Flowriders with Bump in the Middle

I’ve heard that some of the ships with a newer Flowrider have a seam that creates a bump in the middle of the mat. We were going to book a transatlantic on the Odyssey but heard it’s Flowrider had a bump. Does anybody know which should have bumps in their Flowrider? We’ve been on all the Oasis class, with the exception of the Wonder, and they do not have the bumps. We don’t know which of the newer ships have this issue. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

You'd consider not taking a transatlantic cruise because the Flowrider has a bump in the middle?  This is your make-or-break?

There is nothing wrong with choosing a ship based on flowrider. Some people choose based on restaurants or rooms available, some based on amenities. I would never book Wonder again bc it only has 1 flowrider causing long lines and my teens to be unhappy. Everyone has their own priorities. 

5 hours ago, ToddandKelly said:

I’ve heard that some of the ships with a newer Flowrider have a seam that creates a bump in the middle of the mat. We were going to book a transatlantic on the Odyssey but heard it’s Flowrider had a bump. Does anybody know which should have bumps in their Flowrider? We’ve been on all the Oasis class, with the exception of the Wonder, and they do not have the bumps. We don’t know which of the newer ships have this issue. Thank you!

There’s a Facebook page called Royal Caribbean flowrider society.  They will have the answer. 

On 5/30/2022 at 11:22 AM, Jkaczano said:

There is nothing wrong with choosing a ship based on flowrider. Some people choose based on restaurants or rooms available, some based on amenities. I would never book Wonder again bc it only has 1 flowrider causing long lines and my teens to be unhappy. Everyone has their own priorities. 

All my cruising decisions are based on the Flowrider too, nothing wrong with that when nothing on the ship is nearly as fun or valuable to do (to me).

I heard from folks during my last cruise that transatlantic cruises may not be the best choice when it comes to the amount of wave time you get because there are usually many advanced riders on those cruises.  Even with that risk I'd still like to go on a transatlantic cruise at some point.

On 5/30/2022 at 10:16 AM, AdventureKenandCar said:

You'd consider not taking a transatlantic cruise because the Flowrider has a bump in the middle?  This is your make-or-break?

I need to apologize.  I didn't realize there is a whole Flowrider subculture within the cruise subculture.  It's interesting seeing "how" people cruise - for some, the ship is the vacation, for others the ship is the, ahem, vessel to get them to exotic destinations.  And for others, it's a specific event or activity that gets them on board.  Whatever floats your boat (groan), it's great that we all love the "cruise life!"

I’ve seen FlowRider ‘riders’ who are phenomenal…they put on quite a show, even better than the crew members. Some are so committed that they even bring their own wetsuits and boards. At one of the Top Tier events, a new Pinnacle member even brought his board up on stage for the photo. I can appreciate the zeal that they have for the sport and understand how cruise decisions can include FlowRider considerations.

No flow no go!  I only choose ships with flowriders... same reason why I am loyal to royal, since no other line has it.

Yes they did replace the surface on Odyssey since the previous one developed bumps from sitting in the sun during the great cruising void.  I have not been on it but I heard it's better but it's still the inflatable surface which many seem to dislike compared to the tension surface on the ships your used to.

Odyssey had a ridge in the Flowrider surface that was stated to be like riding over a speedbump.  The ridge was along the seams that all of these surfaces have.  Instead of a flat welded seam it was a raised weld of the two sections.  They since replaced that surface and the seams are not pronounced as they once were.  It's now like other Flowrider surfaces. 

I was on the ship when they replaced the surface.  One of the Flowrider contactors that came on board to do the work was in the cabin next to me.  

On 6/7/2022 at 6:53 AM, twangster said:

Odyssey had a ridge in the Flowrider surface that was stated to be like riding over a speedbump.  The ridge was along the seams that all of these surfaces have.  Instead of a flat welded seam it was a raised weld of the two sections.  They since replaced that surface and the seams are not pronounced as they once were.  It's now like other Flowrider surfaces. 

I was on the ship when they replaced the surface.  One of the Flowrider contactors that came on board to do the work was in the cabin next to me.  

Small correction.  Only odyssey and wonder currently have the new inflatable flowrider surface with the seams.  All the older flowrider surfaces on other ships are tension (trampoline-like).

It does sound like all future flowriders for royal will be the new inflatable surface.

7 minutes ago, Blur said:

Small correction.  Only odyssey and wonder currently have the new inflatable flowrider surface with the seams.  All the older flowrider surfaces on other ships are tension (trampoline-like).

It does sound like all future flowriders for royal will be the new inflatable surface.

Huh.  Darn fools working on it lied to me, told me it was tensioned.

image.thumb.jpeg.0965243dfafcd18882b02c416f806dea.jpeg

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Huh.  Darn fools working on it lied to me, told me it was tensioned.

image.thumb.jpeg.0965243dfafcd18882b02c416f806dea.jpeg

It may be "tensioned" to some degree but that's definitely the inflatable surface on top.  The old tension surfaces don't have that rounded top area and the seams you can see in the picture connecting the two pieces in the middle.

I heard it was changed that way to make falls safer.  I haven't ridden the new surface yet so can't say how different it is.

Wonder, Odyssey, and Freedom have the newer inflatable surfaces. I rode the Odyssey last October before it was "fixed". I will not book a ship with the new surface in the future. The design was suppose to make it "safer" but instead it prone to having your board bottom out and more likely to fall. Not safer, but in my opinion, the more you fall, the more chance for injury. Yes, my cruise vacations are based on the Flowrider. No flow, no go!