Hurricane Season Cruising

7 hours ago, brdjnr said:

we went in December. Cococay beach water and pool water was too cold. I had psyched myself up to not care, drank copiously, it didnt matter. The water was brutally cold, particularly in the pool.  YMMV of course.

Well at the very least the pool at CocoBeachCLUB is heated now!  I do believe I have read about it somewhere on this forum 🤔

Being a New Englander I have learned never to worry about the weather but always be prepared for it. We cruise with sea sickness remedies (although we have never needed it) different levels of warm/cool clothes, rain gear, etc.  You just don't know what will come at you weatherwise when you book. I believe the odds are in your favor for a calm weather cruise regardless of when you book it for.

On 5/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, Cataloger said:

Been 25+ RCCL cruises but have always stayed away from cruising during hurricane season. We are Naples FL residents. My wife wants us to take a 4 nighter on the Freedom in late August for her birthday...Coco Cay and Nassau. Anybody been out there during hurricane season and any positive/negative comments? Thanks

Just be flexible. Hurricane season cruising means you might miss a port, get diverted, have an extra sea day, etc. We usually cruise during hurricane season, it's always fine, just sometimes things change last minute. There was one time though, coming back in to Galveston as a storm was coming in, that boat rocked so hard that even the sturdiest passenger was lurching through the halls like a drunken sailor. I think every single person in my party got sea sick. That was the worst one.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:27 AM, jaedam0820 said:

Oh shoot. I am not sure if we should go then. My son loves the water. It's what he enjoyed the most in the cruise. He didn't like the cold water coupled with the strong wind when we did Symphony two weeks ago.

We were taken on a boat several miles out, so the spot we were in may have accounted for the cold.  Beach water should be OK, as others have noted.  On the whole, we enjoyed TG and Xmas cruises to the Caribbean, and our son found a great group of kids on the ship during those times of year.

How does adjusting the itinerary work with cruises like from the northeast to Bermuda, or the short 3 nighters to the Bahamas if a hurricane is coming through?  Like we have a 5 nighter to Bermuda in September, I don’t really care if the itinerary is changed, just curious what it might change to?  Canada maybe? 

Might just cruise at sea more North of Bermuda, depending on where the storm would be heading.  I think in the Caribbean there is more leeway with finding alternate ports but sailing from, say, Cape Liberty to Bermuda there is only more North to head.  So yes, perhaps Nova Scotia?  Perhaps Maine?  Perhaps just circle around and around!