Serious glitches on Symphony

It's been an interesting first day for Symphony. We started a day late due to the storm, and the app was pretty much useless most of the day. I spoke with one of the IT leads, and the issue was the delay in sailing led to them not setting up any of the financial portfolios for the guests. Basically, the app didn't know any of us were paid guests. 

This forced everyone to line up at the box office to reserve any show that required advance registration. We got on the ship at 10:30, and the line already snaked out of the Attic and down the art gallery hallway. I've heard from folks that there were some who waited for hours in line. In fact, they came over the intercom around 3pm and said that they had cut off the line. 

The same issue caused shore excursion issues. No excursions could be bought or amended for most of the day. There was a line in the excursion area all day, and staff reported to making notes on pads of paper in hopes of entering in the changes once the system came back on line. 

In short, the day was full of long lines and upset guests. Customer service confirmed we have over 6,000 on this sailing, so it looks like full capacity didn't help anyone. Royal should know how to make things run more smoothly after a delay. I'm sure it's not their first one... 

I think Royal has outsourced app development and one of the downsides of outsourcing is the ability to be agile and make changes... without incurring more fees to the 3rd party.  I don't suspect there are too many occasions where a cruise starts on day 2.  The app hasn't been through many hurricane seasons since cruising was shut down for 18 months. 

The app was relatively new before the shutdown.  Along comes an event like this and the app wasn't designed to handle it, no one accounted for, or wanted to pay for, this.  It's probably on a "story" in the app development team's long list.   

Royal has some cool technology in their production shows but beyond that they aren't very tech savvy in the back office systems.