Fanny Pack?

I've always hated having to carry around a purse while I'm traveling but I can't get by with just pockets (and sometimes there aren't any pockets anyway). I'm considering a fanny pack but haven't used one since I was a teenager. Opinions? Other suggestions for something small that I don't have to *carry*?

1 hour ago, GatorCruiser said:

Ok now to give you a serious suggestion , have you looked at kavu  bag https://kavu.com/collections/belt-bags or Patagonia has an across the chest bag 

https://kavu.com/collections/rope-collection

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/luggage-messenger-bags

Thanks! I actually ended up getting some crossbody pouches which will work better than fanny packs. Appreciate the links. 🙂

12 hours ago, jabberwk said:

I've always hated having to carry around a purse while I'm traveling but I can't get by with just pockets (and sometimes there aren't any pockets anyway). I'm considering a fanny pack but haven't used one since I was a teenager. Opinions? Other suggestions for something small that I don't have to *carry*?

If you wear a fanny pack in port with valuables, I'd suggest sliding it in front for security.  

3 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

If you wear a fanny pack in port with valuables, I'd suggest sliding it in front for security.  

Even in front it can be picked…if ever stopped by someone your hand should go directly onto your Fanny pouch.  There are people who train in the art of distraction to get at the contents of all sorts of bags. 

I remember once when I was in Rome I was wearing a cross-body purse.  At some point I realized that the strap was no longer attached to the purse where the hook/clasp was.  I reattached it and it occurred to me that I had, most likely, just averted a purse snatching.  I guess the perp must have been a rookie or I just got very lucky.  You just can’t be too careful these days !

In port in France I went down a side street looking for crepes. Got 2 blocks and there on the street corner, piled high…contents of luggage and purses with the emptied luggage and bags laying nearby.  I wish I took a picture.  So many think they are safe, but the ports and tourist areas are a thief’s bread and butter.  Most of the time no one has time to make police reports, so crime numbers are not high!

I've been pro fanny pack since our trip to Universal in 2019

Bags are typically not allowed on the rides but three pronged fanny packs were so it saved us from having to stuff our stuff in a locker.

I bring it now for port days where I can keep our important stuff and leave the backpack for towels, waters, etc. 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, jabberwk said:

I like use a sling bag. so I don't look too much like a child of the 80s hehe. Here is what I use while cruising. 

We bring something like this. It’s super lightweight and folds down for space in luggage. I always get mine for less than $10 so I’m not super concerned about it lasting. My current one has lasted for a cruise and about 7-ish day trips places. I love them. I don’t put anything valuable in the outer pockets so if they try to pickpocket me, they get only things like tissue or sunscreen.

B5D269D5-0103-4BA9-8182-FE4BAF1BA12F.jpeg