What's the worst cruise tip you've ever heard?

Matt

Ever talked to a family member, friend, or heard someone post on social media advice for going on a cruise that was just plain bad?

From make sure you take local currency in Puerto Rico, to no one needs travel insurance, share what advice you've heard that is just plain bad.

Matt, the comment I hear the most is "you don't need a Travel Agent to book a cruise and you will get a better price booking directly through the Cruise Line.  I consistently get better deals through Paz my TA.  Along with better deals I have an advocate who works for me and behalf not the cruise line should there be a problem.  I am glad to say in my 69 cruises with RCCL there hasn't been a problem we couldn't work out.  Great question.

Bill

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Ever talked to a family member, friend, or heard someone post on social media advice for going on a cruise that was just plain bad?

From make sure you take local currency in Puerto Rico, to no one needs travel insurance, share what advice you've heard that is just plain bad.

Years ago, I asked a travel agent how far in advance I should book a cruise.  I was told it didn't really matter, but 6 months was probably good.  I have since learned to book early, when deployment schedules are announced.  

I know that Matt might take offense, but….

For first time cruisers, don’t book a short cruise.

I have personally given this advice, and more often than not, I found that cruising wasn’t for everyone and those people complained that they wanted off after 2-3 days.

I say go in a 3 night cruise and if it left you wanting more, spend the money you would have spent on a long cruise and go on another. 

Don’t hate on the answer, hate on the people who don’t like cruising. 

Another one: don’t worry about getting seasick. 

I have NEVER gotten sick on roller coasters, airplanes ranging from single prop Cessna to jumbo jets, fishing boats, or any other type of transportation. Then, on one cruise, I was in an aft room during turbulent seas, reading a book next to the window. That combination took its toll on me. Now I take a bottle of Dramamine regardless of whether I need it. 

8 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

1.  This piece of art will be worth double what your paying before the years out.

2.  This Invicta watch is a quality timepiece and you can’t find it cheaper anywhere but here.

3.  You can only order two lobsters on lobster night.

To be fair, those aren’t really “advice,” they are plain false and dumb assertions. But yes, those are terrible assertions!

10 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

I know that Matt might take offense, but….

For first time cruisers, don’t book a short cruise.

I have personally given this advice, and more often than not, I found that cruising wasn’t for everyone and those people complained that they wanted off after 2-3 days.

I say go in a 3 night cruise and if it left you wanting more, spend the money you would have spent on a long cruise and go on another. 

Don’t hate on the answer, hate on the people who don’t like cruising. 

I have a daughter that is totally and completely against. cruising.  I've been trying to get her to cruise for a few years now.  She has relented, just a little.  She says that she will go only on a 3 day cruise.  My response:  You won't get the full experience of the ship, especially an Oasis Class or Quantum Class ship in 3 days.  A three day cruise cruise "USUALLY" amounts to leaving a Southeastern port, cruising over night to the Bahamas, dock in the morning, take advantage of the Perfect Day or Island City, get back on the ship and cruise back to the Southeastern port, and get off the ship.  How can you experience the whole experience like that.  I've been on 3 Oasis Class ships, on 7 and 8 night cruises and I'm sure that there are STILL things that I didn't know exist or didn't get to it.  I told her that if she wants to go on a cruise like that, it wont be with me.  The shortest cruise I'll take is a 7 nighter.  

When I hear people say that they were not happy with cruising and only went on ONE three day cruise, I can only ASSUME that they didn't have a full experience.  I never wanted to cruise until I did.  Now I'm hooked.  My first cruise was an 8 day to the Panama Canal on Brand X.  Haven't looked back, well except for not cruising Brand X anymore.  

I do RESPECT your opinion though!

2 hours ago, Paid4c4 said:

Matt, the comment I hear the most is "you don't need a Travel Agent to book a cruise and you will get a better price booking directly through the Cruise Line.  I consistently get better deals through Paz my TA.  Along with better deals I have an advocate who works for me and behalf not the cruise line should there be a problem.  I am glad to say in my 69 cruises with RCCL there hasn't been a problem we couldn't work out.  Great question.

