2018 Med Cruises (Greek isles)

tonyfsu21

My opinion: The best and easiest city for an American first time traveler to Europe is Venice, Italy--hands down! 

I would recommend arriving two days early for your cruise because it's so easy to fall in love with Venice and it's such an easy city to wander around. There is nothing you won't like and it's a great European primer.

We have been to the Greek Isles from Venice as late as mid October. The weather was still warm without being sweltering. Around 24 degrees. Also been in July to Rome and it was sweltering hot..too hot for us. Not enjoyable going sightseeing in blazing heat..We have also cruised the med early September, schools are back in and prices are generally cheaper then. Still great weather but not as hot as july/august.

My opinion: The best and easiest city for an American first time traveler to Europe is Venice, Italy--hands down! 

I would recommend arriving two days early for your cruise because it's so easy to fall in love with Venice and it's such an easy city to wander around. There is nothing you won't like and it's a great European primer.

Thanks for that. Helps with trying to decide between eastern and western Med.

I would prefer May, June or September. July and August are very hot. Two years ago we spent 3 nights in Rome after our cruise and since then I know why the Romans leave their city every August.

I also would spend sone nights in Venice. Moist of the tourists are staying only a few hours in Venice and the city is totally packed during daytime. A whole different experience late at night and during early morning hours, you will love it.

And July/August is also high season for the "Meltemi"-Winds in Greece, which can last several days and may reach 8 Bft. 

The greek isles are definitely worth a visit, especially Santorini is an absolut highlight and should be on everybody's bucket list!