Using Cell Phone On Ship

I'm not as old as I may sound in this post, so bear with me 😀.  We will be on the Harmony of the Seas next week.  We have the "voom" internet package for ourselves and our two sons.  I know that they will want to talk to their significant others who will not be with us while we are on the ship.  Are there no phone charges/fees (charged by either your phone carrier or the cruise ship) if you use Facetime?  There would be charges if you just called home directly with your cell phone, correct? 

If you have wifi calling turned on on your phone (which nearly all phones/carriers have now) you can make phone calls without incurring any charge (be sure airplane mode is on).  You can also Facetime if you prefer.

You can test it at home, if you have wifi at home.  Turn your phone on airplane mode, turn on wifi calling and  place a call.

1 hour ago, Bombay1 said:

I'm not as old as I may sound in this post, so bear with me 😀.  We will be on the Harmony of the Seas next week.  We have the "voom" internet package for ourselves and our two sons.  I know that they will want to talk to their significant others who will not be with us while we are on the ship.  Are there no phone charges/fees (charged by either your phone carrier or the cruise ship) if you use Facetime?  There would be charges if you just called home directly with your cell phone, correct? 

Hello 

As long as you are using the ship's wifi to make facetime calls or voice over IP calls such as using skype voice, whatsapp, and other VOIP services you should not incur any charges. One thing however to be very careful of is ensuring that you phone's data plan is not active while sailing. If you get connected through your phones' data plan you could be charged via your provider. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Green said:

Just be advised that I have read other reviews where depending on the Ship, Time of Day, Users, etc. that Voom alone sometimes is only good for texting off ship and Voom & Stream are more reliable and stable for Facetime and making calls.

don't forget location on the ship as some locations are able to access the Wireless Access Point better than others.  If your paying for access you might just as well get Surf and Stream.