Bill

I would say the opposite, I’m not saying don’t use a travel agent but they definitely aren’t necessary. The times I’ve used them it was me contacting them to tell them I found a better price.

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

I have a daughter that is totally and completely against. cruising.  I've been trying to get her to cruise for a few years now.  She has relented, just a little.  She says that she will go only on a 3 day cruise.  My response:  You won't get the full experience of the ship, especially an Oasis Class or Quantum Class ship in 3 days.  A three day cruise cruise "USUALLY" amounts to leaving a Southeastern port, cruising over night to the Bahamas, dock in the morning, take advantage of the Perfect Day or Island City, get back on the ship and cruise back to the Southeastern port, and get off the ship.  How can you experience the whole experience like that.  I've been on 3 Oasis Class ships, on 7 and 8 night cruises and I'm sure that there are STILL things that I didn't know exist or didn't get to it.  I told her that if she wants to go on a cruise like that, it wont be with me.  The shortest cruise I'll take is a 7 nighter.  

When I hear people say that they were not happy with cruising and only went on ONE three day cruise, I can only ASSUME that they didn't have a full experience.  I never wanted to cruise until I did.  Now I'm hooked.  My first cruise was an 8 day to the Panama Canal on Brand X.  Haven't looked back, well except for not cruising Brand X anymore.  

I do RESPECT your opinion though!

Thanks. I get the counter argument. I really do, especially because I love cruising. Think if it this way, when my kids are at a buffet, and this goes for my spouse too, I tell them, even if something looks amazing, get a small portion to see if you like it first. Then go back for how ever much you want. 

for us, shorter cruise options are limited to 3 night cruises to Ensenada. Smaller ships. 3 nights was plenty to experience a great deal of things in the ship. Of course, I don’t know that I would ever recommend a short cruise on an oasis class ship. That’s a whole lot of ship!

20 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Another one: don’t worry about getting seasick. 

I have NEVER gotten sick on roller coasters, airplanes ranging from single prop Cessna to jumbo jets, fishing boats, or any other type of transportation. Then, on one cruise, I was in an aft room during turbulent seas, reading a book next to the window. That combination took its toll on me. Now I take a bottle of Dramamine regardless of whether I need it. 

My last cruise - May 13 - 20, 2022, Alaska, we got those patches you put behind your ear.   I've never been more than feeling a little woozy on any cruise ship.  But, I figured that we were going to cruise in the North Pacific and I watch a lot of TV, so I'd get the patches.  Well, we did have one day/nigh of heavy seas, not too bad though.  I never felt bad at all.  So, I wasted paying for the prescription behind ear patches.  

8 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I would say the opposite, I’m not saying don’t use a travel agent but they definitely aren’t necessary. The times I’ve used them it was me contacting them to tell them I found a better price.

My experience with TA is 50/50 good/bad. I can agree either way on this one.

8 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

My last cruise - May 13 - 20, 2022, Alaska, we got those patches you put behind your ear.   I've never been more than feeling a little woozy on any cruise ship.  But, I figured that we were going to cruise in the North Pacific and I watch a lot of TV, so I'd get the patches.  Well, we did have one day/nigh of heavy seas, not too bad though.  I never felt bad at all.  So, I wasted paying for the prescription behind ear patches.  

Good to hear you didn’t get seasick! May I ask why prescription patches and not just a $10 bottle of Dramamine?

9 minutes ago, CruisingNewb said:

Good to hear you didn’t get seasick! May I ask why prescription patches and not just a $10 bottle of Dramamine?

Scopolamine 1 MG/ 3 day patch.  Apply 1 patch every 72 hours by transdermal route as directed.  From CVS.

To be clear, we never used them. That's why I say that it was a waste of my money.  They aren't expensive though!

7 minutes ago, 10-42 said:

Scopolamine 1 MG/ 3 day patch.  Apply 1 patch every 72 hours by transdermal route as directed.  From CVS.

