My Time Dining Reservation Question

Ann613

3 hours ago, Ann613 said:

I have heard and read that it’s possible to reserve My Time Dining before getting on the ship. Is this true? If so, how do we get our reservation?

If you go into the Cruise Planner under dining, My Time should be available at the bottom to select. You will pick your day/time and checkout with a $0 charge. You have to do this for each day.

Hubby always books our My Time Dining ahead of the cruise, it's great.  Once we get onboard the ship and have our lunch we go down to the main dining room to make sure they have my food allergies on file(they are great about that for me) and we double check they have our time for My Time Dining, it's become part of our routine and it works out great for us.

Wow.  Seems like no two cruisers have the same experiences..

When I sign up by phone for the cruise, I tell them I want 5:30 dining, and it's done!

And there is no each day stuff for me.  They've never asked me which day or days.

17 hours ago, WAYNO said:

Wow.  Seems like no two cruisers have the same experiences..

When I sign up by phone for the cruise, I tell them I want 5:30 dining, and it's done!

And there is no each day stuff for me.  They've never asked me which day or days.

That sounds like you are asking for Traditional Dining at 5:30 (the early dinner time).  This post is asking about My Time Dining where you can reserve different times for each dinner or just show up and take next available table.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, Atlantix2000 said:

That sounds like you are asking for Traditional Dining at 5:30 (the early dinner time).  This post is asking about My Time Dining where you can reserve different times for each dinner or just show up and take next available table.

And that's part of the confusion.  MTD and Traditional dining are treated one and the same when I talk with cruise agents at Royal.  In fact, the agent will say, you are confirmed for My Time Dining at 5:30.

Even in the dining room, my experience is they treat Traditional Dining and MTD, one and the same.  And when I ask the difference, they say there is no difference.  Schedule a time, be there at that time, and you're seated.  Or show up at a different time, and you're still seated, but not at your assigned table.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, WAYNO said:

And that's part of the confusion.  MTD and Traditional dining are treated one and the same when I talk with cruise agents at Royal.  In fact, the agent will say, you are scheduled for My Time Dining at 5:30.

Even in the dining room, my experience is they treat Traditional Dining and MTD, one and the same.  And when I ask the difference, they say there is no difference.  Schedule a time, be there at that time, and you're seated.  Or show up at a different time, and you're still seated.

On our recent Athem cruise we were my time dining and booked using the app on the days we ate in the MDR. We found it really frustrating that the line of people who didn't have a booking was often checked in and seated ahead of those who'd booked, felt like booking was kind of pointless. Don't remember it being like that on previous cruises.

15 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

On our recent Athem cruise we were my time dining and booked using the app on the days we ate in the MDR. We found it really frustrating that the line of people who didn't have a booking was often checked in and seated ahead of those who'd booked, felt like booking was kind of pointless. Don't remember it being like that on previous cruises.

I didn’t know that I could book it prior to getting on the ship until  reading this post a couple of days ago , so I booked. So bummed that the only seating times were all after 8:15. Maybe if I go earlier and wait there’s hope? But then I’ll be one of those annoying people you speak of lol! 

Regardless of what a RCCL phone agent tells you, 5:30 is traditional dining.  You don’t have to make any further reservations because that locks you into 5:30 dining each night.  You can also get late traditional dining at 8:00 each night.  As neither of those options work for me, I have my TA set up My Time Dining.  I then go into my cruise planner and select 6:30ish for every night.  I show up and am seated at the same table within 10 minutes of arrival. I could also select a different time for every night if I choose.  You cannot do that with traditional dining, if you miss your 5:30 time slot, you go to the back of the line behind people with NO reservations and can face a lengthy wait for a table.

My question is if I do reservations now and we get on the cruise and find that there is entertainment going on at the time we reserved...can we go to dinner earlier and just wait for a table? Will we get in trouble for not going to our reservation? 

55 minutes ago, Dixie S said:

My question is if I do reservations now and we get on the cruise and find that there is entertainment going on at the time we reserved...can we go to dinner earlier and just wait for a table? Will we get in trouble for not going to our reservation? 

You can just change or cancel your reservation. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:46 PM, DixieS said:

Nope! we have, on several occasions forgotten to cancel our reservations on nights we're either too busy or too tired to go for a sit-down dinner.

I think they have a small grace period then, if you don't show up, they just put someone else there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, AshleyDillo said:

If you go into the Cruise Planner under dining, My Time should be available at the bottom to select. You will pick your day/time and checkout with a $0 charge. You have to do this for each day.

Ashley is correct. However, if you booked with a travel agent and requested a seating in the main dining room, you will not be able to book the MTD. This happened to me, and it was an easy fix. I emailed my TA and had her cancel my main dining room reservation. Went back into the cruise planner under dining and booked a 6:30 pm reservation for every night of the cruise. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 12:28 PM, Mike.s said:

On previous sailings there were 2 separate lines for My Time seating.  One for those with reservations and another for those without reservations.  People without reservations in the "with" line were redirected to the "without" line.

I hope that hasn't changed with the restart.

16 hours ago, Toby said:

On previous sailings there were 2 separate lines for My Time seating.  One for those with reservations and another for those without reservations.  People without reservations in the "with" line were redirected to the "without" line.

I hope that hasn't changed with the restart.

No still 2 lines, but there was no priority given to those who had a reservation, so couldn't see the point in booking. Just turn up when you feel like it.

Not our experience.  The reserved one that we were in moved very quickly once the dining room opened.  In the other line, people were being checked in but not seated.  My guess (as we went right in) was they were being held back until the reservations were seated.