Hurricane Season Cruising

Been 25+ RCCL cruises but have always stayed away from cruising during hurricane season. We are Naples FL residents. My wife wants us to take a 4 nighter on the Freedom in late August for her birthday...Coco Cay and Nassau. Anybody been out there during hurricane season and any positive/negative comments? Thanks

Being from the Orlando area, it doesn’t seem to be much of an issue for us.  We have done a few sailings during the season and have one booked for this September.  Since the ships can sail around storms expect that if there is something, your schedule/itinerary may change but they will keep you away from the storm.  Probably not the biggest risk, but only you can determine how much you might want to chance it.  Our hope is that if something happens on one of those sailings, they can’t get back to port as planned and “darn it” we have to extend our cruise by a few days.

We had two past experiences with storms while sailing.  
- One was a passing hit from a forming depression while in the Bahamas.  Got a little rain from that but the ship made it back to Port Canaveral the next day as planned.  We had a couple days at home before the storm had grown and hit the east coast with minor damage.

- The other was a trans-Atlantic that a storm went up the east coast and disrupted our stops in the Canadian maritimes.  The captain turned the ship and sailed around the storms.  Had a day with some showers while still crossing.  The ports that were canceled were disappointing but it got us extra days in NYC.  

Good luck with the planning.

2 hours ago, Cataloger said:

Been 25+ RCCL cruises but have always stayed away from cruising during hurricane season. We are Naples FL residents. My wife wants us to take a 4 nighter on the Freedom in late August for her birthday...Coco Cay and Nassau. Anybody been out there during hurricane season and any positive/negative comments? Thanks

Yes, my first ever cruise was on Brand X to the Panama Canal.  On the day before departure we were told that we weren't going to be able to make it to the Southern and Western Caribbean because of a hurricane (I can't remember which it was).  However, after a few hours into the cruise, the Captain announced that the hurricane made an unexpected turn and the original itinerary was back on again.  It went off without a hitch.  

We, again, on Brand X were booked on a cruise leaving out of Canaveral.  As luck would have it, Hurricane Sandy was skirting up the coast and the ship was not able to come into port until the day after our embarkation date.  We had to stay in our hotel an extra night.  Our travel insurance reimbursed us for the all extra expenses for that delayed departure.  

What I'm trying to say, the cruise lines will make sure that if a Hurricane can possibly put you and the ship in danger, they will avoid it.  It may be hurricane season but it is also probably the best weather season, hurricanes excluded, for cruising.  I personally don't have any reservations to book a cruise during hurricane season, but I know that I may have to be very flexible with Ports of Call.  Don't get too attached to wanting to go to one or another.  

My very first cruise was during Hurricane season in July 2013 to grand Bahamas island (Freeport) & it was really hot like in the 90-100 degrees & that was a 2 night cruise on a ship that was owned by carnival & is now owned by Bahamas paradise cruise line. I am from Palm Bay,Fl and when I went on a cruise to the Bahamas in hurricane it was hotter than it is in Palm Bay where it is normally in the 70 degrees-90 degrees durning hurricane season. My very first cruise ever to grand Bahama island (Freeport)was smooth sailing when I went on my first cruise because the last hurricane that hit Florida before my first cruise was in 2005 & didn’t have another hurricane until 2016.

2 hours ago, Cataloger said:

My wife wants us to take a 4 nighter on the Freedom in late August for her birthday...

I'm not real good with subtile but even I heard this loud and clear....jus' say'n.

If you are really worried about the potential weather, what a great birthday surprise a B2B in Alaska, or Los Angeles, or Europe, or Singapore is going to be!!!

Ya' know....for safety.

15 hours ago, Cataloger said:

Anybody been out there during hurricane season and any positive/negative comments?

If there's a storm, ship goes elsewhere.

I enjoy the great prices of cruising during hurricane season.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/03/30/what-know-about-cruising-during-hurricane-season-the-caribbean

19 hours ago, Cataloger said:

We sailed the Harmony in September 2019 just after a hurricane - like the day after a near-hit.  We found the oceans calm and the water clear.  Worst weather we've had on a cruise was not a hurricane, just a spring storm that the Oasis sailed through.

Guess our hurricane experience was worse than most - ship tried to avoid storm but did not.  Ship rock and rolled; most merchandise in stores was on floor and many things broken.  Top decks closed.  Everything on shelves and counters in stateroom on floor.  One person in our party actually got thrown out of bed at night.  Meals affected because cooks could not work.  Ports closed.  Too many other choices without hurricanes to choose for us to ever repeat!

