Taste of Royal Lunch?

I searched for this topic and find it interesting that nothing came up.  Anyway, has anyone tried Taste of Royal Lunch?  I'm considering it but my significant other is on the slightly picky side.  She is telling me to go and enjoy without her, but I don't want to do that.    

I did it on "Vision" last month and truthfully would not do it again. The pre-appetizer (Izumi) was just a piece of cooked shrimp over rice. The appetizer was a citrus tuna tartare (Wonderland) - decent. The next course was a crab meat and marscapone risotto (Giovanni's) that was way too cloying. The main (Chops) was a surf and turf: the filet was good but the grilled shrimp were freezer-burned. The dessert from 150 Central Park was "fried cheesecake" and wasn't good at all... the best part of the entire meal was the paired cocktail that went with it called a St. Peter's Spritzer.

I will be Allure in under 2 weeks.  I have signed up for Taste of Royal.  It was not my cup of tea but since most in my group, I figure I rather go than miss some time with my family.  We also will be doing the wine pairing for an extra $19.99.  I will let you know how it is. 

I did see this on the RC website about Taste of Royal:

• Substitutions are available in case of dietary preferences or allergens. Please inform the Restaurant Manager onboard the day before your reservation.

@FireFishII  yes please let me know I'm curious.  Judging by Riley's text above, I wonder if the smaller ships that don't have some of the restaurants (150 Central Park and Wonderland) are not cooking the food properly?  At least on Allure I think you have both of those.

34 minutes ago, Aron_Ross said:

@FireFishII  yes please let me know I'm curious.  Judging by Riley's text above, I wonder if the smaller ships that don't have some of the restaurants (150 Central Park and Wonderland) are not cooking the food properly?  At least on Allure I think you have both of those.

We had a lovely time at Taste or Royal on Serenade recently. It is seafood-heavy, so it’s not my favorite but my traveling companions enjoyed it a lot. And the fried cheesecake was excellent. 
So if you think the menu sounds good you should give it a try. I will say they were willing to give me a shrimp cocktail instead of the tartare, FYI. 

3 hours ago, Aron_Ross said:

I don't believe we have Wonderland on Allure.  I know that Allure does have 150 Central Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Taste of Royal on the Allure of the Seas was AMAZING! The signature cocktail (St. Germain Elderflower, Aperol, lemon juice, topped with prosecco) was decent but not to-die-for but I am a more savory than sweet drinker. When my husband and I do again, will probably get the wine pairings. Tuna tartar... marscapone risotto w/ crab, peas,and Parmigiano cheese...filet mignon and shrimp with green veggies and mashed potatoes....fried cheesecake with Nutella, whipped cream, and caramel corn.  Every dish was a treat! Delish!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just signed my family of 4 up for Taste of Royal lunch on upcoming Freedom cruise next month.  They were offering a "sale" price of $29/adult.  My husband wasn't thrilled with the sample menu, but I told him it would likely be different.  What you all described above is exactly what was on the sample menu, so is it safe to assume that it's what we'll get?  In that case, can I cancel?

4 hours ago, willijen25 said:

I just signed my family of 4 up for Taste of Royal lunch on upcoming Freedom cruise next month.  They were offering a "sale" price of $29/adult.  My husband wasn't thrilled with the sample menu, but I told him it would likely be different.  What you all described above is exactly what was on the sample menu, so is it safe to assume that it's what we'll get?  In that case, can I cancel?

Welcome to the boards! Yes, that sample menu is what is offered at the meal. You can always cancel your cruise planner purchases, up to 48 hours before sailing, no problem. Refund will go back to whatever form of payment you used.

• 2 weeks later...

Wh had the Taste of Royal lunch on Anthem last week, it was on the last sea day in Wonderland. No tickets delivered to the cabin, but a phone message the day before.

The menu was seafood-centered, and I had hoped for the World dessert, but it wasn’t. I have gluten intolerance, had informed them ahead of time, but still they did not have a substitute for the first course. And one of us is 17, and they did not offer the kid an alcohol free option for welcome drink, which was really surprising. 

Here’s the menu (photo) and a picture of my seafood-free risotto and main (sorry about the flipped pictures)

4D5DD937-D588-40A8-A7D1-265EBAC301B9.jpeg

C988B85F-214A-46F9-84A5-4A81A72569A1.jpeg

3D73844F-0F8D-4760-A4A2-6E53501E3B0D.jpeg

• 1 month later...

@Aron_Ross - sorry I never got back to you.  The food was good.  But I don't think it was anything special.  My family had too many restaurants picked out so it made the Taste of Royal almost meaningless.  If we were not doing any other specialty restaurant, then the Taste of Royal would have been a treat. Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, FireFishII said:

@Aron_Ross - sorry I never got back to you.  The food was good.  But I don't think it was anything special.  My family had too many restaurants picked out so it made the Taste of Royal almost meaningless.  If we were not doing any other specialty restaurant, then the Taste of Royal would have been a treat. Just my opinion. 

No worries thanks for the update!  Good to know and I probably won't be doing it on my next cruise.  We have 150 Central Park, Chops, Wonderland and lunch at Jaime's already picked out.  

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have read differing answers about a St. Peter's Spritzer refill during A Taste of Royal.  Perhaps this varies by ship?

Thanks for any info!

It may be the ship or possibly your server because we got free refills on Odyssey of the Seas last year. We enjoyed the meal but didn't have any other pay dining booked. I believe it was the same menu that we saw online prior to our cruise.