Parking

Will be headed out in July on Harmony. We've sailed from Port Evergladess previously  but been years since we left from Port Canaveral. Can I get some opinions on parking. Cost of parking at port vs off site. Price vs convenience. If off site, which is good and which to avoid. Wait time at off site to and from port. Thank you!

It's our first cruise, so I am anything but an expert - but I am a huge overthinker and overplanner. We're sailing on Harmony on 9/18 and decided, after much research, to park at GoPort (goport.com); $80 per car plus $5 per passenger. Shuttle service both ways. Many closer parking facilities wanted $17 per car per day, sometimes more. And hotels charge about the same thing if you're going to leave your car there, then charge you for the shuttle. I hope this helps a little.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, Zoragirl said:

Will be headed out in July on Harmony. We've sailed from Port Evergladess previously  but been years since we left from Port Canaveral. Can I get some opinions on parking. Cost of parking at port vs off site. Price vs convenience. If off site, which is good and which to avoid. Wait time at off site to and from port. Thank you!

Its been a few years since we cruised out of Canaveral.  However, we did stay at a Comfort Inns & Suites which was about as close as you can get to the port.  The cost of one night included parking for a 7 night cruise and free shuttle to the terminal for 4 people and return.  It was a great deal.  Might be worth looking into.  

Other than that, Google parking near Port of Canaveral.

In December we tried a different place as our prior one closed, it was Cruisetime Parking & Shuttle. It was about 1.5 miles from the port & was about $9 / day. It was a fenced grassy lot. You'll self-park and keep your keys. The shuttle service was quick and efficient on both arrival and departure. Will use them again this fall.

I'm in a similar situation. We're also cruising on Harmony in July. Initially, I was thinking we'd use RC's garage, but I saw a YouTube video showing how jam packed it was now that ships are sailing with much higher capacity. There are two other RC ships also going out of Port Canaveral at this time, so three ships worth of passengers means a lot fewer spaces. I decided I don't want the stress of hunting for a spot in the garage on embarkation day.

We're spending the night before the cruise at the Country Inn & Suites, which offers a package for parking for the length of our cruise and shuttle service. It was cheaper for me to book the hotel room sans package via Travelocity and then they said I can add on the shuttle/parking portion a few days before embarkation. Cost for the add on is $65 + tax. The reviews seem to be really good, so this is now my plan. If for some reason we can't get a good shuttle time slot, the backup to the backup plan is to get an Uber or Lyft and still pay the hotel fee to cover the parking aspect. Not sure what day in July you're sailing, but for our date... if I'm reading the port schedule correctly, the only other ship leaving Port Canaveral that day is the MSC Divina. So, not as many cruisers needing shuttle service. 

Was a firm believer in off site parking but our Harmony cruise in March out of PC, I bit the bullet & parked in the terminal garage.  OMG it was about $45 more than off site but soooooooo convenient!  Pulled in about 10:40 & were all checked in & in the waiting area 15 minutes later.  Off the ship @ 9am & on the highway by 9:15.  Worth every penny.

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Was a firm believer in off site parking but our Harmony cruise in March out of PC, I bit the bullet & parked in the terminal garage.  OMG it was about $45 more than off site but soooooooo convenient!  Pulled in about 10:40 & were all checked in & in the waiting area 15 minutes later.  Off the ship @ 9am & on the highway by 9:15.  Worth every penny.

Total agreement, as long as the Garage is actually part of the terminal.  Apparently, the new Galveston Royal terminal won't have it's own garage.  Regardless of where you park, it's gonna take getting into a Shuttle, unless you walk or take an Uber.  Back when we cruised out of PC, it was the old terminal and no garage, even the surface lots were a bit of a distance from the terminal, as I remember it and the Hotel Deal was just too good to pass up.   

18 hours ago, Pooch said:

Did you have any troubles finding spots? My original plan was to skip the hotel's package and just use RC's garage at PC, but I saw a video from a few weeks ago where it was full. The poster said they were diverted to an open air overflow lot and other commenters noted driving around the garage hunting for spaces. They blamed it on cruises sailing at higher capacity and multiple RC ships going out of PC. My fear is that what was good with this garage several months ago may no longer be the case. 

We used the RCL terminal garage in May and parking was tight.  We ended up parking on top deck right next to elevator.  Couldn't have been easier, but if the garage is pretty full in May, I would imagine it will be completely full in season.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:28 PM, Chickie95 said:

Did you have any troubles finding spots?

Our Thanksgiving sailing we had to park in an overflow surface lot even arriving at 10am. It was right next to the terminal entrance and just as easy as parking in the garage, no stairs or elevator needed. Every other time I have found parking in the garage when driving in early.

I was dropped off my last cruise out of PC and around 12:30pm the garage was already full and they were using the adjacent surface lots. They still have you pull through the garage to drop off luggage first and then you have to circle around to park. This was when they had Mariner, Independence and Harmony all parking in the same garage. They have since moved Mariner to using another terminal and garage so they should help alleviate the crowding.

On 6/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, Pooch said:

Completely agree with the garage! We've sailed a few times from Port Canaveral and used the garage each time. Even when we had my disabled father with us, we dropped him off with the luggage and then parked while he sat on his walker by the door. We were checked in within 30 minutes of arriving (including dropping dad & bags and parking). 

13 hours ago, Marathon Man said:

Sailing on Harmony 9/21.  Can I drop off the luggage and the wife at the terminal and then go to parking?  I don't want to assume anything.  Thank you.

Yup. As a matter of fact you can't even directly pull into the parking garage before circling around to the luggage drop off. Even when I said I didn't have any luggage to drop off they made me circle around and come into the garage ramp from the luggage drop off side. 🙄

11 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yup. As a matter of fact you can't even directly pull into the parking garage before circling around to the luggage drop off. Even when I said I didn't have any luggage to drop off they made me circle around and come into the garage ramp from the luggage drop off side. 🙄

That's odd, I go straight up the ramp all the time and take my luggage down the elevator with me.  I don't typically drop off my suitcase, it goes through x-ray and onto the ship with me.    

Parking in a garage that is very very close to the terminal, especially the older terminals CAN be a little tricky as far as available parking space in the garage.  I'm not saying you should or should not book the first available "boarding time", however, if you think about it, if you are scheduled for the 10:30 AM boarding time, chances are that the off going passengers are still getting off the ship and haven't left the garage, yet.  So, if you book a later boarding time, chances are the off going passengers have left the garage and opened up a lot of more desirable parking locations/availability.  I personally prefer to park on the top level.  Being a retired Airport and Cruise Port Parking General Manager, I know that a parking garage is nothing more than a vertical parking lot.  It is not intended on protecting your car from the elements, any elements and you have no recourse if the unexpected happens.  Read your parking ticket, it's your contract.  So, just a couple examples, if the car parked on a level above you has it's radiator leak/explode and the coolant drips all over your car and ruins the paint, you and your insurance company are stuck with it.  I've seen it happen all too often and I've seen people blame the garage for it.  Weather - a strong storm goes through and your car is damaged by hail (blowing from the side) or flying debris, so sorry Charlie.  But, I parked in your covered garage!  Read your ticket, it's your contract!      I can say things like that now.  But, as the parking manager and know how to use diplomatic language, I actually didn't say things like, "So sorry Charlie".

A side note, theft, your car and/or its contents aren't the responsibility of the Parking Company or the governmental entity providing the service.  That's what insurance is for.  If the parking company or governmental agency says that they provide security, that is for show/deterrent only.  It is not a guarantee of security.