Radiance OTS, New or Old Panama Canal Locks

25 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

I am considering booking the Radiance OTS October 2022 Panama Canal cruise. I cannot find anywhere on the RC site information about the transit. Does anyone know whether she uses the old or new locks?

Likely the old, since she fits. But it may depend on what other traffic is scheduled that day. 

Radiance of the Seas transited the Panama Canal old locks on 1 April 2022 (this year) so she will probably transit using the old locks (new ones are much more expensive from what I am reading on cruise critic).  We are on the 20 October 2022 cruise and are definitely looking forward to this bucket list trip that was cancelled 2 years ago.

8 hours ago, Shari said:

Radiance of the Seas transited the Panama Canal old locks on 1 April 2022 (this year) so she will probably transit using the old locks (new ones are much more expensive from what I am reading on cruise critic).  We are on the 20 October 2022 cruise and are definitely looking forward to this bucket list trip that was cancelled 2 years ago.

We were booked on Radiance as a bucket list trip that was cancelled 2 years ago.  I don't recall what happened exactly but I'm now booked on Serenade this October 2022.  As long as I don't kick the bucket between now and then, we intend to go this time.

1 hour ago, RWDW1204 said:

Difference between locks?

I think the primary difference is history. The old ones have the ship towed through the canal by the locomotives and it is just more reminiscent of the old days. As a history buff, and Pamana Canal newbie, old is good. 

41 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

I think the primary difference is history. The old ones have the ship towed through the canal by the locomotives and it is just more reminiscent of the old days. As a history buff, and Pamana Canal newbie, old is good. 

Sounds good. How do you know which one it will be?

• 2 weeks later...