Voom and multiple devices

First time cruiser here, I'm looking st the voom surf and stream package but I'm confused on how I'm supposed to buy this. It's me and my husband going and I want to purchase a package for both of our phones. So would I select both of our names and two devices, or both names and one device, or one name and two devices. I'm so confused please help.

I’m looking to purchase the streaming package but have a question about the pricing. If I select 1 device for both my husband and I, it is $60 more vs if I select only one person with 2 devices. If I go with the cheaper option will we be both be able to use 1 device each?

@Brialune, @VivK, welcome to the boards. 🙂

Choosing the one person/two devices option lets you have any two devices connected simultaneously and is almost always cheaper than buying two single user packages.

When you get onboard you connect to the app and set up a password. Whoever has the password can connect a device. It doesn't matter who the device belongs to or what type of device it is. If someone tries to connect a third device, one of the other two will get disconnected. If you want to change to a different device, you can actively log out of the one you are currently using and log in on the new one.

There is a dedicated Voom desk on board where you can go for assistance, if needed.

If you don’t think you will both need to use it constantly, you can easily purchase a one person one device package. You can share the same login ID and pin number. Even if one person forgets to log out, when the other person logs in, they can click on “switch devices” and it will log the other person out. It’s actually quite easy and straightforward and you save quite a bit of money that way. It seems that the login is the only way they keep track of which devices are on the system, there is no penalty for using the “one device package “on different devices. It just has to be one device at a time. I’m not sure where your sailing is going, but for our recent Alaska cruise we probably could’ve gotten away with not having a package at all, as we had terrific AT&T service whenever we were in Port, which was pretty often. We only had downtime for the network when we were at sea, and on those days the ships Wi-Fi didn’t work that great either.

@Brialune, @VivK, This is a common confusion and is best illustrated by the process of reserving a cabana on Coco Cay.  These cost a few hundred dollars and let you bring 6-8 people depending on the location.  But when you purchase, you're only supposed to have one person purchase the cabana.  If you list 6-8 people, you'd actually be trying to reserve 6-8 cabanas which would cost thousands!  At least in that case it's very obvious something is wrong because the bill is so extreme.

The same logic applies with Voom.  Have one person purchase a plan that supports the max number of devices you want to connect at the same time.

• 1 year later...

The more you look at (forms similar to the one mentioned above) 🙂and do some mock orders, you'll see what's up.  That's the only way I can word my post without it being denied.

Cheapest Cost:  If your group is 2-4 passengers, order the VOOM package under just 1 passenger's name.  Click on 2-4 devices.
Considerably Higher Cost: if your group is 2-4 passengers, order the package for everybody, click on 1 device.  Might be preferred, but it's not required.
Insanely Highest Cost: if your group is 2-4 passengers, order the package for everybody, click on 2-4 devices.  Big mistake, but very common.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Going on a cruise this December with 4 guests including myself (2 rooms). I understand that it is best to buy 4 devices under 1 guest but does it matter if the devices being used are spread out across the ship or do all the devices have to be used relatively close? Hope someone can clarify this for me thank you!!

10 hours ago, CruiserD said:

Hi there,

Going on a cruise this December with 4 guests including myself (2 rooms). I understand that it is best to buy 4 devices under 1 guest but does it matter if the devices being used are spread out across the ship or do all the devices have to be used relatively close? Hope someone can clarify this for me thank you!!

Hi @CruiserD and welcome to the boards.

It makes no difference where you are on the ship.

The most important thing is that everyone in your party understands they can only have one device connected each and that they should log out on their current device before switching to another otherwise they will randomly kick one of the other devices off.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Looking for help on this same topic....I think I am understanding correctly but just want to verify.  We have a family of 5 (husband and I and 3 teenage boys) cruising this summer.  We'd like to purchase access for 5 devices (1 for each of us).  If I select "3 devices" and then just click on myself and my husband, that means we would EACH get access for 3 devices, correct?  Not just 3 devices total between us?  If it's 3 each that would actually be access for one more device than we need, but selecting "1 device" and all five of our names is hundreds of dollars more!  I'd appreciate any clarification on this:) 

1 hour ago, Confused Cruiser said:

Hello,

Looking for help on this same topic....I think I am understanding correctly but just want to verify.  We have a family of 5 (husband and I and 3 teenage boys) cruising this summer.  We'd like to purchase access for 5 devices (1 for each of us).  If I select "3 devices" and then just click on myself and my husband, that means we would EACH get access for 3 devices, correct?  Not just 3 devices total between us?  If it's 3 each that would actually be access for one more device than we need, but selecting "1 device" and all five of our names is hundreds of dollars more!  I'd appreciate any clarification on this:) 

Yes, you are correct, it would be 3 devices for you and 3 devices for your husband. You may want to check the price for 3 devices for one of you plus 2 devices for the other, in case 3+2 works out cheaper than 3+3. Also try 4+1. Whichever works out the cheapest is the way to go.

Just be sure your boys understand that since they will be sharing log-in details they can each only have a single device connected at any time. With the multiple device package, if someone tries to connect one device too many one of the other devices will be kicked off.

1 hour ago, Confused Cruiser said:

Hello,

Our family is in the same position as you, husband, wife and 3 boys. What I did is what FionaMG mentioned in her post, that is I purchased a 4 device plan plus a single plan as this was the cheapest way for us to do it at the time.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, carol118 said:

So if I'm going on cruise with my family of 4, and I purchase 1 internet package for 4 devices, will all 4 of us be able to use the wifi at the same time? or what would happen if I just buy one device for all 4 of us to share?

If you buy one device, then only one device at a time can be online. 

So yes, all 4 of you can share it, but you'll have to sign in and out to allow one of the four of you on.

11 hours ago, carol118 said:

So if I'm going on cruise with my family of 4, and I purchase 1 internet package for 4 devices, will all 4 of us be able to use the wifi at the same time? or what would happen if I just buy one device for all 4 of us to share?

If you buy 1 internet package for 1 device only, you can all use it (switching devices is allowed) but only one of you can be online at any time.

If you buy 1 internet package for 4 devices, all four of you can be online at the same time, each on their own device but the minute someone tries to connect a second device, one of the other devices will get disconnected.