How does seating work at the Windjammer

Tret

Post COVID there have been small cards on the tables.  One side says ‘unavailable’ and the the other side says ‘clean’.  The wait staff will usually stop by and see if you need anything or pick up your dishes and flip the card to the dirty/unavailable side if you haven’t.  Once you leave and they clean they flip it back to the clean/available side.  Hope they keep this process moving forward, since it really makes it easy to find seating that is clean and ready.

We usually always leave a personal item such as a hat or a cover-up on the chair just to signal that the table is occupied. Either that or we go separately to get whatever we want, with one of us staying at the table until the other returns.

On our recent Odyssey cruise, we saw a couple return to "their" table, where they had left partially eaten food and which they had left to go and get something else, only to find that not only had the staff removed their "remains" but that somebody else had claimed the table in the meantime.

I can tell you the staff were so apologetic and couldn't do enough for them, got them resettled, brought them fresh drinks and did everything they could to make up for their mistake. But, really, how were they to know? Fortunately the people in question were understanding too and didn't make a big thing out of it after the initial shock.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, Tret said:

How is seating down at the windjamer. Does someone bring you to a open table, do you just find a open table? How do you know no one else claimed the table and is just up getting food?

First come, first served.  One of us will hold a table while the others get their food.  During busy breakfast and lunch times they play a pre-recored message urging you eat and clear out so others can have the table.  I have also seen them stop people from entering the Windjammer until others have cleared out.  They also encourage the use of the main dining room instead.

I grab a plate, a bundle of clean silverware, and set it on a table.  If I pass the drink station, I grab a drink to put on the table also.  Makes it fairly obvious the table is taken.  🍽️

Then I go load up on food.

And it does happen... Go to get seconds, (or thirds😋) and come back to another family at my table.  There's not always a way to keep your table staked out, without leaving something personal.  No big deal.  It always works out, and we laugh.😄  And we make new friends.🤩