Virgin Voyages giving away 1,000 cruises

JasonOasis

Virgin Voyages yesterday announced they are giving away 1,000 free cruises.  Winners can bring 1 guest with them and will receive a balcony stateroom and can depart from either Miami or Barcelona the sweepstakes ends on June 29th.  However there is a catch if you are a winner you must claim and use your free cruise between July and October of this year.

This isn't the first time Virgin Voyages has given away 1,000 free cruises they ran a similar sweepstakes last year, but The Points Guy article perhaps gives us clue as to way Virgin is once again running this sweepstakes.  Back in April at the annual cruise industry conference when major lines like Royal, NCL, Carnival and others were announcing strong booking throughout 2022 and 2023 with some cruise lines reporting they were seeing future bookings stronger than what they were seeing in 2019, Virgin Voyages quietly announced their 2022 future booking have been soft.  

Virgins first 1,000 free cruise give away in2021 was in part due to soft future bookings and they wanted to expose cruisers to their brand.  Reviews online for them have been mixed with many saying the food is outstanding but the staterooms are a huge disappointment among other things and now Virgin is once again giving away 1,000 cruises to drum up support for their brand.  Why is Virgin Voyages still having problems attracting customers and how do they fix it to build brand loyalty?  Is being an all adult ship working against them by alienating families traveling with children?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin-free-cruise-giveaway/

Virgin is in a very competitive space in the cruise industry already and their target market, millennials like myself, need to persuaded that the price they pay is worth the vacation.  Appealing to that type of market requires a very heaving marketing presence. 

Also, millennials who are in a position to drop a couple grand on a vacation often have job positions that make it difficult to find a week off that doesn't leave them drowned in work once the vacation is over.  Baby boomers, on the other hand, have more flexibility and can go on several cruises in a year with one of the major cruise lines.  Having a larger population in this age range in the Florida area also makes the trip more manageable since a flight to the cruise terminal may not be required, especially with the rising costs of flights nowadays.

Besides the food, I don't see how Virgin Voyages has positioned itself leaps and bounds above other the major cruise lines.  There biggest differentiator is that it is 18+.  I still put my name in the drawing because a free cruise is a free cruise, but at this point I would much rather book a cruise with RC or Celebrity over Virgin.

• 1 year later...