tag holders and lanyards

I used a lanyard on my first cruise last January, and I found it to be very convenient -- some of my dresses/skirts have no pockets, and having my card "always with me" was great.  I wear my work ID on a lanyard, though, so I'm used to it -- YMMV.

Luggage tag holders, same sort of thing . . . they aren't *necessary*, but it sure was nice knowing the tags weren't going to come off or smear if it rained (I have an inkjet printer at home). 

There seem to be two types of cruisers, lanyard people like me, and "pocket people".  So it is really a matter of preference.  Now what I do some of the time is wear the lanyard and stuff the card in my shirt pocket...There is also a phone-sized lanyard that is great for going to the pool or beach, and you can stuff valuables in it instead of your phone.  For some, lanyard hunting is kind of a sport when cruising.  I will tell you this: Some holders are soft plastic and tear easily, so I recycle old conference name tag holders that are hard plastic.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

Many cruisers swear by the luggage tag holders.  We haven't yet ordered them, but it is a bit tedious wrapping paper tags with clear tape!

Lanyards or other card holders are a matter of personal preference. I'm not a fan - prefer to keep SeaPass in a pocket. My wife puts it inside the wristlet that she carries.

As for luggage tag holders, I definitely recommend them. You're much less likely to have a tag come off the bag and there's no risk of having your handles get sticky.

I am always team lanyard - just makes it easy to find and keep track of even if you stick it in a pocket or belt loop.

That said, the newer ships/cards have chips in them making it impossible to get it hole punched. So if you get a lanyard it's a good idea to get one with a plastic sleeve that you can slide the card in.

As for luggage tags - YES. Do it! Not only do the stop the tags from getting beat up while in transit, they also make it easier to attach to non-traditional bags/luggage.

we got these: https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Seal-Steel/

26 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I am always team lanyard - just makes it easy to find and keep track of even if you stick it in a pocket or belt loop.

That said, the newer ships/cards have chips in them making it impossible to get it hole punched. So if you get a lanyard it's a good idea to get one with a plastic sleeve that you can slide the card in.

As for luggage tags - YES. Do it! Not only do the stop the tags from getting beat up while in transit, they also make it easier to attach to non-traditional bags/luggage.

we got these: https://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holder-Seal-Steel/

I also attach luggage tags to our hand carries in case they either get separated or we decide at the last minute to check them.

I wear a work ID on a retractable clip but on the ship I only bring out the card for getting in the room or ordering drinks. I wear gym shorts with pockets so not a problem for me. The wife on the other hand is team laynard and has her favorite that is packed first thing in her backpack.

The luggage tags we purchased several years ago, two sizes for each of the various cruise lines. After first use we will not leave home without them. The steel cable keeps it from ripping off and we remove and pack them in the return luggage as soon as we get in the room. Have passed them around for our kids and grandkids cruises and have never had an issue. If you cruise more than once a year they are nice and in our book a necessity.

11 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

Bummer!  I liked punching a hole and using a lanyard. It was still easy to swipe it without taking it out of a holder or sleeve. 

The new cards that can't be punched you don't have to slide. You tap them to use them so once the card is in the pouch it never has to come out. Get a lanyard with the clip off buckle for the pouch and you can just hand that piece over..easy peasy.

I just bought some luggage tags for my next cruise, but if you don’t want to spend the money I found that using some clear packing/shipping tape to kind of “laminate” the paper tags before attaching made them a little bit sturdier.

We always place the luggage tag on the top and not the side of the case. We place it on the carry handle, not the extending handle. That way it is easily visible when the luggage is in the hallway and you are trying to find it. Really does not matter, just easier to see. We also purchased the ones with the metal cable instead of the stretching plastic band. The holders have metal eyes and the cable never breaks.

image.png.da6e623b9f08aaf5ead78d102e03ee7f.png

First couple of cruises I was not a lanyard person but with just a bathing suit on most of the time I found myself at guest services like twice a week getting a new room key. Have used a lanyard for the past 3-4 cruises and haven't misplaced any keys. Also agree with the having a few dollars in the lanyard for tipping. Wife doesnt wear a lanyard though she just has me lug both keys around.

23 hours ago, mike2608 said:

Is it a good idea to use lanyards and keycard holders during the cruise? And also using luggage tag holders on the luggage for the cruise?

We did buy the luggage tag holders. They work well.  The downside, luggage tags are not a standard size between the different cruise lines so if you "cruise around" you need to buy multiple sets  As for lanyards, I found a line of cargo shorts that have a zippered pocket among the other pockets instead.  I keep my Sea Pass and other valuable cards and some cash in the pocket. I feel they are very secure.

4 hours ago, Paid4c4 said:

We use the luggage tag holder with metal attachments.  At 72 I'm not old enough for a lanyard yet.  But the lanyards are nice for people who like them.

Bill

image.png.89247a48708a1e65e7ac8389c13e30d0.png

I'm 46 and my kids are 8 and 10 and we like the convenience of the lanyards.  Not sure how age plays into it.

I'm a pocket guy because IMO passengers exaggerate how important/valuable a sea pass is. And....<pats self on back>... it has been at least 10 cruises since I have kept a sea pass in the same pocket as a cell phone and decoded it.

Luggage Tag holders? Absolutely! Nearly as important as a wristwatch.

We are luggage tag people!!!  We had a paper tag get lost/torn off one of our bags getting off the ship onetime.  We learned that luggage without tags go to a different part of the port...One we couldn't access due to customs.  The Royal reps wouldn't/couldn't help us till all the luggage was claimed.  Thankfully we had a great porter who could get into the restricted area and after several attempts he located our bag...We tipped him very well.