1 hour ago, Allen2 said:

Ship rock and rolled; most merchandise in stores was on floor and many things broken.  Top decks closed.

Avoiding the storm doesn't mean calm sea conditions.

Your ship wont go near a storm, but that doesn't mean there wont be motion in the ocean.

To be fair, poor sea conditions are not limited to hurricane season. Remember that infamous Anthem of the Seas cruise that had terrible waves? It was in February, which is not hurricane season.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Avoiding the storm doesn't mean calm sea conditions.

Your ship wont go near a storm, but that doesn't mean there wont be motion in the ocean.

To be fair, poor sea conditions are not limited to hurricane season. Remember that infamous Anthem of the Seas cruise that had terrible waves? It was in February, which is not hurricane season.

I had friends on that Anthem cruise and a couple were first time cruisers....the wives NEVER AGAIN...and they have not cruised since

I went on the Allure of the seas out of FT lauderdale in august of 2019 for my first RCL cruise with my family. We were a little nervous because it was hurricane season. However it worked great for use because the ports changed and our cruise got extended.  With any travel during that time there are risks that your cruise could be canceled or ports could be changed. But as long as you are ok with the changes I don't see a problem cruising during hurricane season. 

The ships tend to go around any bad weather as much as they can.   I do not cruise in July and August because it is too hot.  We can travel anytime.   In Sept/Oct we usually cruise in Europe.   But the hurricane season would not deter me from traveling those months.   Enjoy!!!

My first Cruise was on the other royalty line in October.  I was worried about the rocking of the ship since I can get motion sickness. My older sisters told me that the big ships don't rock and I won't feel a thing.  (Their previous experience have been in the Mediterranean Sea.) Fortunately,  I did not believe them and got the patch.  

During the cruise,  the waters were so rough (no hurricane) that the captain apologized that he had to pull in the stabilizers. As we were walking back from the a show, we found ourselves unable to walk a straight line, weaving from side to side in the halls.  At this point I turned to my sisters and said,  "So, I won't feel thing?" We laughed our way back to our rooms.  

Moral of this story,  expect rough seas but expect to have a good time. 

It's just a crap shoot.    But, wouldn't let that get in the way of a good cruise, especially if you're getting the right price.  If there's an issue, the ship will steer away from the bad stuff.  And there could be itinerary changes.  You just don't know in the Caribbean, which is I favor Alaska, west coast or Med cruises during hurricane season.

the weather in the Caribbean is fantastic in the late summer and in fall if it weren't for the occasional hurricane! We have actually had a great time during the season. 

We were on Liberty a few weeks after Harvey Hit the Texas Gulf coast. Katia hit further south that week and Irma was headed for Florida. We had clear weather but the Gulf was rocking big swells for first cruising day.  Once we got to Cozumel it was smooth sailing for the rest of the trip. 

Our August cruise on Enchantment out of Galveston was faboo! 

The 2 cruises we have had itineraries shifted due to weather conditions were in March and late December. March 2020 was probably the choppiest cruise we have been on, we had Costa May canceled due to high surf and this last Christmas we had to go around a winter "feature" in the Gulf which shifted our port days around. 

Hurricanes have a very good forecast window. So they don’t just ‘pop up’ as a surprise. Except for changes in direction. Cruise lines are very adept at avoiding them and the worst of the weather. I have been on cruises in the winter where at-sea Bomb Cyclones were not forecast…they just went from passing severe weather fronts to worsening conditions…to very heavy seas and wind….and ‘boom!’…Bomb Cyclone! And still, the ship handled them very well. The Captain and his staff, along with shoreside forecasters, team up and do a good job of avoiding the worst. 
Whenever I sail from NJ to Bermuda or the Bahamas/Caribbean during hurricane season, and prior to boarding…if there is a hurricane brewing…I always pack a few warmer things in the event the ship is diverted north. Just in case.

We've only been on 4 cruises, but 3 of them have been in the last quarter of the year and we've never had any bad weather, not even rain, except for a sprinkle in Cozumel that didn't even get our shirts wet...  But as I understand and as others have said, the captains can steer clear of hurricane weather and/or ports can be cancelled/changed...but it's honestly, IMO, just like any other vacation no matter where you go...you take the change of bad weather everywhere...

