Do you guys do anything different or pack anything interesting for a holiday cruise, whether it be for Xmas, New Years, Halloween, etc.?

Let me know!  I plan on doing a xmas cruise at the end of this year myself. I imagine there will be more kids on this cruise. Maybe i'll hide some xmas treats/toys throughout the cruise for kids to find.  I just joined one of those hide a duck cruising groups on facebook, so thought that would be cute. 

18 minutes ago, D Alt said:

Do you guys do anything different or pack anything interesting for a holiday cruise, whether it be for Xmas, New Years, Halloween, etc.?

Let me know!  I plan on doing a xmas cruise at the end of this year myself. I imagine there will be more kids on this cruise. Maybe i'll hide some xmas treats/toys throughout the cruise for kids to find. 

I'm kinda a Grinch when it comes to holidays, especially those that have turned into commercial events.  However, on my last Symphony Cruise with 13 others in our Family Villa, my son-in-law and daughter brought Christmas decorations, including LED lights, lots of them (my magnetic hooks came in very handy and I didn't know I was going to need them for that use).  It did make things a little more festive and feel the season a little better.  The ship did Christmas, actually I should say, "season appropriate" decorations but they didn't overdue it.  

Too bad this was in July <just kidding>.  

EDITED IN:  Forgot to mention, the extension cord that they supplied for my CPAP, that I didn't need, came in handy for the light usage.

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

I'm kinda a Grinch when it comes to holidays, especially those that have turned into commercial events.  However, on my last Symphony Cruise with 13 others in our Family Villa, my son-in-law and daughter brought Christmas decorations, including LED lights, lots of them (my magnetic hooks came in very handy and I didn't know I was going to need them for that use).  It did make things a little more festive and feel the season a little better.  The ship did Christmas, actually I should say, "season appropriate" decorations but they didn't overdue it.  

Too bad this was in July <just kidding>.  

bringing string lights is a great idea to decorate my door and my room.  thanks!

I went on the Anthem of the Seas Holiday cruise this past Christmas solo.  There were a lot of families which made it fun.  Christmas morning they had a visit with Santa in Two70 for the kids.  The majority of the families were all wearing matching Xmas pj's on Xmas morning.  I think they did caroling but I missed it.  I did decorate my cabin & cabin door.  Also wore my reindeer antlers and slippers.  Xmas eve they had a special show in the theater which was really good..  I really had a great time and would do it again.

20211224_194644810_iOS.jpg

20211224_205204049_iOS.jpg

20211224_212057308_iOS.jpg

20211224_212214278_iOS.jpg

For our Christmas cruise we took battery operated small LED light that we put on the door with magnetic hooks with a Christmas tree. For Thanksgiving we decorated the door with turkeys and for Halloween I walked around all day with a T-Rex head on (with a long flexible straw for the dino drinks) and the ship had a costume party that night where many guests really went all out in the costume department.

Personally we love Holiday Cruises, Xmas and Thanksgiving only because of our unique situation both weeks generally only cost 2 vacation days total.

Well we "love" everything except the COST and extra Lots of Kids (ours are now grown).

We also like to do the "Ducks", but again unique in that we "hide" them somewhere where we can sit close by and see them, then marvel for somtimes more than an hour at everyone that walks past when they are looking right at them and just don't notice.

14 hours ago, D Alt said:

Let me know!  I plan on doing a xmas cruise at the end of this year myself. I imagine there will be more kids on this cruise. Maybe i'll hide some xmas treats/toys throughout the cruise for kids to find.  I just joined one of those hide a duck cruising groups on facebook, so thought that would be cute. 

Pre-Covid, when we took Christmas cruises, Royal gave each guest under 18 a gift from Santa. While we enjoyed the cruises, it just wasn't the same thing as being at home and going to a Christmas Eve service.  if you aren't concerned about missing church, it can be a lot of fun.  The Royal Singers helped with Christmas carols, etc.  What we did as a family was buy each other one cheesy gift from the ship shops - our "good presents" were opened early at home.  Have a great cruise!

15 hours ago, MaryS said:

Xmas eve they had a special show in the theater which was really good..  I really had a great time and would do it again.

I really liked that Christmas show! I thought it would be a cheesy quickie thing, but it was a great production! The singers and dancers from We Will Rock You and Spectra’s, along with the Royal Orchestra did a wonderful job. The costumes, sets, songs and choreography were fantastic! Kudos to the production staff that apparently put a lot of time and effort into that show!

Thanks all for the input!

I realized that Xmas falls on the last night of the cruise.  Hopefully all the last minute craziness of the last night doesn't affect the holiday spirit. 

Do they do special holiday meals in MDR or specialty restaurants? 

12 hours ago, D Alt said:

Do they do special holiday meals in MDR or specialty restaurants? 

Not sure about the MDR but some of the specialty restaurants offer a holiday menu for an additional charge over and above the dining plan. This past Christmas we ate in Chops Christmas Day. Because we were star class there was no up charge for us but our non star class friends who had the unlimited dining plan were charged $100 pp. I thought that was expensive since the menu didn’t offer any new “holiday” offerings from the other nights we ate there.  

I very much appreciate folks dressing up and/or decorating for the Holidays.  And I'm envious of folks who can share the Holidays with children. 

The closest we were to cruising during the Holidays... It was the week after Thanksgiving, and the last few days of the cruise they were doing the Holiday transition/decorating on the boat.  I wished I could have stayed aboard for the next cruise.

I love Christmas.😍