Canadians: How do refunds work?

Matt

Question for our Canadian friends on re-pricing in Cruise Planner.

A person in my YT live stream last night said when a Canadian re-prices something in Cruise Planner (cancels and rebooks), when they cancel, they are refunded at the prevailing exchange rates, which means if the Canadian Dollar value drops between when they booked and when they cancel, they would get less money back.

Is this true?

Sounds about right to me. I'm in the UK and my order history shows I purchased the 3 night dining package at today's rate, when I have a receipt showing the price I actually paid was at the rate on the day of purchase. They only lock the rate when it comes to on board credit, which is when you first use it.

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Question for our Canadian friends on re-pricing in Cruise Planner.

A person in my YT live stream last night said when a Canadian re-prices something in Cruise Planner (cancels and rebooks), when they cancel, they are refunded at the prevailing exchange rates, which means if the Canadian Dollar value drops between when they booked and when they cancel, they would get less money back.

Is this true?

All my bookings are in Canadian, as are my cruise planner purchaces so any refunds I get from cancelation are exactly what I paid.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

Is this true?

If you're charging in a different currency than your credit card usually operates at, then yes.

Puchase price x exchange rate = what you paid in your local currency.

The exchange rate varies daily. Those who don't get free foreign transaction fees also get dinged for that.

What @Rose City Cruisersaid. We have booked in Canadian before (rarely) and everything was in CDN dollars in the CP. No exchange, no loss. 

Most of the time I book in USD so my CP items are all in USD. If I pay on my Canadian credit card and refund, yes, I will lose out on the exchange rate if it changes. That is the same for any US purchases I make at any US online store where I pay in USD, not just cruising.  

That is why we keep a US credit card, for cruising and shopping. 🙂