Serenade May 15-22, 2022 Fantastic first cruise and 15th anniversary Alaska trip (post-cruise report)

CruiseMom82

Apologies for posting a non-live report in this forum. I just wanted to sum up some aspects of the cruise, while things are still fresh. We were on Serenade May 15-22, 2022, from Vancouver to Alaska. I will share some info that could be useful to others, as well as some more personal reflections. In sharing our experiences, I hope nothing comes across as too political. YMMV. 

Due to airline schedule changes, we arrived in Vancouver 2 nights ahead of time rather than 1, giving us a whole day to explore Vancouver. We stayed at Le hotel Soleil near Canada place, which was an excellent value considering the location and set up of our mini-suite. Waking up early due to the time change from the East Coast, we had some delicious coffee and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Not much else seemed to be open at 6:30-7:00 on a Saturday. Following this, we headed over to scope out the cruise port and try to find where we needed to go the next day for check-in. We were told it would be clearly marked the next day (which was half true), and we checked out some other ships docked there in the rain. (Thought I had a Pic but can’t find ; )

We had reserved E bikes at Jo-E Cycle  near Stanley Park. The rental process was quite smooth, and we tried them out in the small alleyway next-door before heading to the park. I must admit I found the E bike a little intimidating to ride on the actual Road in Vancouver. In some places there is a dedicated bike lane but not on every street, besides this the roads go up and down hills, and it was pretty wet that day. Once we made it to the park things were definitely easier as there is a dedicated bike path that goes around the whole park on the seawall. At some points it is necessary to walk your bike, and I was a little nervous about having the extra oomph from the battery and accidentally going off the raised bike path onto the pedestrian path. The views of Stanley Park and the water were absolutely fantastic, and we had an exhilarating time. Even with the somewhat bad weather, the park was fairly busy. We also got a chance to admire some small boats and even a houseboat/boathouse(?) nearby. It took us about an hour and a half to ride around the park and after returning the e-bikes, we decided to walk to Gastown.

98C9BB0E-61C5-46CD-8184-6F1394414E2D.jpeg

D4AB10B9-3958-40EE-B0AE-D03B3C7A2092.jpeg

53E6B5BE-3543-4557-8823-89BC8AD29C56.jpeg