I say, go and enjoy yourself.  Make the best of whatever weather you have. 

I won't be jealous that you're going without me.  LOL.

As others have said, this is all routine for the cruise line and they will make sure you stay out of harm's way. Also this may help your decision:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Atlantic_hurricane_season

Scroll to the bottom and you can see last year's hurricanes and tropical storms, the dates, and the areas that were affected. I'd say your chances are pretty good that you will avoid a hurricane even in hurricane season.

We are leaving Friday to go to the Bahamas and I am so torn on whether or not we should cancel due to the chance of a tropical storm.  I am taking my daughter for her 13th birthday and all she wants to do is spend time in the sun and visit the different stops.  Does anyone have any advice.  I am driving myself crazy trying to make the right decision. 

I’ve always thought one of the benefits to cruising was that the ship keeps moving.  Weathers bad day one? you’ll be somewhere else on day two! I’m not sure if this truly decreases the odds that your vacation doesn’t get ruined by bad weather, but it feels like you have a better chance moving than staying still!

5 hours ago, Megan86 said:

We are leaving Friday to go to the Bahamas and I am so torn on whether or not we should cancel due to the chance of a tropical storm.  I am taking my daughter for her 13th birthday and all she wants to do is spend time in the sun and visit the different stops.  Does anyone have any advice.  I am driving myself crazy trying to make the right decision. 

I don't think you can guarantee you'll make the right decision, but you can follow a sound process.  Have you engaged your daughter in the discussion?   Even when there is a low chance of a tropical storm, you could encounter bad weather along the way.  My bias would be to complete the cruise, but only after I considered my child's input.

5 hours ago, Megan86 said:

I'd stay the course.  Cruises have a way of making great memories even if what you originally had planned to do during the cruise didn't work out.

11 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I don't think you can guarantee you'll make the right decision, but you can follow a sound process.  Have you engaged your daughter in the discussion?   Even when there is a low chance of a tropical storm, you could encounter bad weather along the way.  My bias would be to complete the cruise, but only after I considered my child's input.

Yes!  She still wants to go.  I told her worst case scenario, we can't really do many outdoor activities, but we will still have a good time.  I also told her I would book another one if it does get ruined by the weather.  I feel a little more positive today and just hoping for the best.

54 minutes ago, jaedam0820 said:

Anybody experienced cruising in November in the Caribbean? How was the weather like? 

We took Thanksgiving cruises, and I recall the water in Nassau was very cold for snorkeling, but pleasant outside for sight-seeing.  Ditto our other ports of call.

8 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

We took Thanksgiving cruises, and I recall the water in Nassau was very cold for snorkeling, but pleasant outside for sight-seeing.  Ditto our other ports of call.

Oh shoot. I am not sure if we should go then. My son loves the water. It's what he enjoyed the most in the cruise. He didn't like the cold water coupled with the strong wind when we did Symphony two weeks ago.

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I can't imagine the water too cold.  We normally vacation in West Palm over Thanksgiving and water is close to 80 there.

3 hours ago, jaedam0820 said:

Oh shoot. I am not sure if we should go then. My son loves the water. It's what he enjoyed the most in the cruise. He didn't like the cold water coupled with the strong wind when we did Symphony two weeks ago.

we went in December. Cococay beach water and pool water was too cold. I had psyched myself up to not care, drank copiously, it didnt matter. The water was brutally cold, particularly in the pool.  YMMV of course.

8 hours ago, jaedam0820 said:

Anybody experienced cruising in November in the Caribbean? How was the weather like? 

October and November is our usual dates of cruising.  No problem.  The cruise line will avoid, as much as possible, bad weather.  Just be flexible with your desired Ports of Call.  What you expected to visit may not be what you get.  

5 hours ago, BigKarl said:

We booked a Sept. Cruise in 1998 and I became the Joke among crew members.  We had four Hurricanes all at the same time during the Cruise and only missed one port. The Joke was that the biggest Hurricane threat came from Hurricane "Karl."

image.thumb.jpeg.87336c2c1969078d8a235da52000f576.jpeg

It would have been perfect if there was a Hurricane Karen out there, too.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:12 PM, Megan86 said:

We fly out Saturday for the June 5th sailing on Mariner. We’re coming all the way from San Francisco. No way am I canceling unless something cancels on me!!! We will sort out whatever is thrown our way! Travel during covid and the onset of Hurricane season is def crazy. My daughter is 13 too. 🙂