Double points for Solo traveller in a double occupancy room?

I know I'm 5 years too late asking this question, but I got curious, so thought I might as well ask, I sailed on Ovation back in 2017, and booked an Interior room with a virtual balcony - which according to Royal Caribbean's website, has an occupancy of up to 4 people, but I was a solo cruiser, when I got back I had 14 CAS points (which is the number of nights I sailed) but recently, I've been seeing/hearing that you apparently you get double points if you travel solo in a double occupancy room (which I'm assuming an interior with virtual balcony is) or am I wrong.

Thanks for any and all clarification.

20 minutes ago, Jamesszy94 said:

I know I'm 5 years too late asking this question, but I got curious, so thought I might as well ask, I sailed on Ovation back in 2017, and booked an Interior room with a virtual balcony - which according to Royal Caribbean's website, has an occupancy of up to 4 people, but I was a solo cruiser, when I got back I had 14 CAS points (which is the number of nights I sailed) but recently, I've been seeing/hearing that you apparently you get double points if you travel solo in a double occupancy room (which I'm assuming an interior with virtual balcony is) or am I wrong.

I don't know much/anything about cruising on Royal as a solo and how the points work.  However, I'm guessing it really boils down to how much you pay for the cabin.  I do know that Royal offers, on some ships, in some cabins, solo based pricing.  So, first I'd find out if I payed the full double occupancy rate or did I pay the solo rate.  If you paid the solo rate, your SOL.  Just my .02 cents worth!

10 minutes ago, Jamesszy94 said:

Digging through my emails - I found out this was what I paid, Not sure what any of these mean... 😛

fares ovation.png

I can't say for sure either.  BUT, based upon the fact that you say it was a 14 day cruise, you paid in total $2490.26 which is about $178.00 a day/night.  To me, that sounds like a solo rate.  Again, as stated, call the C and A to find out for for sure.  

35 minutes ago, Jamesszy94 said:

So, I sail solo quite a bit and yes you get double points, in your case you did for that 2017. It is 1point per night, so a 7-night sailing would get you 7points. But you sailed solo, so you got 2pt per night hence the 14 C&A points........unless your cruise was 14nights.

There are solo rooms that will not net you double points. But they only have few per ship.

11 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

So, I sail solo quite a bit and yes you get double points, in your case you did for that 2017. It is 1point per night, so a 7-night sailing would get you 7points. But you sailed solo, so you got 2pt per night hence the 14 C&A points........unless your cruise was 14nights.

There are solo rooms that will not net you double points. But they only have few per ship.

Yep, he said he got one point for each night he sailed, 14.  

C& A was able to add the points my DH & I earned back in 1988, from our honeymoon cruise -- as long as we could give them documentation. As it happened, I had our receipts (or whatever it was we had that let us on the ship) saved in our honeymoon photo album -- back when you took pics & saved the actual prints like that 🤣🤣🤣

I see a reduced single discount on that invoice.  Ovation does have studio interior cabins that do not hold 4 guests rather just one guest.  Does your invoice display the cabin category?  Usually a code like 2V, 4V, 2W, etc.  sometimes with the cabin number.

Studio cabins do not yield an extra point for solo.

I travel solo 80% of the time.  When I book a regular cabin I get double points because I am paying for two people.  When I book a cabin for a solo person "Category 2F - Studio Ocean View Balcony Stateroom" I get 1 point because I am only paying for one person.  I have had a cruise that I booked for 2 people and my son did not go on the cruise and I ended up getting double the points and his taxes and port fees refunded.  Crown and Anchor can fix any of them that are not correct they just need a booking number to look up the cruise.  On one of my very old cruises I did not have a booking number and they told me to give them a picture of me on the ship and they would give me credit.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I see a reduced single discount on that invoice.  Ovation does have studio interior cabins that do not hold 4 guests rather just one guest.  Does your invoice display the cabin category?  Usually a code like 2V, 4V, 2W, etc.  sometimes with the cabin number.

Studio cabins do not yield an extra point for solo.

Screenshot_20220603-065454_Drive.jpg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

7517 has been recategorized to a 4U, interior with virtual balcony.  It is not a studio cabin.

If you booked it as a single guest you should get double C&A points.  It wouldn't hurt to contact C&A and have them review it.  

Yep, I've already emailed them and asked. 