To be clear, we never used them. That's why I say that it was a waste of my money.  They aren't expensive though!

Was just wondering how much of a difference between the patch and the pill. Good to know it’s an affordable option though. My parents cruise a lot but get sea sick often. I will pass on this info to them. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

My neighbor (a Carnival cruiser) advised me to make sure I go to guest services and remove the tips because it makes the cruise too expensive. He also had some great ideas on sneaking alcohol onboard.

I smiled and added another reason why I prefer Royal.

That is one reason, of many, I left Brand X (I'll never use their actual LOGO or name again).  Too many people trying to screw crew members and the cruise line.  I have read, at least from one person, in here that they try to sneak alcohol on.  Needless to say, I didn't respond very positively to it.  It's despicable.  Not only are they trying to screw the cruise line but they are screwing a crew member out of the 18% tip added automatically, plus extra if you so desire.  I sure hope that the people that do this aren't trying to support their family thousands of miles away, in 3rd world countries (often) and are gone for months and months at at time.  

FAR TOO MANY CLASSLESS PEOPLE ON BRAND X, period.

A balcony is the best way to cruise.

While a balcony is nice, for the cost an interior or promenade room gets you the same cruise with access to all the same things. The saved money can be spent on anything.

Of course most of the people on cruise sites seem like money is no issue and they just do star suites every 3 months so that's what they'll keep saying. 

1 hour ago, endofturn said:

A balcony is the best way to cruise.

While a balcony is nice, for the cost an interior or promenade room gets you the same cruise with access to all the same things. The saved money can be spent on anything.

Of course most of the people on cruise sites seem like money is no issue and they just do star suites every 3 months so that's what they'll keep saying. 

Or people like my wife and I.  We just got off of a Star Class last week, it took over 2 years to get to it.  We have another Star Class booked in January 2024.  This gives us time to save up for that very expensive gift to each other.  I'm very middle class, a retired Army Sergeant and Social Security <for the both of us, we try to live below our means so I can afford to save a little each month to do what we love and pamper ourselves once every other year or so.  Don't know how many cruises we have left in us but we will make the best of it and will go first class.  Money is a huge issue to us but we know how to budget and save. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Balcony cabin isnt bad advice. Just not advise that works for everyone

The in-laws are diamond plus and keep insisting that everyone should get interior cabins because you’re never in there anyway. Since we travel with our two young boys, I have to disagree with their take. Balcony cabins can be lifesavers for the right cruisers. 

My bad advice is "don't cruise, you spend way less on land." I have so heard from so many people who say just go to a resort in the Caribbean or Mexico, it will be so much cheaper. Not realizing that any experience can cost depending on what you want to do.

Or"........." isn't worth it. I have heard specialty dining is worth it, drinks packages, higher class cabin, etc. I actually didn't do specialty dining for years because I felt like it wasn't "worth" it. Fast forward and you realize that it is very personal as to what you are willing to splurge on. 

9 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Was just wondering how much of a difference between the patch and the pill. Good to know it’s an affordable option though. My parents cruise a lot but get sea sick often. I will pass on this info to them. Thanks!

I use the patch all the time when I am cruising or scuba diving.  I would highly recommend the patch.  Warning: you should start the patch the day before and use it continuously while you are on the ship. After applying a patch, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before touching your face. The patch is not a quick fix for sea sickness but a continously relief.  It should be used by people like me that get sea sick all the time.  What a relief it has been for me. 

7 hours ago, 10-42 said:

Or people like my wife and I.  We just got off of a Star Class last week, it took over 2 years to get to it.  We have another Star Class booked in January 2024.  This gives us time to save up for that very expensive gift to each other.  I'm very middle class, a retired Army Sergeant and Social Security <for the both of us, we try to live below our means so I can afford to save a little each month to do what we love and pamper ourselves once every other year or so.  Don't know how many cruises we have left in us but we will make the best of it and will go first class.  Money is a huge issue to us but we know how to budget and save. 

As they say, go first class now or your kids will go first class later.