What's the worst cruise tip you've ever heard?

Matt

16 hours ago, endofturn said:

A balcony is the best way to cruise.

While a balcony is nice, for the cost an interior or promenade room gets you the same cruise with access to all the same things. The saved money can be spent on anything.

Of course most of the people on cruise sites seem like money is no issue and they just do star suites every 3 months so that's what they'll keep saying. 

I actually like inside cabins because I can sleep off "jet lag" much faster.  My wife prefers ocean view.  We opt for the balcony only when it isn't much more than ocean view (booking 18-24 months in advance seems to bring the price down).  That said, the extra space in a balcony room is nice if you have a family of 3 or 4.  So for me, the worst advice would be "only select X room".  All types of rooms have their place.  Now that we are getting older, I am wishing we had taken more cruises when we were younger; I guess I saved too much for retirement!

The worst advice we got was from someone we call "The Todd" and he told us that they only bring carry on for any cruise.  They only bring 1 change of clothes and that is for the trip home.  The entire cruise they only wear the cruise supplied robes.  We even saw them down on the pier in the robes.  um no thank you!

22 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I would say the opposite, I’m not saying don’t use a travel agent but they definitely aren’t necessary. The times I’ve used them it was me contacting them to tell them I found a better price.

I agree totally.  The only reason I use my TA company is because of their OBCs.  No other reason.  Our TA has never called us to notify us that the cruise company has reduced the price of our category room and had it lowered for us.  When I call my TA company, I usually get the same answers from my TA as I would by calling Royal directly.  The answers are like:  I think, it's the way it always has been, it SHOULD be like that, when I cruised....., and so on and so on and so on.  A TA company that deals with every kind of travel, air, land, sea, tours, legal requirements from all involved countries, and more, in my opinion, can't be completely proficient with all aspects of any of those examples.  Unfortunately, Landside isn't any better even though they, for the most part, only deal with their company's policies and procedures.  

BTW, I'm not picking on Royal exclusively, Brand X was much worse.  

59 minutes ago, Shari said:

The worst advice we got was from someone we call "The Todd" and he told us that they only bring carry on for any cruise.  They only bring 1 change of clothes and that is for the trip home.  The entire cruise they only wear the cruise supplied robes.  We even saw them down on the pier in the robes.  um no thank you!

Doesn't sound like someone I'd like to sit next to in the MDR, theatre, tender, whatever.  

5 hours ago, 10-42 said:

I agree totally.  The only reason I use my TA company is because of their OBCs.  No other reason.  Our TA has never called us to notify us that the cruise company has reduced the price of our category room and had it lowered for us.  When I call my TA company, I usually get the same answers from my TA as I would by calling Royal directly.  The answers are like:  I think, it's the way it always has been, it SHOULD be like that, when I cruised....., and so on and so on and so on.  A TA company that deals with every kind of travel, air, land, sea, tours, legal requirements from all involved countries, and more, in my opinion, can't be completely proficient with all aspects of any of those examples.  Unfortunately, Landside isn't any better even though they, for the most part, only deal with their company's policies and procedures.  

BTW, I'm not picking on Royal exclusively, Brand X was much worse.  

You are using the wrong TA.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, San Diego Garrett said:

That the calories on cruises don't count.

This is true though. I was told they have a highly patented, super secret calorie sucking machine in the kitchen that each ingredient goes through before its delivered to the passengers via special plates that keep the calories from returning to the food before it's eaten. Utensils also have magic powers to deter calories from counting. Heard it from a very reputable source. 

Just kidding. I made that up but wouldn't that be so cool!?

On 5/28/2022 at 12:04 PM, 10-42 said:

I have a daughter that is totally and completely against. cruising.  I've been trying to get her to cruise for a few years now.  She has relented, just a little.  She says that she will go only on a 3 day cruise.  My response:  You won't get the full experience of the ship, especially an Oasis Class or Quantum Class ship in 3 days.  A three day cruise cruise "USUALLY" amounts to leaving a Southeastern port, cruising over night to the Bahamas, dock in the morning, take advantage of the Perfect Day or Island City, get back on the ship and cruise back to the Southeastern port, and get off the ship.  How can you experience the whole experience like that.  I've been on 3 Oasis Class ships, on 7 and 8 night cruises and I'm sure that there are STILL things that I didn't know exist or didn't get to it.  I told her that if she wants to go on a cruise like that, it wont be with me.  The shortest cruise I'll take is a 7 nighter.  

When I hear people say that they were not happy with cruising and only went on ONE three day cruise, I can only ASSUME that they didn't have a full experience.  I never wanted to cruise until I did.  Now I'm hooked.  My first cruise was an 8 day to the Panama Canal on Brand X.  Haven't looked back, well except for not cruising Brand X anymore.  

I do RESPECT your opinion though!

I completely agree with the advice to avoid 3 day cruises, especially for first timers.  But there are always going to be extenuating circumstances.  If you daughter will only take a 3 day, then go with what you can.

I had an extenuating circumstance once and took my dad on a 3 day cruise.  He wanted to go, but was on dialysis and couldn't be away from it for more than 4 days.  Dialysis at Sea is a thing, but prohibitively expensive.  We took an end of season 3 night cruise out of Seattle and he loved it.  Sadly, he passed away 6 months later, so we were never able to go again.