14 minutes ago, Jamesszy94 said:

Update: 1 week later and still no reply from C&AS 😞

If you were in North America I'd suggest calling CAS.  Email responses leave a lot to be desired as I suspect the inox probably has thousands of emails weekly from complaints unrelated to the CAS to address changes to normal points inquiries.   Do you have access to any VoIP service that allows access to North America toll free numbers?

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you were in North America I'd suggest calling CAS.  Email responses leave a lot to be desired as I suspect the inox probably has thousands of emails weekly from complaints unrelated to the CAS to address changes to normal points inquiries.   Do you have access to any VoIP service that allows access to North America toll free numbers?

No, calling an  American number from Australia would cost more than a drink package. 

• 1 year later...

Update: 2 years later and still no reply from Royal...

Maybe I should call the CAS society and have it cleared up..

Update: I called the crown and anchor number... they said I had to email them, what exactly is the point of the number existing then if they can't help me over the phone. I told  the operator that I emailed them 2 years ago and never got a reply but he said I'd definitely get a reply this time...

5 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

There is a line for it, but with $0 discount. 

My husband calls overseas with a free Google number - can you get one of those in Australia?

It's okay, I called them up... the operator was a bit passive aggressive and it seemed like he didn't want to help me. I explained the problem to him and he said It would be better if I emailed them, I told him I emailed them 2 years ago and never got a reply, and then I asked him, what if they don't reply to me this time, and he seemed pretty confident like they would and was like "They will definitely reply to you this time"

What exactly is the point of the CAS number existing if they can't help me over the phone..

The number I called is 1800754500 which is the number that's on their website.

3 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

There is a line for it, but with $0 discount. 

My husband calls overseas with a free Google number - can you get one of those in Australia?

Yeah, I'm wondering if that line has to do with anything.. it would make sense I didn't get double points if there was actually a discount under the ReducedSingles line... but it's $0 which logic would dictate meant that there was no discount... 😛

9 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

It's okay, I called them up... the operator was a bit passive aggressive and it seemed like he didn't want to help me. I explained the problem to him and he said It would be better if I emailed them, I told him I emailed them 2 years ago and never got a reply, and then I asked him, what if they don't reply to me this time, and he seemed pretty confident like they would and was like "They will definitely reply to you this time"

What exactly is the point of the CAS number existing if they can't help me over the phone..

The number I called is 1800754500 which is the number that's on their website.

That is not the phone number for Crown and Anchor.  it is the phone number for sales and reservations in Australia.  The reason they are telling you to email them is because the person you reached is not part of the CAS team and they can't perform CAS related tasks.  

In North America the toll free number for Crown and Anchor is 1 ‭(800) 526-9723 or ‭1 (541) 285-9723‬ as a long distance call‬.   The second number can be reached globally but would be charged as a long distance call.  The concept of using a provider like Google voice is to be able to call North American toll free numbers from foreign countries such as the UK or Australia.  If you can find a method to call CAS directly during North American daylight hours your issue could be dealt with immediately.  Yes it sucks that the CAS department doesn't provide in country phone numbers around the world but it is what it is.

9 hours ago, Jamesszy94 said:

Yeah, I'm wondering if that line has to do with anything.. it would make sense I didn't get double points if there was actually a discount under the ReducedSingles line... but it's $0 which logic would dictate meant that there was no discount... 😛

The amount doesn't matter, the presence of the line on the invoice is all that matters.  If that line item is present with any amount including zero then it shows the fare was booked on a solo basis.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

That is not the phone number for Crown and Anchor.  it is the phone number for sales and reservations in Australia.  The reason they are telling you to email them is because the person you reached is not part of the CAS team and they can't perform CAS related tasks.  

In North America the toll free number for Crown and Anchor is 1 ‭(800) 526-9723 or ‭1 (541) 285-9723‬ as a long distance call‬.   The second number can be reached globally but would be charged as a long distance call.  The concept of using a provider like Google voice is to be able to call North American toll free numbers from foreign countries such as the UK or Australia.  If you can find a method to call CAS directly during North American daylight hours your issue could be dealt with immediately.  Yes it sucks that the CAS department doesn't provide in country phone numbers around the world but it is what it is.

Well, that's the number that's listed on the Australian website under the Crown and Anchor society page...I've emailed them now though, so will just wait for a reply. 

image.thumb.png.590f3e0ce86b1e170df0f24cd8d9f650.png

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

The amount doesn't matter, the presence of the line on the invoice is all that matters.  If that line item is present with any amount including zero then it shows the fare was booked on a solo basis.  

Hmm, I guess that makes sense, I'll see what they reply with on the email (hopefully they do) and will keep you updated.