get true hand towels to the loungers and lunch.  We got there and a front row lounger next to the beach.  The tanning ledge pool loungers were always available, only the beds at the pool were taken. The lunch is as close as you get to a specialty restaurant....you can order surf and turf.  You van order everything off their menu. Its too much food....they even gave us cookies to go bc i said i am too full.  The infinity pool was never packed. The solarium on the ship had more people. The beach was empty...again, 9k were on the island that day.  They have attendants to take your drink orders from your lounger just like beach beds and cabanas, however, if you do go to the bar you will get your drink in 2 minutes. No lines there at all.

The negative of the beach club is the snorkeling is bad.  You need to go over to Chill to snorkel.

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

I would think that means 11k.   We were there last month on Symphony.  Mariner was there the same day.  I talked to some Mariner passengers they said they had 3800 on their ship.  We had 5822.   You did not feel congested at all.  There were empty loungers  everywhere.  

Typically they have the ships arrive and depart at different times.  For example Mariner docked at 8 a.m., but departed at 3.  We rocked at 9 and departed at 4:30.  Most people will leave to get back to the ship about 1 HR prior.  For us that meant by 2:30 it was only Symphony passengers.  

I am 57 too.  I will caveat my post by saying we booked the day pass to the beach club on this cruise  so I can't say anything about the grill area for food.  If you don't want congestion and a feel of a private beach, splurge on the day pass.  Its not a 10 out of 10 its a 20 out of 10....you read that correctly.  Once you go there you will always buy it.  Everything there is amazing from the bathrooms where you get true hand towels to the loungers and lunch.  We got there and a front row lounger next to the beach.  The tanning ledge pool loungers were always available, only the beds at the pool were taken. The lunch is as close as you get to a specialty restaurant....you can order surf and turf.  You van order everything off their menu. Its too much food....they even gave us cookies to go bc i said i am too full.  The infinity pool was never packed. The solarium on the ship had more people. The beach was empty...again, 9k were on the island that day.  They have attendants to take your drink orders from your lounger just like beach beds and cabanas, however, if you do go to the bar you will get your drink in 2 minutes. No lines there at all.

The negative of the beach club is the snorkeling is bad.  You need to go over to Chill to snorkel.

This was so informative and reassuring. I’m going July 8 and we have the beach pass. Now I know we did the right thing lol

Coco Cay was designed to accommodate TWO Oasis class ships. There is only berth space for 2 ships at a time. Itineraries would be changed

if 3 were scheduled.  There is no tendering at Coco Cay. I would expect Liberty or Independence to switch their Nassau/Coco Cay port calls.

I would recommend researching what you would most like to do at PDCC and book early. You can reprice if pricing drops.

There is one day that two Oasis Class ships are there.  While some people may not feel like the island isn't feeling too congested, I wonder how many tickets are available to the Thrill Waterpark.  It wasn't too long ago that people, in this forum, were complaining that the Cruise Planner said that the Thrill Waterpark was "SOLD OUT".   So, if the Thrill Waterpark is important to you and your kids, I'd be a little concerned and maybe purchase the Water Park tickets ASAP.  

YMMV

@scottandholter Despite many questions about 3 ships scheduled at Coco Cay on the same day, I've yet to see anyone report that it has actually happened.  To the best of my knowledge, each case has fallen into one of the following categories:

1. At least one ship's itinerary was eventually changed to prevent this from happening.
  2. The information came from a non-Royal website that was not up to date on itinerary changes.
  3. Confusion due to Royal's website showing a generic itinerary for a type of cruise (ex: 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on XXX of the Seas) that is offered many weeks in a row but the fine print says "Order of ports varies by sailing date."

Forthat last category, unless you actually attempt to book the cruise, you could easily be assuming the wrong date that the ship would be visiting Coco Cay.

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

Costa Maya - but since then, I have heard of ships going both before my date and after my date.  That was one port I had really wanted to see.  It was replaced with Nassau, which I have been to. Oh well. It is still a cruise and a vacation for me. 

That really sucks.  I won't cruise on an itinerary that includes Nassau.  It's just a me thing.  I just don't care for the Bahamas (there is a reason for it but not to be discussed here).  I've been to Costa Maya but can't remember anything about it.  Good luck!  Hope you enjoy your cruise, regardless!